Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • How much do you spend on sunglasses?
  • Houns

If I need my head examining (how nice) what about this guy?

And yes there are folks out there with much larger collections than that^

binners

Max is £50 (usually Bloc) as I am absolutely guaranteed to either sit on them, or leave them sat on a table outside the pub within a couple of weeks of buying them. And the more expensive, the shorter the timescale.

I don’t regularly do this with anything else I own, so why I do with sunglasses is a mystery 😥

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnlLhq1kW10[/video]

bones
    Free Member

Makes me wonder if Bret Hart is a cyclist 8)

zilog6128

I was bending down to reach something and they fell off my face onto a tiled floor. When I

I would recommend getting down to an Oakley dealer (if you have one in your neck of the woods) and find a pair that properly fit your face! I’ve had massive stacks on a snowboard, crashes on MTB, etc and mine have always stayed on my face! They actually do a special range for people with thinner faces (if that is the issue).

I’m done with Oakley. Has a pair of jackets and the super dooper lens covering flaked off.

Same has happened to mine, although to be honest I think it’s because of how I’ve been cleaning them “in the field” (i.e. t-shirt soaked in sweat/sun cream or covered in mud/grit etc). I’ve read online that you can soak them in alcohol to totally remove the coating which makes the lenses usable again. (haven’t personally tried that yet but will after I get some replacement lenses in case the originals melt or something!!)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Plenty of replies. Thanks all.

I contacted Oakley customer services and was offered $50 off a new pair. I’ll look into repair. But, just read the email again

“While we are unable to repair the sunglasses, we do have an exclusive upgrade program for our valued customers.”

I thought I’d paid a lot of money. Guess I didn’t (compared to a lot of you!)

It’s a funny one. On one hand, I guess I wear them 50 hours a week so, £/hour, it’s good value.

On the other hand, when you wear them all the time, they’re going to be dropped / sat on / found by children etc at some point.

I guess, a better question would have been, at what price are the lenses clear and crisp? In my OP, I said how the Oakleys acted like a very mild prescription in as much as they actually made things clearer. You need to try on several pairs of £2 Raybans before you find some with non-distorting lenses.

I still want to know what glasses you bought aP!

edit: Zilog – was the first time they’d fallen off. Bloody typical eh. How I wish I had a narrow face instead of my Irish ‘big ol’ scone square’!

cookeaa

Prescription user here:

Day to day sunnies (driving, out and about with the kids etc) are Vans “Spicoli”, big old wayfarer type frames: £10-15 depending on which colour/pattern you buy and what time of year, bust the first pair on holiday after 3 years, went online and ordered a replacement pair which wa waiting when I got home, pop the lenses out and into the new frame, just keeping an eye out for a 2nd set…

Also have some (copies I think) Spy Helms bought off ebay for very little which I keep meaning to get reglazed.

Riding Glasses Oakley Jawbone copies or Bolle Spiders, the Bolles are actually lightweight safety glasses, and are available with tinted lenses so might make reasonable day to day sunnies for someone working outside a lot…

john_drummer
    Free Member

prescription sunnies – about what I’d spend on unshaded prescription glasses.

non-prescription, for when I’ve got my contact lenses in – about a tenner

aP
    Free Member

They’re Mykita Mareika frames with 1.74 index bi-aspheric lenses with a 15% tint and an antireflective and hydrophic coating. I have a -11.5 prescription and had a partial retinal detachment last summer. I bought them because when it’s bright outside the pieces of my retina that detached are quite intrusive into my vision and having dark lenses helps somewhat.
    When I picked them up my optician had also got me some new lenses for my cycling frames – gratis! I also got a print of the surgery scar patterns on my retina as well as they’d been very curious to see what had been done so we spent an hour with the retina camera taking pictures 😯

rogermoore

I am absolutely guaranteed to either sit on them, or leave them sat on a table outside the pub within a couple of weeks of buying them. And the more expensive, the shorter the timescale.

^ this.
    RM.

stevied
    Free Member

I treated myself a few years ago to some Oakley X-squared to the tune of £300. Also have a pair of 5’s for riding that I bought 2nd hand for £40

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

37 years old and never brought or wore a pair. I wear normal glasses all the time and contacts for riding.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘How much do you spend on sunglasses?’ is closed to new replies.