Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much is my Carbon frame worth?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Hi all, got a Trek STP200 Carbon frame in a 20″ in blue, good condition.
    Just wondered how much to ask for it to sell on here?

Anyone got any serious suggestions?

njee20
    Free Member

Not a lot. There’s not really much call for soft tails these days, the SID shocks weren’t up to all that much either, although they’re not really doing much!

They cost £1300 new for a frame, but they’ve not sold them for about 7 years now. If it’s in excellent condition I’d reckon £300-£400 would be a good price. It’ll be a 19.5″, sounds better than 20″, more likely to sell it 😉

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s seven years old, I’d be surprised if you got £300-400 for it since:

– it’s an old model and as above, soft tails are rather out of fashion (or did they never really get in fashion…)
    – It’s carbon and many people will avoid because it’s more than a week old and will therefore definitely break, fail and they’ll die…
    – It’s a big size limiting the market

I reckon £2-300 max though you never know – it’s always worth a go…

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks guys, £150 it is then 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Good luck selling it, 20in means big riders, big riders mean broken bikes 😆

njee20
    Free Member

That’s why I said it’s not 20″, it’s actually 19.5″ (Trek didn’t do 20″), and a 19.5″ bike sounds a lot smaller! Over 5’11” I’d say.

clubber
    Free Member

From your ad, I’d suggest something like this in 15″ size would be much better than a 17″ frame for an 11 year old
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35238

and even then I suspect that it might be too big unless she’s tall…

pimpmyride
    Free Member

njee20 yep your right mate 🙂 measured it again more acurately and its 19.5″

Thanks again clubber your being very helpful buddy 🙂

pag
    Free Member

The sizing is odd for these frames. Both the medium and the large have a 19.5″ seat tube but the medium has a dropped top tube.
    I sold one recently on ebay only got about 150 for it. Less than I expected but it was rather tatty.

clubber
    Free Member

How long’s the top tube out of interest and are you after any bits for the girl’s bike build?

cynic-al
    Free Member

pag – prob cheaper to make fewer sizes of rear triangle

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Clubber, don’t know mate its not my frame, can measure it tomorrow as its at the school where I work, the guy selling it is a P.E teacher and I built him up a lovely Klein Attitude V, its killing him to sell it as he bought it from new around 8-9 years ago from Freewheel in Nottingham and he has loved every minute of riding it but when the Klein frame came up on ebay he couldn’t resist, he has only just converted to disc brakes a year ago!! the frame is way too big for his daughter hence the reluctant sale as he would have loved to build it up and give it to her 🙁

Why are you interested in the frame?

clubber
    Free Member

Well I suppose I’m very vaguely interested but don’t really have much in the way of spare cash or even really need it, hence why I was wondering if a swap might be an option but I also suspect that if it’s a 19.5 then it’s too short.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much is my Carbon frame worth?’ is closed to new replies.