• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pb2.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How much is an old Turner 5 Spot worth these days?
  • Stablebarns
    Free Member

2005/6 Horst Link, just before the first DW Links took over.

Ridden about 2 – 8 times a year from 2006 until 2015.

Cosmetics are ok, one small ding on top tube, but otherwise it was taped in the right places.

I think it’s an amazing bike, but my riding style changed when I finally started riding regularly. I much prefer aggressive(ish) hardtails now.

Basically I want it to go to a good home rather than concerned about eeking out an extra few quid. But I know you need a start price to put things on the classifieds.

Can someone give me a guide for a good value friendly price?

I think they were around £1500 new.But that was 12 years ago.

£100?

granny_ring

With a shock? If so more than that I’d have thought.

nickjb
    Free Member

Assuming it’s old standards like 26″, qr axle, straight steerer then there will be a pretty limited market. £100 is probably about right to sell I easily, might get a few more quid on ebay, in fact I might be interested for the wife at that price if the bearings and shock are ok.

chilled76
    Free Member

With a shock up to £250 for the frame with headset included prob.

EBay completed listings are your friend here

kormoran
    Free Member

I have a similar age 5 spot and am wondering the same. I saw a 2011 5 frame go for about 300 IIRC, I was almost tempted to upgrade! 🙄

Prepare to be disappointed is my advice.

granny_ring

Keep it.
    You’ll regret selling it for that little money.
    My 5spot frame is hanging up and will get rebuilt one day……
    Funny how the guy that wants to buy it says it’s the right price though. 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Similar boat…I have a 6-pack of a similar vintage. It’s just not worth selling for the sort of money it would make.

Junkyard
    Free Member

£100- £150

Problem is getting of forks and you can get a better obsolete bike for not much more

the-muffin-man

OP – what size frame and what shock is on it?

superstu
    Free Member

Those saying you’ll regret it…really? OP has said it doesn’t get ridden, so why not create the space and some (admittedly modest) amount of cash? I know it’s not worth much but it isn’t going to appreciate in value sat unused.

Other opinions are available but I’d just clear it out. Different if you were very attached or had an emotional tie to it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Similar boat…I have a 6-pack of a similar vintage. It’s just not worth selling for the sort of money it would make.

This logic is broken minded IMO. It’s just dead money in your shed if it’s not in use.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Got a 2009 Turner Flux hanging on my wall, thought about selling it but for amount of money I’ve thrown at it it wouldn’t be worth it. Ride it now and again and still like it.

chestrockwell

Agree with those saying why keep it if you are not going to ride it? £100-200 will get you some nice bits for another bike, carbon bars, posh stem, nice saddle etc.

If it has sentimental value then maybe so but I’ve had loads of bikes and regret selling only two really.

nickjb
    Free Member

This logic is broken minded IMO.

It’s understandable if you are trying to sell for what it’s worth, especially on ebay. You can end up actually losing money if goes wrong. Hence looking to sell things a bit cheaper for an easy sale. Trouble is on old frames that can be a tiny amount

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine is still built up as a bike and the wife used it earlier this year when between bikes. It doesn’t get used regularly, but it worked as a spare.

Couldn’t have hired a nice bike for what it would fetch second hand.

Stablebarns
    Free Member

Thanks, all valid points and useful.

That Turner changed my biking life, but I am not attached to it anymore. 2.5 years ago I was cured of all my hording tendencies by the arrival of identical twin girls.

I’ve just been down the LBS with a massive donation of rims, wheels, bars, V brakes, saddles frames etc etc. Getting ready to do the same with my old Steel Kilauea, with it’s amazing Columbus tubing…. that is really usefully leaving a “Kona Angel” imprint in the Loft Insulation????
    LBS will either recycle it all on repairs etc and then they take all surplus goes to bike charities. Teaching refugees how to become mechanics etc.

I managed to get my 2001 Kula transformed into the beast that hauls my kids around (Thule trailer buggy thing). I love seeing my Mrs out shopping with the kids, on this weird yellow bit of MTB history and remembering what that bike has done and what it was to me 😉

Finding 9 speed is still OK, 26″ wheels are easy, BB, bars, Headset, all easy… It’s only really forks, where the actual availability lets down the possibility of running old frames without compromise.

So I will put 5 Spot up on the Classifieds shortly for £120 ono. I think I have some 26″ Pikes that would suit it, that can be serviced pretty easily. I’d love it to be out there being used.

