Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How much is a new boiler fitted?
  • tinsy
    Free Member

I have already pressed the button on British Gas fitting me a new boiler, but I didnt look around, I expect I have paid a bit over the odds.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but I didnt look around

😯

Why ever not?

Bear
    Free Member

Don’t ask now as you will be disappointed you didn’t look around.

And without knowing a hell of a lot more nobody can give you an accurate price so pointless asking. ~plenty will try to give you an idea but each installation is different.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

You really don’t want to know.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You’ll not have paid much more than a like for like installation, and could possibly be getting fantastic service from someone like me in nine years time should something have gone wrong.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

last year we had a new combi fitted all in £1,750

alexpalacefan

Take comfort in the fact that if your old boiler was more than just a few years old, a new one is the best energy efficiency improvement you can make.

The pay back period shouldn’t be more than a few years.

APF

jambalaya
    Free Member

Certainly less than you are paying, British Gas are about the most expensive.

As @alexpalacefan says the new ones are much more efficient, they do have to be setup correctly so they are not “overstressed”, if they are run too hard their efficieny drops off remarkably.

It’s entirely up to you but a new boiler will not need a service plan. I personally would not sign up to one. We have a boiler which has run trouble free for 10 years and has been serviced once. The truth is they are best “left alone”, the more you mess with them the more likely you are to have problems.

Taff
    Free Member

Jambalaya speaks the truth. Over a period of 5 years the previous occupants hadn’t serviced our boiler and I hadn’t for 3 years. Then got it down and now annually something ‘happens’.

tinsy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I know its stupid to ask after I pushed the button, but I have had absolutley fantastic service from British Gas with a homecare plan I took out, it seems most of the system had just about had it, and everything has been replaced without grumble, with fitters that all know there stuff, polite and turn up when they are supposed to, so it just made sense for me to stick with them.

In the last year I have had 2 new fans for the boiler, a new hot water tank, a new imersion heater and a 2 way valve (the motorised thingy)

On paper I should save about 16% but I suspect that I might just save a bit more as my bills had been out of control & think the old boiler may be an under acheiver.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

It’s entirely up to you but a new boiler will not need a service plan. I personally would not sign up to one. We have a boiler which has run trouble free for 10 years and has been serviced once. The truth is they are best “left alone”, the more you mess with them the more likely you are to have problems.

They really aren’t best left alone. For the safety aspect alone.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m in two minds about changing mine, it’s around 20 years old now and only been serviced once since I moved in (12 years ago). Last time it was looked at (5 years ago) I heard the boiler guy shout “jesus f’ing christ” so went to have a look, apparently it had a naked flame coming out the back once he’d opened the cover (I called him as could hear a strange wind-rush type noise coming from it). He bodged a repair though and it’s been fine since…
    Would I really save a lot of money on bills replacing it (I’m only in a 4-room flat, although the insulation is a bit pants to so heating on for 3 seasons most years)?

FuzzyWuzzy

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Depending on ‘how’ you have pushed the button, you may still be able to cancel the agreement. I reckon you could save up to 50% on their charge.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I reckon you could save up to 50% on their charge.

Not like for like you wouldn’t, and with what guarantee? I’m dealing with a job where we’d have changed the boiler by now if the customer had had that much bother from one of our installations. The manufacturer and installer have just fobbed the guy off.

I did change a boiler just last week that was out of manufacturrers warranty, but we’d fitted it six years ago. The boiler chassis failed and rather than turn a blind eye, or ignore a potential unsafe situation. We changed the thing.

But then, that’s both the right thing to do, and a good news story. We don’t do those on here. Do we.

ransos
    Free Member

I have had absolutley fantastic service from British Gas with a homecare plan I took out

We had them out to deal with an intermittent hot water problem. By the time they’d finished we had no hot water, no heating and a gas leak. In December.

Never again.

sc-xc

I have been looking at new boilers – ours is a 25+ year old glowworm that is becoming obsolete. I asked about it a few months ago here.

I asked BG to come round, and I had steeled myself for a price of around £3k, but he reckoned pushing £4k for a combi boiler (3 bed detached – 7 rads). When I asked him about he options – he couldn’t articulate the pros and cons of each system. I mentioned this to the lad at the BG call centre who didn’t seem particularly bothered. BG appealed to me because of the payment plan.

I got a couple of local firms round, both quoted around the £1800 mark for what appears to a non-expert like me to be a similar installation. Finances are still tough at the moment, so I’m looking into options (including Johnny Ball’s mob!)

The one constant that they all said, was that boilers aren’t built to last like they used to be – even the names like Worcester and Baxi.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

We had a Worcester Junior combi fitted for 3k by a local firm.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our WB combi cost £1800 fitted (inc remote digital thermometer) from the most expensive (but they have a long history of providing great service) local firm.

jambalaya
    Free Member

paulosoxo – Member
    They really aren’t best left alone. For the safety aspect alone.

This is my logic, if they were unsafe without being serviced it would be compulsory to have an annual safety check, like a car MOT.

On pricing we got access to some trade prices for boilers and as you’d expect they were about 50%-65% of quoted prices.

nealglover
    Free Member

Asking “how much is a boiler fitted” is a bit like asking “how much will a house cost me”

chunkypaul
    Free Member

How much is a new boiler fitted?

About £900 less than you paid….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

This is my logic, if they were unsafe without being serviced it would be compulsory to have an annual safety check, like a car MOT.
    On pricing we got access to some trade prices for boilers and as you’d expect they were about 50%-65% of quoted prices.

You are confusing a service and a qualified, experienced person checking your appliances. I’m pretty sure every gas man on here has ended off capping an appliance that they didn’t attend site to even look at.

How many tradesmen come through your door are there that MUST, be deemed competent by the relevant government body and have to demonstrate this competency on a regular basis?

Whether servicing is compulsory or not, we cap or turn appliances off quite regularly for safety reasons. I attended a double fatality two or three years ago which eventually turned out not to be a CO incident, however it very easily could have been due to the condition of the gas fire in the lounge.

Mikey65
    Free Member

We used to have an old combi on the British Gas service plan and over the 12 years we paid about £2000 in costs as it was about £15 a month then…we used toget a sercvice oncea year, about 30 mins and 2 thermocouple replaced..Value ???? anyway the last service was performed and two weeks later, th eboiler failed with thermocouple fault…the service engineer came and placed a default notice on it and capped it off as it was deemed unsafe……Two weeks earlier it had a service from them and was deemed safe……Odd but true..British Gas were not interested in my concerns regarding this……..Result I will NEVER trust British Gas again As “In my Opinon” they are a bunch of Shiesters……I am an engineer and have worked on British Steel Furnaces and Industrial ovens etc, so know little bit about Gas safety etc. before the Gas monkeys get all worked up………Get a combi and a local Gas Registered installer to fit it and service it and don’t bother with service contracts and it will pay for itself in a few years…..Don’t forget to spend the money you save on nice shiny bikes

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How much is a new boiler fitted?’ is closed to new replies.