Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • How much is a second hand Orange 5 worth…
  • jockthestore
    Free Member

Trying to sell one but it won’t shift… Grrr!! Any Ideas? It’s a 2009 frame and the bits are immaculate.

rmacattack
    Free Member

like all bikes and parts it will only shift if you take bad money or its a good deal. for a 2009 id say £1000

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon67
    Free Member

Give it a really good clean. It looks grubby and unloved in your pics

Will make a big difference to anyone looking.

Good luck

Wookster

Can’t see you getting 1150 mate, 900-1k and reckon you’ve done quite well.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

A good rule of thumb is 50% of new price, minus 10% for each year and depending on condition minus another 10%. So if it cost 2500 new, and is two years old with a ding in the downtube, then 1250, -250 for age, – 100 for condition, so 900 pounds seems a fair price for seller and buyer. Just a rough rule of thumb though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£900 seems ok I guess. Apart from the frame, the rest of the parts are just bog standard run of the mill stuff. Infact, its probably under specced considering the quality of the frame if you know what I mean?

I.e. people who want an Orange 5 dont want shite wheels and deore components.

grum
    Free Member

Give it a really good clean. It looks grubby and unloved in your pics

Really? Christ, you should see my bike. 😳

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

as above, its “under specced” IMO. i think £850-900 is the right sort of money for it.

if you want more, try splitting it?

cb

Just a personal point of view but as soon as I see NO OFFERS (as is quite common on here) I move on. If you want a minimum figure then at least be polite about it.

You could have been offered 1050 by someone but you put them off with your advert…maybe…

honourablegeorge

cb – Member

Just a personal point of view but as soon as I see NO OFFERS (as is quite common on here) I move on.

+1

You don’t want me to make you an offer? Fair enough, I won’t.

jockthestore
    Free Member

Fair play. Now asking 1050…

cookeaa

Don’t think you’ll top £1k for a 3year old five. at least not via forum classifieds. If you can time an ebay listings finish to coincide with paydays and end at a sensible time you might get a couple of people into a last minute bidding war….

good luck.

loum
    Free Member

Trying to sell one

As above, some may question how much you are trying by totally refusing all negotiation.
    Put yourself in the buyers position and ask yourself what’s appealing about replying to your ad.

bruneep

Is that the final final price drop? 😉

As said below £850 is a more realistic price tag.

oneoneoneone – Member
    as above, its “under specced” IMO. i think £850-900 is the right sort of money for it.

Otherwise eBay it near end of the month or split.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Phhhhhhh…..

Lest be sensible here

It’s got very cheap wheels, basic Fox Floats, mostly Deore drivetrain and basic generic contact points (Not even got micro adjust seat post). It looks well used but in OK nick. (Scratches on bars, worn grips, worn rings etc)

OK, it’s a nice frame, but I’d reckon £700 as a full bike

My Pitch is a similar age, waaaaaaay higher spec than that (Magura brakes, Hope wheels, Lyriks, Cane Creek 110 headset) and has had £150+ of shock servicing and new drivetrain in the last 150 miles, and I’d be looking for £600 used.

I don’t think you’d get £1000 splitting it down, TBH

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Other thing you have to remember is that 2009 is still 27.2 seatpost and std 1&1/8″ steerer which limits in terms of newer forks and dropper posts, which would put quite a lot of people off.

At the end of the day though, if something won’t sell then the only reason is because the price is too high. Reduce it to £500 and see if it sells… 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Frame £450
    Wheels £50
    Brakes £75
    Forks £150
    Saddle, bars, stem, post, grips etc £30
    Tyres £20
    Chainset £25
    Mechs £30
    Shifters £15
    Cass/chain £10

I’m struggling to get £850 as a split here, and you’ll always get more money that way

alibongo001

HI All,

Cheeku high jack, but I am interested in getting a 5 sometime over the next year.

Idiotdogbrain and others seem to be good on the details of the Fice history, so can you answer this Q?

I am looking to buy a second hand 5, what year would you start looking at? Would a 2010 frame’s enhancements be the best yeat to go for and what are the other thresholds in the design of the frame?

(I thought they had changed very little over the years!)

Also what is the difference between a 5 and a sub 5?

Cheers
    Al.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They have only ever tweaked them a little year in year
    Slight change to gusset, slight change of head angle, Bolt through rear , tapered head tube, 31.9 seat post etc.

