Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How often do you wax your shaft? (Pool content)
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

My first half decent pool cue arrived today in preparation for the local winter league – for the money I paid i’m very happy with it, but on close inspection there are a few pores in the wood grain, particularly near the butt that I imagine would benefit from a thicker coat of wax (?)

A quick Google leads me to a plethora of waxes and apparent techniques for cleaning and waxing (including light sanding).
    As I’ve never done any of these things I wonder if you would let me know your preferred method/products, and why?

willard

Waxing?

Never.

Back when I played a _lot_ it was all about the sanding. You want the stroke to be as smooth and frictionless as possible, so anything that added to grip on your front hand was a no-no.

McHamish
    Free Member

You probably want to wax your butt, but smooth the shaft with sand paper.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    willard

Maybe some sort of novel silicone or PTFE based lubricant would work on the shaft.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve seen reference to carnuba type waxes specifically for shafts, which when you think about rainfall rolling off a freshly waxed car, ie, no friction – I suppose that’s what they mean by the term ‘wax’
    Perhaps ‘friction-less sealant’ would be a better term?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How often do you wax your shaft? (Pool content)’ is closed to new replies.