• This topic has 24 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How much for 2 cubic meters of readimix concrete??
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Looking at laying a concrete slab and can’t find a price for readimix concrete. Anyone have a basic idea of price per cubic meter?
    Many thanks.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

Depends on where you are I suppose. I just rang a local ready mix company, price for 1.5 cubic meter was around 200 quid.

I’m based in Notts

5thElefant
    Free Member

I did a shed base, about 14′ x 8′ a few years back. So, something like 1.5m3 and it was £200ish same as Wilson.

marvpreston
    Free Member

You might be able to save a few quid if you have a barrow mix company in your locality. You pay a bit more per cube but you only pay for what you use.

Generally with the bigger ready mix companies you pay for the concrete you order and a smaller part load cost for the part of the wagon you don’t use, so you pay £70/80 per cube dependent on the mix and then £20/30 for the cube of unused space!! Also, some of the big boys have smaller trucks that can keep the costs down??

Hope that helps;)

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Really useful. Might need a smaller lorry so it can get into our drive.

st

Look for a mini mix company. They have waggons with a smaller capacity albeit a slightly higher rate per cube. I’d never expect a domestic customer who only requires a part load to buy from a company that only runs 6 cube lorries.

My Dad had an issue with a mix on site company, their gauge showing the quantity supplied seemed to be weighted in their favour. If you go this route make sure you’re as confident as you can be about the volume your filling.

marcus7
    Free Member

last summer it cost me £110 for the first m3 then 90 for each one after that… same as already stated really

tonyplym
    Free Member

Hope you can get the delivery truck close enough so they can empty directly into the hole – otherwise, don’t underestimate how much time (and effort) it takes to shift 2 m^3 (or about 4 1/2 tons) of setting concrete.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

2 cubic meters isnt very much. i would just hire a mixer and mix it by hand. unless you can utilise a full load, redimix isn’t really worth it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

When building a raft foundation on an extension on my old house I used a company called accumix for the 3 concrete pours needed(not sure if they are a national company) the truck mixed it on site and they only charged me for what I used. They even helped barrow it up the garden and showed me how best to work the concrete.
    I would recommend finding a similar company as there is no risk of over or under ordering and they were the cheapest quote I got.

Andy

choppersquad
    Free Member

If I decided to hire a mixer and mix it myself, how would I manage to get a good finish on it? Surely it would start to go off before I had a chance to level it all off?
    If I could get a mini mix lorry in the drive it’ll only be about 10m away from where we want it so shouldn’t be too bad wheeling it backwards and forwards?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t mix it by hand it’ll cost you more, wont be as consistent or as good a mix.
    Where you based?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Based in Surrey.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As above it will be about 200 quid.
    Most of your pay as you lay wagons are 8 wheelers so big lorries.
    Ideally you want a local mini mix firm running a 4 wheeler which most are.
    What’s the final use of the slab?

choppersquad
    Free Member

It’s going to have a 3mx5.5m timber workshop on it.

br
    Free Member

2 cubic meters isnt very much. i would just hire a mixer and mix it by hand. unless you can utilise a full load, redimix isn’t really worth it.

Aye, and how many folk are fit enough to manually mix 4.5 tonne of materials, correctly.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Will you be using the finished base as the floor?

footflaps

I payed about £60 / cubic metre delivered last year. Hire of a pump for 1/2 day was £300 as the site was 60m from the road and I wasn’t barrowing 12 m3.

Concrete pumping truck by brf, on Flickr

Pumping concrete 60m by brf, on Flickr

After two lorry loads (12 cubic metres) by brf, on Flickr

antimony
    Free Member

Footflaps – can you remember how much that all cost – excavation, steel, concrete etc? And how big is it? I’m thinking about a 4 bay garage and wandered about groundwork costs.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yes it’ll basically be used as the floor with just some rubber matting down. Not planning to spend long winter evenings in there. I was thinking of insulating the roof somehow myself as they want another £750 for the materials if you buy it from the suppliers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Therefore you want a reasonable finish.
    I’d ask for a c30 (stregnth) mix prob 70/80 (wetness) slump and straight opc (no additives etc) or you’ll not be getting a finish on it any time soon.
    1 layer of a193 mesh just to strengthen it up.
    Antimony what size?

antimony
    Free Member

Approx 5.5m x 10.5m, but if the costs mount up, I can leave the two open “cart sheds” with a gravel floor so would just need foundations for the dwarf walls.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So you’re looking at prob £600 worth of concrete. £250 sub base. 6 sheets a193 mesh £240.
    Machine for the day to reduce and stone up £depends on what who you use. Shuttering timber? Something that size probably wants a bit of drainage putting in too.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks Wrightyson. That’s perfect.

br
    Free Member

Yes it’ll basically be used as the floor with just some rubber matting down. Not planning to spend long winter evenings in there.

If you are using it like that you’ll want to fully insulate the floor properly. Or just buy a wood one and sit it on (damp-barriered) block pillars.

I did this with an existing building, but you get the idea:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How much for 2 cubic meters of readimix concrete??’ is closed to new replies.