Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • How much does your biking cost you?
  • pictonroad

Was Less now I’ve stopped reading PSA’s on here, but now I’ve discovered road riding and the joyful variety of different specific clothing then it’s back up to hundreds a month.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve got this one all wrapped up.

About £69,000.00 in the last 6 months.

jeffl

Interesting question. The MTB just gets wear and tear items replaced, so probably averages out at £20/month. Bought a road bike for commuting on C2W scheme, that’s about £30/month. Also did coast 2 coast, a sportive and Bristol Bikefest. So yeah it’s adding up to probably around £80/month.

metalheart
    Free Member

So far this year it’s only been about £1200 in bike/bits. I’ll ignore petrol coz if I didn’t go out on the bike I’d probably be going somewhere else. Mind you I do have a bit of ‘spares’ box which has been raided for odds n sods (rim tape, valves, etc). Got a 3x XT boxed groupset from a year or so back lurking there somewhere…

Main problem atm is my soul trans is pretty much shot and I’m eyeing up 1×11. That and my mates about to get a Soul27.5 so the (BR)green eyed monster could come a knocking!

However, whatever else, it’s not a patch on motorcycling, that’s seriously expensive.

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm, well bought a new bike last month so that’s pushed the total up by a bit 🙄 I’ve got three active bikes (plus one that’s in limbo) and mostly it’s a matter of servicing/maintenance costs.

This year’s big spends have been getting lightweight bikepacking kit so although bike related it’s not actually bike parts – things like lightweight, compact sleeping bag, sleeping mat. In part these have been replacements for some very old kit I’d left over from my climbing days, things have moved on.

Is biking/mountain biking expensive? If you can’t afford it then yes it is, but in absolute terms there are a lot of expensive hobbies/sports around: anything motorsport related; sailing (especially ocean going rather than inland water); equestrian sports.

kerley
    Free Member

From a running costs point of view about £100 a year I would guess (chains, BB, etc,.)

Helps that I do all my riding straight from my door and ride a rigid SS.

Actually spend about £1000 a year on unnecessarily changing parts though…..

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Do we need to include the money spent on flapjack, jelly babies and post ride beer etc ?

timber

Not bothered since the time I did it at uni’ when 2 or 3 years equated to a second hand Porsche 911.

It’s just stuff, the experiences are invaluable.

beej

Jeez, quite a bit this year. £3.5k on a new best road bike, £700 on frame and bits for a new winter bike, two holidays, assorted kit, parts, consumables, a couple of event entries.

£8K?

Then there’s all the extra food and beer I can have because I’m riding ten hours a week – that must add up too.

Damn good value overall though.

Marin
    Free Member

Don’t care, it’s fun so the cost is worth it.

jimjam
    Free Member

I have no idea and I’m not going to contemplate it for a second.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

What cost for keeping me fit and lowering my chance of life threatening disease and increased life expectancy? Priceless, some know the cost of everything and the value of nothing

nosedive
    Free Member

The only good thing about this thread is that some of you are worse than me. On the plus side i have only had 6 bikes in 20 years. On the downside i’ve got a minimum of a £100 a month at crc, endless race entry and i swapped a perfectly good german estate for a knackered van. Basically every disposable penny i have after family commitments

solamanda
    Free Member

I’d guess £1k a year in wear and tear, depreciation, clothing etc. £2.5k in car running costs for riding trips, £1k – £2.5k on holidays depending on destination. So a typical year can easily be up to £6k.

jonnyseven

Not worth thinking about – if I counted I would question the value of something I love. Should I count up how expensive the wife is?

senorj

I reckon about £1000 this year,I bought my boys first pedal bike, a few chains&cassettes ,fork bits,bearings,Epo and some necessary clothing.and some 3t lovely bits for the cx.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How much does your biking cost you?’ is closed to new replies.