Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • How much have bikes moved on in the last 5/6 years? Should I upgrade?
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you show me one quote where someone has actually expressed that opinion?

It seems implicit in the 650b is rubbish comments 😉 the next person that tries to generalise by wheel size needs slapped with a wet fish.

@Northwind
    – we seemed to miss that insightful crap here in Oz where they are really popular for being a bit different 🙂 Lots of range used here and no great grumpyness

Really? I’ve broken one set of forks in 25 years. To be fair, I’m only quite wee but in true STW style, I’d recommend a skillz course.

S-works Enduro – rear stays went after 6 years
    Heckler – chewed itself to bits with cable rubs and other problems, stripped BB threads skipped at about 6 years old
    2nd Heckler snapped at 5-6 years old
    Mate just snapped his Rocky Mts Slayer at 4 years
    Another has gone though Morewoods, Kona’s etc.
    Seen plenty of others Alu fatigues, over time it’s not as strong if you use it hard it will fail at some point.Weakensses in the frames will become apparent etc.

RustySpanner

It seems implicit in the 650b is rubbish comments

Mike, no one has ever said that.
    Pretty much the opposite in fact.
    The main argument is and always has been lack of difference from 26.

As you well know, as we’ve both contributed to similar threads over time.

So I assume you’re just trolling?
    Fine, I’ll join in;
    650b is pointless toss sold to idiots by shysters.
    Three generalisations there, but nothing a ‘mostly’ wouldn’t solve.
    🙂

Northwind – Member
    The whole 650b fiasco’s slowed things down a bit, as suddenly all the effort of the bike industry had to be redirected into reinventing things they already made

Absolutely spot on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So I assume you’re just trolling?
    Fine, I’ll join in;

Well just maybe it’s time some people got over the 650b thing, you can still buy just about everything bar straight steerer forks so time to let it go and move along now. I don’t think I’d want to sink much cash into 26 at the moment. Anyway stuff has moved on way further than wheels and having ridden bikes of many flavours a lot has changed and evolved for the better in the last 5 years.

kerley
    Free Member

I agree you need to take wheel size out of it (or at least out 26 and 27 together and compare to 29 as that is where the difference is.

The changes in geometry clearly could have been made around 26″ wheels but as there are pretty much n new 26″ wheeled bikes then we just use 27″.

The question is whether the changes in geometry are good or bad for your riding. I ride XC with a bit of fire road/tarmac road between the XC bits with a preference for going uphill so for me the geometry from 2006 is still perfect. So while I like to keep up with improved components, tubeless tyres etc,. geometry has generally gone the wrong way for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Have noticed an interest in 29 recently from those who’d have previously written it off as too xc and steep geometry. Probably because of the likes of the Hightower. 29 or plus in a long slack bike and not too short travel. I’d have thought most are interested in the plus on it but seen many with the 29 set up.

RustySpanner

Well just maybe it’s time some people got over the 650b thing

Shan’t.
    🙂

medoramas
    Free Member

I think you must upgrade. Otherwise you’ll be riding dead trails.

Only the new bikes bring the trails alive.

kayla1
    Free Member

I have a 2010 Orange Five SE, its old now, but works and I like it.

There’s your answer right there, chief. My (steel 26″ hardtail) frame’s coming up to 6 years old but it works, I like it and there’s nothing really (other than an XS BFe) I’d change it for. It has had new bits chucked at it though.

If you want a new bike just buy one 😀

Northwind

deadkenny – Member

Have noticed an interest in 29 recently from those who’d have previously written it off as too xc and steep geometry. Probably because of the likes of the Hightower

It must be weird, being Niner… And also Trek and Specialized. The Hightower, and the Yeti and YT, got so much attention, you’d think they were groundbreaking. Meanwhile Niner and Specialized: “We’ve been doing this for years!” and Trek “Oh, you’ve invented the 29er enduro bike? That’s nice, I remember when we did that, in 2014. You might have seen it, we won the EWS with it quite a lot? No?”

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If I had a 5/6 year old Orange Five and had £3k plus to spend on a new Orange Five, I’d be spending that money on a holiday to take me and my (old) Orange 5 on 🙂

I do like the Five but if it’s still putting a smile on your face and is mechanically sound, I do think there are better ways of spending several thousand pounds. If you really must have a new bike for whatever reason, do yourself a favour and see what else is on the market. There might be something better and more suited for you out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘How much have bikes moved on in the last 5/6 years? Should I upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.