It has not changed in a revolutionary way since first inception IMHO.

z1ppy

The value of the frame is far too low in PP estimation, so £1000 as a split should be easily obtainable.
    I know it’s a month back but a similar question was ask here

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The value of the frame is far too low in PP estimation

No its not. Maybe a bit, but not much. There’s one on eBay for £600 right now, but
    A) its not selling for £600 or it wouldn’t be there.
    B) if it does sell you’ve got some hefty fees to pay at that price.
    C) it’s in better nick
    D) it’s got a Hope headset with it.
    E) eBay prices are always top end, every time

Take the headset and the fees off and you’re at about £520

So yeah, you might get £500 for it, maybe I was a bit out. But not much. 🙂

What was that bike new anyway?
    At a year it’s worth 50-55% of its new value then take off another 10% per year. So you’re looking at about 1/3 of its orgional purchase price, maybe a bit more.

It depends, see? Do you want to actually SELL IT or just advertise it? It’s not selling as it is, is it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sub 5 became 5 about ooh.. 10 years ago?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t find the price for the 2009 5S, only the 5Pro, which was £2495. So that’s what, £2000 new?

If so, my valuation is pretty close for an idle guess. 🙂

steel4real
    Free Member

Agree with PP,furthermore it looks more like a 2008 frame unless ’09 changed during production as I had a 2009 and there was a ‘gusset’ at headtube & downtube interface.
    With that dent 450 – 500 tops for the frame. Mine sold for 525 off here 5 months ago and only had a very small dent at bottom of downtube.

Expecting £900 for the whole lot ptobably isn’t out of the question. Get some close ups of the new stuff to show how good it is ?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

some clues here?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-5-700

older but similar spec, helps set some boundaries.

jockthestore
    Free Member

Ok, so this should be in the for sale section, but I will be happy to take 1000 pounds for it

jockthestore
    Free Member

This…

some clues here?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-5-700

older but similar spec, helps set some boundaries.

…is from a 2006 bike. The one I’m flogging is an 09 with 2010 bits which are in very good condition, so I’m surprised it’s not shifted yet…

steel4real
    Free Member

Have you had any others ?

I had several for my frame but you get a lot of time wasters offering low amounts. Best to be patient and a lot of people this time of year are more interested in holidays etc. Ebay wil reach a wider audience.

Perhaps a photo of the receipt etc to prove the age and provenance ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ok, so this should be in the for sale section, but I will be happy to take 1000 pounds for it

Have you actually read any of the posts above? It’s simply not worth that much. If you want top dollar for it your best hope is eBay but I really don’t think it’ll go over £850, maybe £900 tops even there

molgrips
    Free Member

You won’t sell a bike for £1000 a thread full of people telling you it’s worth £850!

simondbarnes

I’ll give you £400 for it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had several for my frame but you get a lot of time wasters offering low amounts

Right. But your frame (assuming you mean the Soul) was more realistically priced. That was about £420 new and at 3 years old you wanted £175 including a good Hope headset and seat QR. That’s about right according to the 50%/10% rule of thumb. You were right to hold out for the right price and you sold it in 3 adverts as far as I can see, yes? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, found a price at last

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/archive/2009/five_s/

£1900

Year 1 55% = £1045
    Year 2 10% = £940
    Year 3 10% = £846

You’ve upgraded the brakes so add a bit for that
    And the forks, (although some people would prefer the OE Recons to the Floats) so add a bit for that

I’ll say £900 absolute top whack, for a VERY clean looked after bike, but if it needs a new headset, chain, or similar, we start coming down, if the shock or forks have never been serviced, or need one now, we lop a big chunk off that. Are those Deore hubs as smooth as I know they can be at that age? (You’ll have had to strip them once a year or they’ll be rough) Do the wheels need truing? Is the headset smooth? Does it need new cables? Say yes to any of that and the price falls.

If I was turning up at your house now to buy that bike, I’d be starting at £900, and expecting to pay £800, maybe £850 if it was REALLY clean and needed nothing doing to it straight away. If you wanted £1000, £950, I’d simply walk away.
    You also say frame and the bits are immaculate. but they aren’t. I can see scratches on it in the pics! That’s to be expected though, there’s no problem with that, but you’re making it out to be better than it is, see? Looking at your pics I’d describe it as “good used condition, no dents or cracks”

There’s NO WAY it’s worth £1000. If you can get that, well done, honestly! But it’s not worth that much. Simples

You asked why it’s not selling. You have your answer. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I agree with PP. Its not worth what you want for it.

float
    Free Member

oh lol…

(sorry for the rubbish page king)

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘How much is a second hand Orange 5 worth…’ is closed to new replies.