• This topic has 43 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Wally.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How much!!! Front door content
  • woody71
    Free Member

Just had a quote for a new front door. Its hardwood (not oak though) standard 6 panel front door.

Cost for it fitted including new lock is £863 + VAT.
    If i want it painted it is another £220 + VAT.

Does this sound expensive? I had hoped for change out of a monkey!

matt_outandabout

A good new door is maybe £250-300, plus frame and hardware.
    Prehung and fitted out £500-600.

So £800 doesn’t seem silly…

Fit and paint yourself?

woody71
    Free Member

New frame is another £500+VAT

woody71
    Free Member

Looks like just shy of 2000 quid for a new door and frame when tax taken into account

Seems really steep although may be I have some distorted view of the world

deadkenny
    Free Member

Try one of the hard sell companies and they’ll start off with a quote more like £2k just for the door. You’re expected to haggle it down or they hope you’re clueless enough to not and rip you off.

igm

Wait until you buy a house with a non-standard size door.
    Bespoke oak with triple glazed panels in the top half door was eye watering.

woody71
    Free Member

Quote was from a local carpenter

I think I’m in the wrong game

Cougar

woody71 – Member
    Quote was from a local carpenter

I think I’m in the wrong game

Nominative determinism fail.

funkmasterp

Wait until you buy a house with a non-standard size door.

I know this pain. Our front door is designed for a fat hobbit. Cheapest quote I’ve had for composite door plus fitting is £1k. The back flag, which is standard size for door and window is £800.

parkesie
    Free Member

I did my own a couple of years ago hard wood door discontinued stock so 180 frame to match was 90 locks hinges frame screws and a letter box came to 150. Few hours work saved about 400.

project
    Free Member

make sure its a full hardwod door,mortice and tennon joints not one of those chipboard core efforts that the sheds and howdens are now selling.

Ps i fit doors for a job, and now refuse the chipboard veneered ones, they dont last outside more than a few years or a few months as one failed spectacularly .

nick1962
    Free Member

Got a 6 panel dowelled (I think)solid,hardwood door delivered for £130-from doorsworld I think
    Mortice lock,Yale type lock, separate handle,large decorative knocker, spyhole and letterbox ,3 stainless steel hinges,large door knob,security chain all chrome, hardwood weather board for bottom of door,draft proofing and door sill from e bay and online shops-all delivered for about than £125.
    Struggled to get a joiner and ending up paying one(off Facebook!) £150 for a full day as I needed it doing asap but it only took him half a day.
    Painted it myself-paint,undercoat and primer cost about £35
    Wife doesn’t like the shade of the colour now it’s done even though though she picked it 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When we moved into our current ex council house it had the origional old door with just a Yale lock. In the name f security I insisted on what I like to call our ‘drug dealer door’. It’s a high security composite door, the ones you see on Police Camera Action that the cops can’t batter down. It was just over a grand supplied and fitted by a local firm in our choice of colour and fittings.

ferrals
    Free Member

Our composite door was just shy of £900 fitted, it would have been a bit cheaper but my wife insisted on having a spy hole despite the fact it’s got two large windows in 🙄 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well if you’re looking through a large window you’re not really spying are you?

Btw a door veiwer takes about 90 seconds to install so I don’t how much it would have reduced your £900 bill by.

ahsat

When I looked at this, I was looking at £800-1000 for a standard composite door, with decent looks, fitted. Ended up buying a house with one’s fitted.

somouk
    Free Member

I paid £850 for a composite door ordered from Yale, fitted by Yale contractors and including all their top multipoint hardware. It’s been excellent.

Not sure on the price of wooden doors and how they compare but it doesn’t seem horrendous.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Out of interest, how much harder is it fit a new front door than an interior one? done loads of interior ones and fitted locks a few times, but I’d be more worried about tackling the front door.

Daffy

I was quoted £2800 for a composite door and 2 matching half side panels with stained glass….still saving up.

hatter

We just had a new one fitted, composite with multipoint lock, cost around £800 to have it done at the same time as we were getting some windows done.

Must say I was a bit taken back by how much they are now but now we’ve got it in I’m not so bothered. it is flippin’ solid, feels like it’d withstand anything short of a ram raid, the whole downstairs is also noticeably now warmer as it keeps the heat in.

andybrad

am currently half way through fitting a new front and rear solidoor at home. No change from 5k total!!!!

lastuphills
    Free Member

Out of curiosity those who have bought a composite door was it for security or longevity? Keep considering getting one but always come back to the same point why spend mucho pounds getting a door that would survive attack from the most determined door bashing, would they not just smash a window with a brick and climb through?

tjagain

Sounds outrageous price to me. A quick google gave me hardwood doors under £200. Of course if a carpenter is going to build you one from scratch it will be much more expensive

External door fitting is no harder than internal door fitting really IMO Maybe a third hinge, maybe two locks not one.

whitestone
    Free Member

Our front door (oak, semi-glazed) and frame cost around £600 to buy and fit. This was about five years ago.

