Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • how much does a pint of blood cost the nhs
  • CheesybeanZ

How much do you think it costs the NHS to get a pint of the red stuff ready for use ?

Blood service advertising to get volunteers to donate
    Venue , trained team of staff to collect the blood
    Transport and equipment
    Blood screening / testing /research
    Admin
    Tea and biscuits
    Other parts of the process I can’t think off .
    = £??.?? Per pint .

wanmankylung
    Free Member

£300/ pint 5 years ago.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I donate platelets, I asked once (about platelets), and was surprised, I think it was pushing £1K

scotroutes

Meh. I donate whole plates. Proper big ones!

cynic-al
    Free Member

chewkw
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member
    £300/ pint 5 years ago.

Whhaaaaa … 😯

I was a regular donor for several years … Used to donate twice a year.

cynic-al – Member
    I donate platelets, I asked once (about platelets), and was surprised, I think it was pushing £1K

Whhhaaaa … I too was a regular platelets donor for two years … 😯

The only reason I stop because I am just simply too lazy to sit there for 1.5hr (think 2 to 2.5hr in total) getting bore … they should have some pole dancers to entertain me while I donate life essence you know.

Once the nurse got a bit piss off with me because instead of platelets they got plenty of lard off me … (think I ate something few days before …) so needed more processing before they could use the platelets. 😀

I will start platelets donation again when life is less stressful.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve stopped cos they don’t do evenings so it’s 3 hours out of a day off.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’s mostly tax these days and people won’t pay it they’d rather sit at home drinking blood out of cans.

GregMay
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    cynic-al » I donate platelets, I asked once (about platelets), and was surprised, I think it was pushing £1K

Meh. I donate whole plates. Proper big ones!

You owe me a new non tea covered Macbook. PMSL at this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well I guess someone had to find him funny.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

About as much as it costs them to change a light bulb then .

chewkw
    Free Member

My Russian doctor friend told me to donate platelets because it could make me beautiful again …

She explained the reasons behind it, think something to do with cleaning the blood while platelets are being filtered and back to the body etc, … I just heard the word ‘beautiful’ and went for it.

😆

oldnpastit

Probably will be a lot more if you factor in the compensation claims and ongoing care costs for all the hemophiliacs from the 1980s who picked up HIV and Hepatitis.

Speshpaul

“I’ve stopped cos they don’t do evenings”

Eh?

bruk

Well 250 mls of packed red cell for a dog costs about £250 from memory from the Pet blood bank which is a charity that can supply blood from donated pets to be given when needed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its not £300 a unit.

Its a lot less than that, I could find out for you, but whats the reason?

dr_death
    Free Member

Couple of hundred quid, but probably more so because they sold it off to an american private company and there’s an internal market propped up by a whole hoard of admindroids employed purely to bill one bit of the NHS for another bit of the NHS…

CheesybeanZ

Its a lot less than that, I could find out for you, but whats the reason?

The question came up while having a cuppa after donating and none of the staff new the figure.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

they sold it off to an american private company

The Tories privatised the nation’s blood supply?! I can’t believe that!

Well actually I can.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab uses three small vials of blood product a week, 150ml total.
    Now these are shipped in from US.
    The cost of the drugs is more than she earns as a teacher we are informed. 😯
    Regularly the carrier bag handed to her by hospital is worth more than the car used to transport thrm home.

poly
    Free Member

The NHS Blood Transfusion service charges: £121.85 per unit of blood.

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/download/board_papers/mar14/NHSBT_Budget_2014_15.pdf

yunki
    Free Member

Probably will be a lot more if you factor in the compensation claims and ongoing care costs for all the hemophiliacs from the 1980s who picked up HIV and Hepatitis.

yeah, they’ve been pretty selective about donors since the early 90s

I’ve got a lifetime ban due to some nefarious activity in my teens… my uncle didn’t even want a kidney off me when he was clinging on to life on dialysis

ungrateful 🙄

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The retail value (if that’s the right word) in the Philippines was

3L of blood & 1L of platelets = ~£6,000*

My son’s operation wasn’t covered by insurance. We had quite a hefty bill to pay!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Tea and biscuits

No badge?

CheesybeanZ

Forgot about the badges and the don’t forget and thank you texts .

hels
    Free Member

They seem a bit shy about it over here. In Kiwiland they would set up in the school library at my high school at least once a year – 20 mins off classes was plenty of motivation.

Same at Uni – the blood bank was pretty much a permanent fixture during term time. We used to time it before drinking binges – lowering the blood in your alcohol stream saved cash !

mogrim

I’m not allowed to give blood here in Spain, in fact no one who lived in the UK during the mad cows crisis is allowed to.

kcal

ha! used to do that do hels — over in Glasgow – donate late afternoon, out on the lash for cheap – they ran sessions and let you donate every quarter – I was surprised on moving to Edinburgh to find it was every 6 months (maybe they needed less??)

hora
    Free Member

source?

Thats the Plasma service not the Blood & transplant side.

Could anyone else clarify please?

If it was the blood side privatised I would want paying for my blood donations.

On the donation-ease side. Even in Manchester its difficult to get an appointment.

timax
    Free Member

I had to give a pint of blood every two weeks for about 8 months due to Hereditary Heamochromotosis… All that went in the incinerator. The crazy thing is that it is just loaded with iron and normal people could potentially just get rid of the excess…. still not allowed to donate now until I have a good to go note from the consultant.Crazy!! …. try this one… try finding out your blood group if you don’t all ready know it?… impossible!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“try finding out your blood group if you don’t all ready know it?… impossible!!”

25 quid at the private clinic if you really need to know.

i did – i was in for 15 minutes , 3 days later the results were emailed to me followed up by a certificate.

im not allowed to donate due to prolonged use of anti malarials and significant time spent in malarial countries in the last few years.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Still cheaper than a pint of bulls semen. And a lot more useful too I imagine!

ninfan
    Free Member

Hora, yes I believe it was only the plasma side of things – and noteworthy that most of that work was already in the US because UK blood supplies cannot be used to produce plasma products due to vCJD risk.

hora
    Free Member

Ah I was confusing things with platelets donations too. Right, got it 😀

Northwind

mogrim – Member

I’m not allowed to give blood here in Spain, in fact no one who lived in the UK during the mad cows crisis is allowed to.

I’m not allowed to because I received some UK blood in about 2005. Which seems weird, if my only risk factor is getting a transfusion, surely my blood is still on average safer than the blood stock.

I don’t know about schools but they set up often here in the uni, I think mostly to collect amusing risk questionaires. We used to get them a lot at the bank, too- insert leech joke here

hora
    Free Member

Is that real? So the Government of Spain thinks we are all biological risks?

footflaps

Is that real? So the Government of Spain thinks we are all biological risks?

Probably not, but as Brits are the minority in Spain it’s hardly a significant loss.

Xylene
    Free Member

Still cheaper than a pint of bulls semen. And a lot more useful too I imagine!

Bulls semen would be better wall paper paste.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

hora – Member

source?

Thats the Plasma service not the Blood & transplant side.

Could anyone else clarify please?

As Z-11 says British plasma can’t be used because of mad cow disease. But apparently it’s just a matter of time before the restriction is lifted and British donated blood will start to be used by the profit-making US/Mitt Romney owned company.

How do you feel about a wealthy US Republican politician worth somewhere in the region of $250 million making money out of your freely donated blood hora?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘how much does a pint of blood cost the nhs’ is closed to new replies.