Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • How much for a reasonable pair of running shoes please?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

All this talk of running is annoying me as I have an as yet undiagnosed problem with the lateral part of my left foot, which has kept me out for last 6-8 weeks 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

I have run lots of marathon distances and a few ultras but these are my own routes and personal races

Fair play, I'm impressed!

I think it's time for new shoes tho. My current ones were bought with heel striking in mind 🙁

roper
    Free Member

Surf-Mat
    Well that's handy as I've also considered trying the rocklites. I just can't find any local suppliers and would rather try them on first. I'll let you know how I get on with my Bikilas and maybe you can do the same with the rocklites?

molgrips, personally I'm not again "normal running shoes" at all, if they work for someone. I like to vary the way I run and have so far found the VFF give me more freedom to do so. I'm sure I will still use my trail shoes too so don't give up on your others unless they are causing you problems.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are not specifically causing me problems, but other shoes may be better… And let's face it running at all is an ordeal for me so I need all the help I can get.

surfer
    Free Member

On falling standards, I'm just coming to the end of Charlie Spedding's book (recommended by the way,

Stever if you enjoy that you may also enjoy:

Zatopek

and

Puff Puff Pirie!

Googling a source for the above two threw up this quote from Zatopek which summarises my position:

I shall learn to have a better style once they start judging races according to their beauty. So long as it's a question of speed, then my attention will be directed to seeing how fast I can cover the ground.

Emil Zatopek

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Surf-Mat
    Well that's handy as I've also considered trying the rocklites. I just can't find any local suppliers and would rather try them on first. I'll let you know how I get on with my Bikilas and maybe you can do the same with the rocklites?

Sounds ideal!

I've used Inov8s Mudclaws for about two years and really rate them in the right conditions but they a very minimalist – sort of like ballet shoes with super flexy hockey shoe soles! Took several runs to get used to them.

roper
    Free Member

I'll be interested to see how you get on with them.
    My main concern, as with a lot of conventional shoes, is how much room they allow at the toe end. I like space to flex or wriggle my toes and for my forefoot to have a wide landing. Some trail shoes do give a little more space than road shoes but others like the vivo barefoot range are almost like clown shoes in comparison. Can you post when you've hd chance to give them a go?

stever
    Free Member

FWIW the 295s are quite roomy in the toe box and fairly square (I've a bit of space around my smaller toes I don't use. In fact that's about my only criticism – contouring on steeper stuff my foot moves around just a bit more than I'd like. I'd be interested to see what a half size down felt like on me.

Inov-8 have two lasts – race and enduro – the 295 uses the enduro which is more roomy.

roper
    Free Member

Thanks stever, I will look at their enduros

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

295s have just arrived – they look rather nice. Run day tomorrow so will report back!

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I've got 3 pairs of running shoes, all from a proper running shop. Innov8 Mudclaw 330s for the winter mud, New Balance 840 for BMF and New Balance 758 for road running. For both the NB shoes, I spent quite a bit of time trying on different shoes and brands and going through the process of watching my gait on screen after running on a treadmill. They are both very comfortable and suited my [then] style of running.

However, this changed after listening to Christopher McDougall on the radio talking about his life changing experience with the Tarahumara Indians, and his subsequent book, Born to Run. I started barefooting almost immediately and have never enjoyed the experience of running as much as I now do.
    Running of roads and footpaths is certainly far more comfortable as a novice barefooter. Having said that, the 'country road' surface of stones poured on wet tar is not good.
    In addition to pure barefoot, I've been running in VFFs that certainly make running on stony tracks much more comfortable.
    Thought I'd try some traditional running sandals, 'Huraches'. I made these on Monday afternoon for £8 for the pair and did 8 miles of mixed terrain around the Dark Peak in them that evening. I had to re-tie them once almost certainly because the cordage (dyneema that was lying around is not the most suitable) is far from idea. Am off to find some leather later today. Barefoot Ted has the instructions on his website, showing how to make them. The hardest part was trying to get the sole rubber from a cobbler!

I am currently using the NB 840s for BMF and will continue to do so because of the other activities that could be harsh to bare feet. The Mudclaws will still be used for winter duties, but I just don't see the NB758s getting much use at all.

Bare feet or sandals from now on.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cool!
    BTW have you seen what inov8 have for next year?
    http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/inov8-evoskins-bare-grip-200-pics

That last one means you'll able to dump the mudclaws too 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

49er – I have those Mudclaws and they helped me bag a 5th place at a biggish trail race. Amazing grip in mud and loose rocks! Definitely quite brutal though.

I'm wearing my new 295s under my desk and look like a bit of a loon – they work well as slippers so far. First test run tomorrow.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Homemade running sandals.

stever
    Free Member

Ah, heard you'd gone barefoot Ian. How's it going?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'll be interested to see how you get on with them.

Just ran my usual route – very technical, about 5 miles, currently very dry.

The shoes look quite substantial but weigh very little, the toe box is definitely roomier than my Mudclaws and the laces are rather short as usual.

Grip is amazing at both ends of the shoe – a major criticism of my Asics Trail Sensors is poor front end grip and traction. Like all Inov8s they have very little padding and a flexy sole but this works very well on the trail. Tarmac is much more comfortable than with the Mudclaws but there's a fair bit of shock transmitted through the soles – I didn't use my inserts (bit of a pronator) but might consider them next time.

Overall, I'm very impressed and got near my PB which was set in perfect conditions (cool, almost dry) – today was very hot and dusty.

Definitely not for newish runners though – like all Inov8s they feel quite brutal. For experienced runners, get some.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ah, heard you'd gone barefoot Ian. How's it going?
    Yeah not bad.
    More minimal rather than true barefoot, though I occasionally take my shoes off for the odd mile or so, just to remind me what my feet are doing.
    Put a stress fracture in a 2nd metatarsal after doing too much too soon with a set of fivefingers back in March, but that's seems pretty common. But apart from that i've found running much more enjoyable than ever before.

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven't got new radical shoes, but I would just like to share that last night I ran for ages and it felt really good. First time ever that I've enjoyed a run, I think 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cool! 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘How much for a reasonable pair of running shoes please?’ is closed to new replies.