Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • How much do you spend a week on food?
  • toby1

£90-£100 a week at Tesco for 2 adults. But these days that includes alcoholic beverages, home stuff (wife loves candles) as well as toiletries, massive tescos sells just about everything!

We do eat quite a lot of meat, but we cook must things from scratch. I just like food, lots of food!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Not 100% sure but I’d guess somewhere around £80-90 per week for one person

chewkw
    Free Member

£30 to £35 per week including junk food. 😛

doris5000

i reckon £75 a week between the two of us. Lunches at work add another £15ish. Booze adds a bit more again!

the £20 a week thing is easily doable (for one) though – did this for years while skint. Sometimes used to manage on £10. You just have to substitute out a lot of meat and cheese etc…

smell_it
    Free Member

Tend to grab at least one meal a day in a greasy spoon/ cob shop or fancy cafe something which combines breakfast and lunch, so that can be anything from about £4-12, then about £10-20 a day in home food (fresh meat or fish, veggies and sundries) and I tend to graze on fruit from waking to sleeping. Add booze to that, and nights out booze and weekend eating, I really dread to think.

mark d
    Free Member

How do i bookmark this??? Food for thought

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm I’d say £60-90 (I’m single and fat :p ), not including alcohol (but I don’t actually drink much anyhow), variance largely depends on number of takeaways/snacks. Yes, I need to sort myself out…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Family of 4, our weekly shop is about £100 so probably £80 food, plus a wee midweek topup £20 or so.

lunge

2 adults, £75 ish each week in Aldi but that includes cleaning stuff, toiletries and a few beers, maybe add £15 for stuff bought at work. I could easily get that down to £50 if needed and less if pushed. Like many of the above, almost everything is cooked from scratch.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm I’d say £60-90 (I’m single and fat :p ), not including alcohol (but I don’t actually drink much anyhow), variance largely depends on number of takeaways/snacks. Yes, I need to sort myself out…

If you can afford it then I wouldn’t worry. Unless your health is being affected.

Could swap a donner for a fiver in Shelter’s pocket every now and again maybe. But that’s just me being a sanctimonious prick.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We are arouNd the 40 a week in Aldi

Occasionally it’s a 50 if we need some cleaning products

We do bulk buy once a year at Costco of toilet paper /dishwasher tabs and shit like that though

As above most meals cooked from basics.

When I’m at work it’s about 50 dollars a week to feed just me…..but foods pricy there and limited options. Mostly it’s porridge /dried fruit/dried milk for breakfast . 2 cheese and ham toasties and a yogurt for lunch and then bbq chicken breast or steak with BBQ sweet potato or normal potato depending in season. The veg in the shops is mostly already rotten before you buy it 🙁

tomhoward

£150 a week plus, between 2 of us but that includes all supermarket shopping at costco/Morrison’s (usually). Rarely buy booze, but industrial quantities of pop, which Costco is good for.

The plus is takeaways/eating out once or twice a week and mrsTHtobes lunches, as I’ve no idea what she has…

Food seems to fall through me though, and I have no need or desire to change :mrgreen:

trailwagger
    Free Member

Family of four. Key to keeping it under control is online shopping. Plan meals for the week and only buy what you need, never take the kids to the supermarket. Average around £80 a week.

steel4real
    Free Member

Just me – out of work through choice currently so tight budget & not eligeable for benefits. Around £25 per week, max 30.

As I have time on my hands tend to do 1 trip a week to Home Bargains & Lidl. But can walk to Tesco. If I buy beer it’s the £3.25 for 10 25cl bottles. Also cook 4 – 5 main meals from scratch. Only buy branded favourites if on offer etc.

