• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How much for house removals?
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

How much have you paid for a removal service? Roughly how far did you move?

Just trying to get an idea to see if hiring a van and doing it myself would be much cheaper.

Edric64
    Free Member

Lots of trips in a van if you have lots of stuff .You probably want a luton box van at least

steveno

We have just paid £600 , thats with us packing all our stuff in boxes they supplied and them coming round the day before we move and packing tvs, pictures etc and them dismantling and reassembling any furniture.

samuri
    Free Member

We’ve just moved house.
    The removal company quoted me a grand for about 3 miles.

So I hired a normal sized van over three days and did it myself. Cost about £140. It was back breaking work and while I didn’t think we had a lot to move, wait till you pick up every single item you own twice to review your opinion.

I’d say we made about ten trips.

Lessons I’ve learned.

Hardwood sideboards, while looking very nice, are the hardest item you’ll ever have to move.
    Washing machines are also difficult.
    When people say ‘Oh yes, I’ll help you’, they actually mean they’ll turn up and watch you sweating blood, drink some cups of tea and then bugger off.
    Girls like men in white vans
    The working capacity of an eighteen year old male reduces dramatically over a three day period of hard graft. They think they’re dead butch and tough on day one, on day three they make a recalculation and realise that their old dad is actually a lot tougher and stronger than they thought.
    You own way, way more stuff than you thought you did.

Edit:

And get a trolley.

Duffer
    Free Member

We paid £800 a few years ago to move 200 miles, which i thought was too much. However, if i’d have done it myself i’d have probably paid about the same in fuel costs.

If you’re moving locally, then i’d rent a box van.

gusamc
    Free Member

gf was 500, (we boxed) – 2 biggest white vans (very full!! to extent of deforming floor/door relationship), 4 people pretty much all day – about 12 miles between houses
    me 250 (we boxed) – 1 big van, 1 bloke, all day, 35 miles
    (can recommend if you’re near Wantage, they didn’t sit around much)

if you hire a van – hint – taillift, hint – taillift, hint – taillift (and no that isn’t a typo) big and regular shapes in first(*using std box sizes helps), have sheets/padding and ropes/straps available – it’ll take longer than you think and be harder than you think, also imho ‘good’ packing is a skill that only some people have.

**EDIT – having see above edit – get a decent trolley

5thElefant
    Free Member

Two years ago £3500 I think (may have been less).

130 miles. Large 4 bed house. Biggest non-artic lorry I have ever seen and a big transit (both completely filled).

Big lorry parked 2 miles from new house (closest it could get) and stuff ferries up in the transit.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Just been quoted £55 an hour for a truck and two men, the move is 25 miles and they reckon 5-6 hrs so that seems reasonable. Think I’ll go with that as a van and a few trips with fuel would be around £200 and I’d have to do it on my own

cheers_drive

£1500 to move this January
    150 miles, 3 bed house. Filled 3 luton vans.
    Chose a company that used smaller vans instead of lorries as access is easier and they are not restricted by driving hours regs. Turned out to be a godsend as a moving day had lots of snow and the journey took 6 hours!
    If you have a small house and are going a short distance then a man with a van is a good option as long as you have nothing to valuable / easy to damage.

jekkyl

http://www.yell.com/

Search for removals and then your postcode, ring them up and ask.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

We paid just shy of 2K for our move from Kent to Devon a couple of years back. This would have been cheaper but included a move in and out of storage for 2 weeks between completing on our sale in Kent and our place down here being ready.

We’ve always previously done it ourselves including a move back from Holland a few years ago when I rented a huge luton over here and drove it over on the ferry (forgot I was driving it at one point and came within about 15mm of taking out the overhead gantry at Hoek Van Holland ferry port check in 😳

Samuri’s lessons learned list is spot on…. I’d also add that you probably don’t need to move about 30% of the stuff you own. We’ve still got boxes in the garage which haven’t been opened after 2 years, a couple of which haven’t been opened since our last move 9 years ago.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

We could be moving soon, literally down the road… about 200m (Why, you ask ….3 bed semi into 4 detached)

What d’you reckon? I was thinking of getting two of the biggest vans I can hire and employing my dad and brothers-in-law while shipping the kids off to the MiL

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

We just spent the bank holiday Sat-Mon ferrying stuff across in 2 cars ( a mini and a saloon, so far from ideal!) using 18″ cubed document boxes…then had a removal company take the big stuff and leftovers on Tues. They filled a Luton van and charged £350 to transport 14 miles. Took them about 5 hours.

Our friends had a company come and pack everything for them, move it and unpack in the specified rooms at the other end for a bargain; £600 in That London!

mogrim

If you can afford it, pay someone. You have loads more crap than you think you do, and your back will thank you for it. Professional movers are also far less likely to chip your furniture or take huge lumps out of the walls of your new house.

But either way, now is a good time to do a massive clearout. Be ruthless.

theotherjonv

I paid about £1000 but thst was ten years ago. And was a full service – they came the day before, 2 blokes, I let them in, showed them where the tea was, and then sodded off for an all day ride in the Surrey Hills. Came back late afternoon to find everything in clearly labelled up boxes.

The next day they came back and moved everything while we ran around dealing with estate agent and solicitor stuff.

Compared to the cost of a conveyancer or the house moving cost in general, money well spent!!

wilko1999
    Free Member

We paid £350 to move from a 3 bed terrace to a big 4 bed, only about 5 miles away. Had loads of stuff so we needed an HGV, a Luton would have taken 2 or 3 goes. If you are moving out and in the same day, and have someone waiting to move into your house that day, you have little choice but to hire someone. Unless you can fit all your stuff in an HGV that you or a mate can drive. But seriously, in the scale of how much a house move costs and how stressful it can be, it is so worth the effort to get someone in to do it.

stgeorge

Time is a big factor if your buying/sellimg and completing on same day.

We paid £600 to move 4 bed house contents 1 mile last year, well worth it (we boxed everything ourselves) Massive removal van and a luton, 4 blokes.

kcal

Ours was complicated by a move out, move into rented accommodation (so some stuff in storage) and then an onward move.

We moved from Edinburgh to Elgin (so, 180 odd miles), then Elgin to Elgin (1 mile). I had already shifted a decent whack of rubbish stuff to rented house, but they still took a huge removal truck and I think a luton truck as well. Cost was quite a bit. There was some cash discount stuff as well. But the relief at not moving all that stuff twice over was huge, couldn’t quantify it other than to say I was happy! This would be 8 years ago, certainly into 4 figures.

They came day before and packed as well, extra for that was minimal.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How much for house removals?’ is closed to new replies.