Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • How much does your biking cost you?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Very rough numbers but i was bored and downloaded my paypal transactions. Roughly allowing for cash buys and sales I’ve spent around £7k on bikes and bits in the last 2 years, but sold around £5.5k. Diesel probably £2k based on £20 a week, so 3.5k net spend, or £35 a week. Less than a smoking addiction that’s for sure!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Probably 4k a year?

Rorschach
    Free Member

My dignity,self respect and will to live.Vgfm really.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

MTBing can certainly be quite expensive, especially if you need to travel to the trails. Depending on what sort of riding you’re doing; it can be quite easy to wreck several hundred pounds worth of gear if you cock something up. OTOH, about seven or so years ago, the only MTBing I really did was round the Grizedale area, so fairly gentle stuff, and it was within riding distance, so it cost nowt really.

These days I don’t mtb at all; my current road bike (only worth a few hundred pounds) I built on March and since then the only thing I’ve changed on it has been a chain and the pedals. It rides great and should probably just crack on with it, but I ordered a custom disc braked frame in February and have been buying bits to build it up with, so it’s been an expensive year really.

tomhoward

An obscene amount.

It’s worth every penny.

RustySpanner

This year?
    A new bottom bracket, a new top, set of panniers and a rack for Mrs S, two sets of pedals and a Surly.
    🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I have never worked it out and I never will.

mintimperial

It’s not a cost, it’s an investment in my continuing sanity and will to live.

Also I don’t want to think about it. I’ve kept pretty much every bike-kit-related receipt since about 2010 so I could actually work it out pretty accurately, but the sheer size of the pile alone scares me. 😯

rascal
    Free Member

If it puts a smile on your face and you can afford it it’s worth it.
    This year’s been a pricey one though…

Road:
    Gloves
    Sportful jersey
    Ultegra chainset
    Ultegra calipers
    Conti GP2000s tyres
    Charge Ti seat

MTB:
    Reverb
    Revelation full service
    New shock bushings
    Gloves
    Grips
    A week in Morzine
    Oh…and a Cannondale Trigger!
    (new tyres and 1×10 to come)

All good stuff 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Less than the cost of my sanity and cheaper than the medical bills of climbing

Kryton57

It’s not a cost, it’s an investment in my continuing sanity and will to live.

I like that.

benji
    Free Member

Don’t want to work it out, it’s my only vice and reason for going to work.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The theory is it saves me money as I pedal rather than drive between work and home. In reality it would take a long time of saving £30 a week in fuel to pay for the bike. But I try not to think about that.

yacoby
    Free Member

This year? 6k – 8k I think. It is my biggest expense after rent and bills.

Of course, I count the car as bike related (as it is the only reason I own a car)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I should add a pile of broken tools building trails too! What surprised me was the cost of stuff i sold, mainly a few larger items. If i kept everything I’d be forced out of home already

Northwind

Not even going to add it up. Lots. And yeah, like yacoby the car is a biking cost too.

butcher

I probably average about £100 a month, and a lot of it isn’t on bikes. I’m not a big spender and don’t go out buying all the new top of the range gear. Things like clothes, GPS, lights, tyres, lots of little things that add up. I’ve probably spent 2.5k on buying bikes and parts in 10 years.

All in all though, my bike helps me get to work, and that saves me well over £100 a month. So the way I see it, I’m saving money 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

+1 for it being an investment rather than a cost. Look at the state of your typical non-cyclist.
    It also reduces my transport costs by riding to work/the shops etc.
    Since I reduced how often I rode MTB and now pretty much gone 100% road, the spend is negligible – my summer bike still has original brake blocks after 6 years and chain only had to be changed last year

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I have no idea what it would add up to, but petrol is by far my biggest cost. I’ve made a few upgrades this year but they’ve been mostly covered by selling the bits they replaced (converting to 1x made me money because I bought less parts than I sold).

ChrisE
    Free Member

As my Mrs knows, my Scalpel Team cost £200 and I spend about £20 a year on tyres, drivetrain, clothes, Alpine trips and the rest.

Ahem…..

C

simmy
    Free Member

Dunno, don’t care either.

As long as I can pay my bills and have a bit of emergency money I will spend my money on my cycling.

I don’t drink, smoke, gamble ( much ) spend on Coke and hookers so my cycling is my sanity.

It helps when all the costs are tax deductible through BikeAbility though…….