When working probably spent £40 – 45, but that included a works canteen lunch and mainly convenience food, ‘proper’ beer & cider and shopping at Sainsbury & Tesco.

jolmes
    Free Member

2 adults 1 baby. If i go shopping without the mrs £40-45 per week, past 4 weeks the mrs has been going on her own in the day time, she manages to spend £60-75 on the same stuff…

Daffy

£150 for a family of four including toiletries and cleaning stuff. Wine is bought separately once a quarter unless it’s to go in the food.

johndoh
    Free Member

Family of four and we budget for £100 a week excluding alcohol. That includes food for packed lunches as our girls don’t do school dinners.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I shop nearly every day and it seems to be about £7-£10 in Waitrose/Sainsbury’s each time but there’s enough to cook from for several days in fridge/freezer as I’ll cook and freeze half. But then I could spend a weeks worth in a day if I decide to buy a piece of meat from the butchers, bottle of Barolo and some overpriced organic artisan produce with mud still on it to cook at the weekend with the GF.
    I dont buy much chav food or crisps/fizzy pop/frozen pizzas so there are whole supermarket isles I don’t go down, I’m sure that stuff costs more than proper food.

Food is cheap now compared to the percentage of income that was going on it 30 years ago.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

*Awaits TJ to tell us he spends £2.71p a week, and that we’re all doing it wrong*

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m sure that stuff costs more than proper food

Well I bet you are just the bundle of fun at parties aren’t you?

theboatman
    Free Member

About £100-120 for 2 adults, a 7 and 17 year old for food and domestic stuff. This doesn’t include booze, or eating out and work food for me and Mrs B. Mix of mainly fresh food and some ready meal/ processed type food as 3 of us work regular evening’s, nights and weekends. So family meals aren’t always possible, although someone always eats with our youngest. If we all available for a meal, we tend to eat out as to make more of the time, and this can be anything from £40-100 and would about once a week. Probably fund about £25 a week in food to eldest daughter at uni about 30 miles away, and will feed her out to.

We probably could reduce some of this, but can’t really be arsed, as work patterns make stuff a hassle and planning meals difficult as work is unpredictable. In fairness, we eat a good balanced diet, waste next to nothing, all enjoy our food and all of us are active and not fat. So money well spent to me.

grenosteve
    Free Member

We spend around £60 a week at the supermarket, then I spend between £10 and £12 Monday lunch time to get what I need for the week at work. Them we may have a takeaway at the weekend, so add another £20.

So about £90 between two of us.

We then spend around £20 a week on the cats food!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well I bet you are just the bundle of fun at parties aren’t you?

Yeah I just stand and stare at the bowls of Wotsits and twiglets thinking WTF?

elzorillo
    Free Member

When the kids were home we’d spend prob £200 per week.. Now it’s just the wife and me, we spend very little. Maybe £50-60

brassneck

£80-90 in Aldi, plus probably 40 ish on top ups (Quorn bits) / extras (I buy a curry + pud on a Friday from Waitrose for a treat). Family of 5 but the boys keep eating more and more and more…
    Don’t really buy much booze, Mrs B take up the slack with her coven, doing their bit to keep rural pubs in business.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

100ish family of four plus eat out once a week plus lunches, so loads probably. One of the few things worth spending a bit on though innit.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

70 for two including cleaning and paper rolls. Less if need to put extra fuel in the car.

Cook from scratch mostly*. Chips once a week.

*one pot usually does two meals but small fridge makes storage more difficult in summer months. Autumn/Winter is cheaper. Except for fuel bills of course. So I suppose it averages out.

Bumper raspberry crop this year BTW, still picking them off the canes last night.

FuzzyWuzzy

Eat Well For Less is a decent watch I find, some eye-openers there on people’s food spending habits (although I guess it’s all based around higher than average spenders). I’m always amazed by the parent that cooks 2 or 3 different evening meals as the kids are fussy, hunger always used to be enough motivation when I was a kid that I would eat what I was given (although I would sometimes revert to fake vomiting noises when broccoli or sprouts were served).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fuzzy yes I am sure they pick the high spenders with easily identified bad habits. As a result of the programme we have switched Lurpack for Tesco’s own – half the price. You can tell side by side which is which but once in a sandwich or on toast with jam you cannot. £1.50 a week saved …

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m always amazed by the parent that cooks 2 or 3 different evening meals as the kids are fussy

The future is an idiot.

