Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How much would you give as a wedding present?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

50 quid is about all I spend on the kids for xmas and birthdays not on wedding presents .

Rscott
    Free Member

I bought my sister and her husband a shark diving tirp for there honey moon £125, i tried to do the lad afavour so he cant say i never did anything for him.

for non family around £50 to £75. depends on your means not theres, one of my friend refused to take anything as he new i couldn’t affored it, he also said i do enouth for him in help with repairs to his bikes kayaks and help round his house.

Real friends will just be happy you could join there day

footflaps

Unless you have the smallest possible wedding, there will be some people there you don’t much like.

Really? More fool you.

As we were paying we only invited people we wanted to be there bar one couple to keep the Wife’s parents happy. Not that we didn’t want them there, we just didn’t really know them. Guest list was 60-70 IIRC.

crankboy
    Free Member

Different people get married for different reasons and have different weddings if it is a big cultural wedding with a mass of people the plan is probably to get as many people as possible to enhance family pride and raise starter cash for the couple so give at least the cost of the meal and venue or if you don’t like the idea don’t go.

If it is a small personal celebration then you have been invited because they personally know and like you and want you there so give whatever you want to or know they would like (if it is a gift of condoms for a 3rd world village make sure you hand the card over before the groom is too pissed to understand the point.)

We asked people who wanted to give something but did not know what to get to buy B and Q vouchers as we were doing up our house people spent between £20 and £50 on them for which we were truly grateful , when we were sober we also were also impressed by the condom aid donation.

DrJ

Three things that are very outmoded in a modern wedding imo:-

1. Someone else other than the bride and groom paying for it.
    2. Guests who are there because you feel you have to invite them.
    3. Gifts in general and requests for money in particular.
    4. Hanging out the sheet from a window to prove that the bride was a virgin.

Cougar

I’d say that the content of the gift is more important than the raw cost, and the next biggest deciding factor should be what you can afford.

I got married earlier this year. We decided first and foremost that we weren’t going to expect gifts. People were spending money, in some cases a fair wedge, on travel and accommodation just to be there. That, we figured, was gift enough.

However, we reasoned that some people might want to give a gift anyway and it should be their call rather than ours. I suggested asking for donations towards the honeymoon; money was tight (cos, y’know, we were paying for a bloody wedding) and there was nothing we really needed. My OH reckoned that was rude, and that a gift list would be expected. And indeed, quite a few guests did ask for a list.

So, we put together two lists; a John Lewis one with the traditional gubbins, crockery and soft furnishings and the like, and an Amazon list with more esoteric items like Blu-ray box sets and board games. Our invite then said something like, “we really don’t want you to buy us anything as your present to us is the fact that you’re coming to share our day, however if you really want to then here’s the list.”

In the end, I was quite blown away by people’s generosity. We had a fairly emotional day going through everything. Some people hadn’t spent very much at all, some had spent hundreds. And you know, that’s absolutely fine. We have friends who are on benefits, and friends who are on a six-figure salary. And it doesn’t matter; every single thing we opened from the £200 piece of art to the hand-made card all made us think of the persons donating and how sweet they were to have thought of us.

Our wedding was the culmination of a lot of work, it was a wonderful day full of love and warmth spent surrounded by people close to us, and whether someone had spent a fortune on us or nothing at all is really, really low on the list of what was important.

hels
    Free Member

Was there a bucket on your wedding list Cougar ? Cos I want to throw up now…..

natrix
    Free Member

a shark diving trip for their honeymoon

Is that a euphemism?? 😯 😯

AdamW
    Free Member

My wedding had me, MrAdamW and 13 close friends.

We had a fantastic day. We told everyone not to buy us presents but to give to charity instead. We’d been together 11 years so had everything we needed.

Then we all had a nice dinner and people turned up at my house to play on the console before everyone went home.

mos

Enough to buy a Liberator cushion. That way they can always think of you when they use it.

singletrackgrace
    Free Member

I was advised to just ask for cash/vouchers because many people would prefer giving money rather than having to go shopping for us. Therefore, we did. We didn’t have enough room in our flat for anything we didn’t already have, (but plenty of room in the bank, to save up for a house deposit). Most of our friends are young/still living with parents, but we received £20-£100. A few older family members dug deeper. £20 is not an insult, as it all adds up, we were grateful for every penny. The idea of expecting guests to cover the cost of the wedding is ridiculous.

Rscott
    Free Member

no euphemism natrix they spent there honey moon in south africa deep sea fishing and wildlife safariing, and moved on to madagascar,the only thing they hadnt book that they wanted was that but they had kind of spent up by then they ear enough to have a lavish wedding and honey moon something i will never be able to say. Plus when we were younger we all went to mexico they fell ill and couldn’t come on the diving trip to which i rubbed it in there faces for quite some time.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How much would you give as a wedding present?’ is closed to new replies.