Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • How much faster will I be without my camelbak…? Road bike content
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

I’m upsetting the local road biking community using my newly purchased (first ever for me) road bike and still wearing my camelbak on the road…

Question is:

a) if I ditch the camelbak for a small saddle bag how much faster will I go?

b) how much less embarrassed to be seen with me will the traditional roadie crowd be? (as a %) 😉

legend
    Free Member

a) 5
    b) 92%

granny_ring

Keep it on and wind them up. Snobs. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andytherocketeer

do the same as me.
    wear baggies – more pockets to put keys, coins, etc. in.
    😈

do feel like i’ve forgotten or lost or missing something when the back is free though

everyone
    Free Member

How much stuff are you carrying to need a camelback? Just get a proper jersey with back pockets, all I carry is mini pump, tube, co2, multi tool, food and phone. Water goes in bottles on the frame.

ads678

a) how much faster do you want to be….
    b) sod em!

stevied
    Free Member

I’d be looking for a new riding group if they get upset by someone wearing something they don’t like. If you want to wear a CB, why should it affect them? Or is it slowing you down that much they have to wait for you?

hora
    Free Member

The ‘funny’ thing is men in lycra plastered in advertisements in no way linked to them look stupid.

They then feel the misplaced arrogance to question what someone wears.

Ive never looked at male road cyclists and thought ‘wow what trendy stunners they all are’. My bike/my kit my rules. 😀

RustySpanner

granny_ring – Member
    Keep it on and wind them up. Snobs.

If i doesn’t bother you, bollox to ’em.

And it won’t be ‘your local road riding community’.
    It’ll be a few sad, middle class tossers judging others by their own, self imposed rules.

See also ‘slammed’ stems, lack of mudguards, ‘lookalike’ race bikes, not drinking enough, riding like a cock, throwing gel wrappers at sheep etc.

poisonspider
    Free Member

There is an argument to say wearing a camelbac could make you quicker. Aren’t they supposed to help with aerodynamics? Like a TT helmet kinda thing?

riddoch

Rule #32 // Humps are for camels: no hydration packs.
    Hydration packs are never to be seen on a road rider’s body. No argument will be entered into on this. For MTB, they are cool.

That is all. However no idea if that applies to your tripster type gravel bike.

RustySpanner

See?
    🙂

Cycling – it’s all about freedom buying into a ‘lifestyle’, because you’re too scared to live your own life.

andytherocketeer

Rules… are there to be broken 😉

mtbel
    Free Member

There is NOTHING cool about an ugly rucksack full of water, tools and 3 changes of clothing incase the weather becomes a little… well.. weather like.

WTF do you need a camelback for?

ransos
    Free Member

Of course, you should never ride with people who take the Rules seriously.

stumpyjon

I was determined to use mine on my road bike, then stopped as it made my back hurt. I also like the uncluttered feeling of road riding.

hora
    Free Member

Same reason why i use a Deuter hip pack for mtb

andytherocketeer

Usually a camelback lobo if i do wear one. Quite small.
    I use the excuse that my road bike is really a CX bike.
    Baggies and camelback usually. Baggies and saddlebag sometimes.

edit: and camelback pocket is far more convenient to carry the mobile phone now that phones are becoming a bit oversized again

ads678

I also like the uncluttered feeling of road riding.

Surely having everything neatly stored away in a pack is as uncluttered as you can get. Rather than having pockets full and stuff hanging from the bike?!?

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Haha, nice answers so far! 😀

I should have said that all the mates I ride with aren’t bothered (mainly because they mostly ride mtb anyway). I’ve just had some funny looks from some other chain gangs and even comments from roadies that I’ve overtaken whilst wearing the back pack!

I finished in the top 5 in my category at last year’s Southern xc series so have a semi decent motor to push the road bike along with, I just quite like the security of knowing that I’ve got all my spares (and a spot of lunch!) packed in my camelbak. 8)

lunge

Ignore the snobbery, camelbacks, like baggy shorts, just don’t work well on a road bike.