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I mostly just ride road now so not much. Unlike regular MTBing stuff just don’t get trashed the same way. I tend to keep clothes and stuff for quite a long time; things rarely get replaced just because I fancy something new.
    This year I’ve bought some knee warmers and new overshoes, a new tyre, and replaced a lot of the drivetrain whcih makes it a relatively expensive one at, I dunno, maybe around £300?

rp16v
    Free Member

Big outlay this year was my road bike and kit for commuting 3-4/5 days a week

Allot of my stuff is traded for parts or made cost back by reselling old which lowers overal total allot
    outlay this year about 2k

leffeboy

not nearly enough given that, as others have mentioned, it is the main thing that keeps me sane. I think it’s time to up my spending a bit as I don’t think I get outside low hundreds a year normally

MSP

This year around 10k, s-works enduros are bloody expensive, after the bike the other big ticket item was a weeks guided holiday.

Next year I have three guided holidays planned and with other bits and bobs will I would expect to spend 6k+

I make sacrifices in other areas to afford it all.

dpfr

La la la la la…………..

Not thinking about it

P-Jay
    Free Member

Whatever I’ve got, used to be thousands a year, this year it’s a few hundred. Next year will be more.

iainc

I don’t hang onto stuff I don’t use, selling it here, FB etc. I reckon outwith bikes probably £100 a month, sometimes less, often more. But it’s a healthy pursuit, so I don’t grudge it.

Wally

income +n

Kunstler

Not much on the bikes, just really replacing a few worn out and broken bits and pieces. I did splash out on the full set of bikepacking gear and then made a lot of use of it. So my other expense was train fares to start of rides and the amount of food I need when I ride all day and don’t want to have to cook my own (because I want to ride all day).

thecaptain
    Free Member

So long as I’m spending more on cycling than driving, I’m happy. Easy enough if you count the van as a cycling accessory, but even without that, I think I’m still ahead overall (many years car-free helped). MOT/VED/insurance adds up to a lot of bike toys though, even before you consider fuel 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Depends where do you draw the line? I chose my car purely on the basis of it’s ability to carry bikes (as did t’other half), and is the main reason I am keeping it now I live within a cycling commute of work. Usually our most expensive annual holiday is a “big” riding holiday, and have been to USA, Turkey, India, Morocco as well as the usual European destinations and ‘just’ weekends away to Wales etc staying in B+Bs.

If cycling is an integral part of your life how do you separate the costs?

edhornby

Depends on how parsimonious you are generally, I cycle to work, wear mostly cheap kit, my bikes are all sub £1000 and I don’t drive to ride because small kids generally preclude it (we are a 1 car family) so I pay buttons.

If I do splash out, it’s for something that will be value for money, like a decent jacket or the important bits of the bike like tyres brakes etc

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Whatever number I wrote would be lying…I’m not sure I know the truth anymore re bike spending… 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Put it this way… IDGAF!

As long as it costs me less than I earn (and have paid my bills in that too), then I’m not too bothered.

In practice, as I also own a bike shop, I do get the benefit of claiming a bike or two as “demo bikes” for myself (so the business pays), but I still spend way more than I should…

It is my biggest expense after rent and bills.

You’re definitely doing it wrong… Cycling is definitely my biggest expense, before rent or any other bills!!! 😆

Whatever number I wrote would be lying…I’m not sure I know the truth anymore re bike spending…

This man gets it… Chapeau to you sir!

Tracey

Buy everything in the sales. That way its not what I spend its what I save.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Wouldnt like to think about it,between bikes, gear, events, travel (which is basically every weekend) the odd biking holiday its a lotta lotta money, way I look at is I dont drink (or very little) and I dont smoke, Ive no kids and a very small mortgage, basically its the only thing I spend money on, enjoy it I say, lifes too short 😀

shaungero
    Free Member

Not sure money wise but there definitely could be a lot worse things to spend it on. Once it gets ya it gets ya this MTB thing.

TiRed

What does a divorce cost 😉

Race entries alone are about £60 per month. I normally add about one bike a year; the trike this year, plus an upgraded winter bike (Defy) as teen2 has grown out of it.

Less than the cost of depreciation for the car I do not own :).

Bregante

Once it gets ya it gets ya this MTB thing.

As my mate says, it’s as addictive as crack and about four times as expensive. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘How much does your biking cost you?’ is closed to new replies.