@mahowlett – There’s no real difference in the actual fitting but you’ve also got weather strips and locks to deal with.

br
    Free Member

While renovating our place I made the openings as large as possible (old mill and not a lot of natural light).

Both doors were custom made locally all arranged by our joiner who then fitted them, plus the door jarms etc. Insulated and double glazed in Douglas Fir.

£2500 the pair. One of them is 2 metre by 1 metre

letmetalktomark

To replace a horrble looking UPVC door and frame with wood – partial glazed – we were quoted about £1200 and I don’t think that was with locks.

Then there was the planning cost and the nine week turnaround of application 👿

A job that still needs to be done!

vondally
    Free Member

£1300 quote for a composite door to replace a wooden oak one original, still pondering

andybrad

lastuphills – Member
    Out of curiosity those who have bought a composite door was it for security or longevity? Keep considering getting one but always come back to the same point why spend mucho pounds getting a door that would survive attack from the most determined door bashing, would they not just smash a window with a brick and climb through?

weve gone for it for a number of reasons.

firstly its not a lot of difference price wise compared to a standard wooden door.

Secondly our door and frame had seen better days and had been painted many times before,. Unfortunatley it had cracked at the joints and water had got in and it was starting to rot. We went with upvc and solidoor to try and reduce future maintenance. Although after catching my foot on it this morning and removing some of the foil before its even finished im not sure how long it will last.

footflaps

Ours was about £2k inc new frame and fitting. Was made bespoke. 60mm thick with two glass panels, leaded glass decorative and laminated / toughened double glazed unit behind.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dndT67]New Front Door (Paint)[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

chippyjim
    Free Member

To be honest I would charge around the same, Door between £200-£400 depending on style, Locks anything between £50-£300, Door furniture £50-£200 and labour would always be a full day.
    Anyone who believes that a front door with 2 locks, a pair and a half of hinges, a weather bar, letter plate, and getting it to close ‘like a golf’ can be done in the same time that an internal door can be fitted has clearlynever fitted one.

pictonroad

mahowlett – Member
    Out of interest, how much harder is it fit a new front door than an interior one? done loads of interior ones and fitted locks a few times, but I’d be more worried about tackling the front door.

Principle is the same, the weight however, can be quite exciting. As I found a week into ownership of my first house as I unscrewed the final hinge screw. Luckily, the house, being a bit pokey, the sofa was behind me as I fell clutching the door cartoon style.

br
    Free Member

FWIW at our old house it had a uPVC door, installed at build and no issue in the 12 years we lived there.

If you can put uPVC in, and want to, do it – no maintenance etc.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Just got a quote last week, local joiner, good indicator.
    Four panel door and frame with two glazed units above two raised and fielded panels
    Timber : Sapele Hardwood or Accoya
    Glazing:  4-16-4 Clear Low E Soft coat Argon filled with swiss spacer
    Handles : None
    Locks :   Sashlock and deadlock with Eurocylinders
    Additional Lock : Carlisle brass, CP or Brass, turn and release security door bolt
    Letterbox : None
    Hinges :Three  Nico 3D Adjustable 
    Pre-Hung in the frame
    Fully Finished with Teknos Microporous Paint in Stiftky Blue inside and out. 

Hardwood             Accoya
                                                                             £1365.0 + VAT        £1555.00 + VAT

Installation      250.00 + VAT     

tjagain

Chippyjim would appear to have the knowledge and he would know more than a diyer like me.

Stoner
    Free Member

had a quick look back through joinery quotes for when we built the barn in 2010.

FLB door & Frame in Oak = £1,188 (no hardware, not fitted)
    £725 in Idigbo.

hatter

Seems that we paid bang on market rate, nice to know.

Whilst I did consider DIY options to save money I’m glad we got a pro in, it took him a good 4 hours and he did a lovely job, really neat and the door does have the perfect ‘german car’ feel when you close it. A front door that sticks or where the locks don’t quite line up perfectly would have got pretty tedious pretty quickly.

There was also the niggling feeling in the back of my head that if we ever did get burgled I wouldn’t be hugely happy in telling my insurance company that our front door had been a DIY effort, so that’s one less thing they can use as an excuse.

somouk
    Free Member

Out of curiosity those who have bought a composite door was it for security or longevity?

We brought ours for the thermal properties compared to our older wooden door that was half glass and also the extra security of a multi point locking system with a split barrel lock. I work away a lot and the other half felt a lot better knowing that she could use the spyhole through the door and no one could see her coming due to the higher glass level.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Out of curiosity those who have bought a composite door was it for security or longevity?

Front composite door – draught proofing, low maintenance, total job (incl frame and fan light) cheaper than real wood, looked smart.
    Rear upvc door – security, draught proofing, smarten up (old door looked tatty), low cost.

sharkbait
    Free Member

£2k here for a custom made door and frame with sidelights, all hardwood, multipoint locking, blah, blah.

Matt24k
    Free Member

£2.2k for a custom made aluminium framed double glazed door with glazed units to one side and above plus a small window.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How much!!! Front door content’ is closed to new replies.