Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How much for an engineers report for a Cat D motor?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

My insurance company has just told me that I need to provide them with an engineers report before they will insure my new, to me, car as it is Cat D. Any idea what this sort of thing costs these days?

Annoying thing is the car only needed the front right side wing replacing…bah!

BigJohn

Then you might have to go and get it re-registered at your nearest VOSA office. Not sure of all the facts but my car was in danger of being written off for a small dent a couple of months ago (before the insurer decided their inspector was having a bad day) and my insurance broker listed all the things I would need to do and it sounded a right palaver.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Needs a full MOT too

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Engineers tend to charge insurers £50-70 if instructed by insurers.

Solicitors instructing the same engineers sent in invoices for £100+, and up to £150 for the really dodgy solicitors deeply in bed with accident managment companies. Whilst the courts will uphold those charges, most northern circuitjudges being deeply dishonest too, acharge to you from a decent engineer should be less than £70.

Tell me where in the country you are, and I'll give you an idea who to use, And who to avoid…. I can only suggest people who were good to use from an insurance point of view, ie helpful, quick, cheap, good coverage and my memories are a bit "vintage", but in london, would suggest Collins or Wheelers, East Anglia/Essex use H G Doggetts, West Mids, ICE (Independent Consulting Engineers), East Yorks H Rook were ok, and South Yorks Assessors for Yorks. In Lancs, used to use a firm called Autocheck, and this area of the country is a particular minefield for honest engineers…

Hope this helps slightly. But honestly, the phone book might just bee the best first point of call.

I think the trade association they belong to means anyone us use should be MIMI.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hi Jujuuk68,

In Peterborough if that helps any. Will be getting it all done myself so no solicitors or insurance instruction. To be honest I think I am with one of the few insurance companies who want a report on a Cat D vehicle. If I was not half way through a year policy I would cancel and go elsewhere.

Anyways,

Can I not get any independent garage mechanic to do the report for me or does it have to be a member of the MIMI you mention?

rickk

Just had an engineers report done as part of an uninsured loss claim, report was commissioned by the law firm acting for me, the invoice value for the report was £115.00 or thereabouts including travel.

Jamie
    Free Member

£115? Bugger. The weird thing is the insurance, when I spoke to them today, are insisting I should be able to get it for free as all they want is a report saying its all in good order, which even I imagine some backstreet garage would want payment for.

steveh

Does the fact that it has an mot not confirm this for them?

Jamie
    Free Member

Does the fact that it has an mot not confirm this for them?

Apparently not. Rang them today to put forward this fact, but they said they needed assurance stuff like the subframe etc was not twisted etc.

steveh

Are you sure it isn’t going to be easier to cancel your current insurance policy and take out another? You never get the best rate on a transfer so may find that the best price you can get on another policy is sufficiently cheaper to cover the admin charge etc of cancelling.

Jamie
    Free Member

steveh – Member
    Are you sure it isn’t going to be easier to cancel your current insurance policy and take out another? You never get the best rate on a transfer so may find that the best price you can get on another policy is sufficiently cheaper to cover the admin charge etc of cancelling.

It’s a non-starter really. It is my first year of car insurance so really need to get the first years no claims. Already paid out £520 for the policy and as 7 months in I would lose most of that. Transfer from one car to the other is only an extra £100 (bigger engine/newer) so not too bad.

If I started a new policy I would be starting the year no claims again as well as looking at about £1000+ as Carole Nash took on my motorcycles no claims (7 yrs) which, as I found when ringing around, many other insures will not.

Just got to bend over and take one for the team on this one I think 😥

steveh

Hmm in that case find another car springs to mind as the best option! It’s unfortunate for you as I’ve had 4 cat d’s in the past and none of the insurance companies have ever asked for anything about them.

mcobie
    Free Member

Have you tried the AA?

https://www.aacheck.com/viproducts.asp may help 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm in that case find another car springs to mind as the best option!

Maybe next time as car is bought/sorted already. Like you I assumed Cat D would be fine. Lesson for next time I guess 😉

As for the AA….

£184.00

Pffft!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How much for an engineers report for a Cat D motor?’ is closed to new replies.