Roadies don’t use a camelback party because of “the rules” but mostly because there is no need at all, you can get all you need in a couple of bottles, you jersey pockets and a saddle bag if needed. It’s more comfortably, you’ll get less of a sweaty back and there is something very pleasant about having nothing there as well.

Lycra is the same, I wear it because it works. Yes, I may not look overly pleasant to other people but I’m a grown man on a push bike, I look like a tit anyway, I may as well be a comfortable tit.

charlierevell
    Free Member

Yikes… how much do you need to carry??
    I dont even use a saddle bag in the summer…

mtbel
    Free Member

take money and lunch out. Road cycling isn’t for povos you know

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Phone and a few quid in pockets. Spare tube, pump and water bottle on the bike. Any more than that and you’re ‘touring’, in which case baggies are perfectly acceptable.

dragon
    Free Member

I just think it’s sensible not to wear them. Why put stress on your arms and shoulders with the weight, and at the same time cover up your main radiator (back) for dumping heat?

Saddle bags, bottle cages and back pockets were invented for a reason, use them 🙂 Plus they are cheap and easier to clean also.

warns74
    Free Member

Dont ditch the camelbak……ditch the road bike! Problem solved!

RustySpanner

The OP hasn’t mentioned comfort.
    I assume he’s not uncomfortable.

I don’t wear a bag on a drop bar bike as I find it uncomfortable.
    I have a saddlebag, panniers or a bar bag instead.

If your poncing around on a fake Tour bike, living out a fantasy, then fine, you probaly enjoy being cold/wet/dehydrated and suffering as much a possible – that’s what the pro’s do, isn’t it?
    Oh, remember not to smile at anyone either.
    😉

Modern ‘road riding’ is all about the martyrdom – it’s self flagellation for those who can’t admit that they’d be happier pootling along to the owl sanctuary on a nice tourer.
    😀

It’ll be a few sad, middle class tossers judging others by their own, self imposed rules.

I’m confused. The road group, or Singletrackworld?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

if you are also wearing 5.10 impacts that is going to make you super cool and faster

RustySpanner

Both.

If the overpriced Rapha cycling cap fits………………
    😀

mtbel
    Free Member

ha ha…. 😀

taxi25
    Free Member

I call bull. The op reckons he’s had funny looks 🙄 and no roadie is going to make a negative comment about a faster riders gear !! Thier more likely to think “will I be as fast if I get one” . Honestly no one out on the road could careless how you carry a drink.

onandon
    Free Member

Both.

If the overpriced Rapha cycling cap fits………………

incase It gets a bit chilly later you can stuff that in the camelbak with the other crap 🙂

RustySpanner

taxi25 – Member
    Honestly no one out on the road could careless how you carry a drink.

Oh yes they do – this place is full ’em:
    Banging on about how they never drink water – just absorb it out of the air, how triples cause impotance and that enjoying yourself is cheating.
    🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Probably not at all if you’re upright enough for it not to slide into the back of your neck / helmet or that the waist strap digs in due to aero positioning 😆

I still don’t get the need to wear ‘baggies’ on the road, at the very least they’re damned uncomfortable and all flappy in the wind.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I still don’t get the need to wear ‘baggies’ on the road

Through most of the winter one or two layers of lycra just aren’t enough to keep your knob from freezing on long rides.

fasthaggis

Caring too much about what others think,will slow you down.
    FACT! 😉

dudeofdoom

Through most of the winter one or two layers of lycra just aren’t enough to keep your knob from freezing on long rides.

I thought that was when they used the turbo trainer :-p

steve_b77
    Free Member

Mostly Balanced – Member
    Through most of the winter one or two layers of lycra just aren’t enough to keep your knob from freezing on long rides

What about nice wind proof water repellent fleecy lined bibs longs over a set of padded bit shorts?

Can’t say I’ve ever had an issue to be honest.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

a) at least this much –>| |<——- *
    b) 7.876%

* not to scale

HTH

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How much faster will I be without my camelbak…? Road bike content’ is closed to new replies.