NB: I see so many people on £3k + “Enduro” rigs, basically riding XC, but feeling like Arnie/Steve Peat in their head. I think bikes like the 5 spot were a sweet spot (pun noted) in bike evolution. A lot of the progress since, really requires rider improvement for it to be appreciated. I had to really experiment and practice before I found the limit of certain geometry issues and all the axle and stanchion dimension increases. One of the best threads I ever saw on here was that poll on the most important mtb tech developmements of the last few years.
    ie of all the new standards, what could could you now not live without?
    I think it was something like:

1) Wider Bars

2) Dropper Post

3) I can’t remember 3rd place…. maybe slack geo or tubeless tyres?

But the first two say it all.

for those that haven’t seen this 😉

catfood
    Free Member

So my 2005 well worn Prophet isn’t still worth the couple of grand it cost me to build then?

doggycam
    Free Member

I just bought one off ebay for £200, swapped all the bits off my Inbred and can’t wait to get out on it.I’ve lusted after a Turner for a long time.

I lived in Innerleithen 12 years ago, rode almost every day and all my gear was cutting edge.

Moved due family commitments and basically stopped riding.

Started riding again recently and now find all of my bikes are out of date !
    Nicolai Helius CC, Van Nicolas Zion Ti single speed, 853 Inbred, Voodoo Wanga.

The Turner will be my winter bike and the Nicolai for fair weather.

Is riding these bikes any less fun than it was 10 years ago ? No.
    Do they all need replacing because they are out of date ? No
    Have I turned into a miserable auld git who won’t replace something till its worn out ? Probably

Ps I imported a dropper post from the States over 10 years ago, that improved my riding more than anything else.

backinireland
    Free Member

If that’s the Cameron I remember did you not have a Turner?

pitduck
    Free Member

i love my 2005 5 spot 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I just sold a 2012 Blur LTc with Shock & hope headset for about 200 quid
    The 2012 Nomad with CK Headset shock and Hope BB went for something similar

It’s not just the out of standards problem there with yours, it’s 11 year old metal, fairly out of date geometry and a heap of nice new well priced bikes available.

Stick it up for sale for a couple of hundred and don’t be offended by the offers 😉

Is riding these bikes any less fun than it was 10 years ago ? No.

Certainly true, but I don’t ride the same way I did 10 years ago, I certainly ride different stuff and moving to some more progressive geo has changed a lot for me. So it might be as good as it was then but now is a lot better – and if I was looking at a 2nd hand frame then I’d be looking a lot newer than that.

doggycam
    Free Member

Hi Graeme, Hows it going ? I assume by your name you’re back in NIrn.
    Still pulling teeth? Obviously youre back riding too, but you still offroading? Think I had a Flux at some point, had so many different bikes I’ve forgotten !

@Mikewsmith
    Old bits only fit old bikes, plus bike geometry may have changed,but the trails have not, didn’t need downhill geometry then, and dont need it now 😉

pb2

I loved my Flux, twas the first in the UK, I bought one of the demo bikes direct from Dave following the Inter Bike show in Vegas. It was it was too quick and nimble for my clumsy “skills” There was some thing right about Turners (there still could be but I’m out of the loop). Back then the 5 Spot was the best all round bike, I moved on from Turners to Intense, one of the worst decisions in all my years of biking. As you can see I’m nostalgic about old Turners.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Mrs Wachowchow loves her 2006 5 Spot and will not hear of riding anything else.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got a 2009 Turner Flux hanging on my wall, thought about selling it but for amount of money I’ve thrown at it it wouldn’t be worth it.

yep, I have a medium 2009 dw-link Flux thats also been sitting around as I replaced it with a large for better sizing. Now swapped to a 650b Flux but thinking of building the large 26 up again as it is more fun for places like Swinley.

Now have a girlfriend who needs a bike and the medium Flux would just fit, but I’ve got rid of the forks on a bike I built for my nephew !

Was thinking of getting her something else but its dw-link suspension was so much better than anything else I tried as the time that maybe I will just look for some new straight steerer forks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Put it on ebay, it’ll probably get the best price and someone who’s really enthusiastic about it as a Turner rather than someone just looking for a cheapo bike.

dustytrails

Another thing with Turner is that you can still (afaik) get replacement parts (bushings etc)

jamesoz

Yep and they’re interchangeable. I currently have a non Horst (Faux bar?) 5 spot front end with the Horst back end of my snapped Mk1 RFX.

Rides great and I briefly held a KOM at BPW when it had the RFX front, which was shorter, steeper and from the last millennium.

organic355
    Free Member

Any pics of these bikes and Specs/sizes as I may be interested for the wife.??

I have a 2009 flux and still love it!

pb2

Great photo, classic lines to the Flux & 5 Spot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How much is an old Turner 5 Spot worth these days?’ is closed to new replies.