Went to get a squash and some mushrooms on Sunday. The chilled ‘ready prepared food’ section was two deep with young parents grabbing plastic-potted roast spuds, mash, ready-made cottage pies, other cookd veg and chickens prepared in foil trays. Ready-made gravy in pastic pouches.

The waste is mind-boggling. The expense too. Let alone the whole love-less, rushed, ‘grab and heat’ experience of ‘home-cooking’ that I was witnessing. It was Remembrance Sunday, I immediately remembered my Grandfather’s disbelief and distaste for the ‘townies’. 😆

makkag
    Free Member

25/30 a week on just food tops maybe a bit more if i take my son out for a treat – single guy 3 meals a week on 2.5 yo – batch cook a lot .. Big Big Pots of Veggie curry/ Chili/Spag Bog/Thai Curry etc from fresh All lunches for office pre prepped and frozen if out on business its expended so get my takeaway/eat out fix from there.

Big mortgage on three bed house and debts to repay have changed my food habits massively

hooli

Ours is about £150 a week for a family of 4 but that is all in, cleaning products, toiletries, snacks for kids lunch boxes, food for 2 adults work lunches and a bit of wine/beer.

It seems a lot to me and I have looked at it a few times to see how we can cut it down but we already shop at Aldi/Lidl, make almost everything from scratch etc. I came to the conclusion that that’s just how much stuff costs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I seem to spend between £80 and £120 a week in the supermarket for just me.

Includes a couple of bottles of wine and household stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The waste is mind-boggling

Yep. I feel guilty if I have to throw any food away which usually only happens with the end of a loaf of bread.
    It’s not difficult to think of something to cook with what’s to hand or to just add something else.
    I guess that’s easier when you shop every couple of days whereas a big weekly shop means stuff hangs around for longer and is more likely to spoil.

benp1

Good thread this, very interesting

I’ve downloaded a year’s worth of statements from Natwest and created a little spreadsheet to work it out

There are no easy categories to weed it out so I had to check spending across most of the supermarkets we shop in, it’s quite blunt as stuff some places might have been clothes rather than shopping

Our supermarket shopping averages out at £430 per month for 2 adults and 2 kids. School lunches are currently free (KS1) and that doesn’t include my lunches at work. But it does include stuff like toilet rolls and washing powder

Dog food on top of that. Eating out on top of that too

There is some month to month volatility, but I guess that might be due to stocking up on stuff one month, and then not needing it the next

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I guess that’s easier when you shop every couple of days whereas a big weekly shop means stuff hangs around for longer and is more likely to spoil.

Yep. I feel somewhat sorry for those that have to drive two-three miles to the supermarket so can only manage it once a week. Not even being completely facetious for a change. In order to pay the extra grocery bills and car-costs they’re probably at the coal face for 60-80 hrs a week, leaving no time for shopping for food let alone leisure-time for cooking. I try to cycle at night to a supermarket to get next day’s (or three day’s) food. This is handy as you get deals and have the time to choose loose produce. I can tailor my workout/time taken with such a large choice of supermarkets within 20 mile radius. (Not having kids at home or a social life helps here!)

Things have changed massively in the last 40 years. When a schoolboy our mum used to send me running or cycling half a mile up to the village greengrocers or co-op (or less to corner shop) shop for a loaf or ‘6 nice mushrooms’, or ‘three good potatoes and a few carrots’. Or the butcher. ‘Half a pound of mince’. It would get cooked that night or the next day. I suspect such practices are an anomaly in similar (suburban) areas today

Now there is a Lidl where all that stuff used to be. And the corner shop is gone.

But we never wasted anything, AFAIR. The dustbin never got really full even once a week. Now you’d be marked as a ”hipster’ or ‘dirt-poor’ for carrying on like that nowadays

For many I guess waste/ultra-convenience is a symbol of plenty/success? The consumer-class?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mean while when I used to shop in the way you describe I would spend more and waste more.

Moving away from a town means I now plan and waste very little.

Tucking into carrot and sweet potatoe soup the wife made on Sunday with a side of whole meal loaf I baked on Sunday evening

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

A lot of these replies begin with something like ‘I think it’s about’ …

I’d like to ask the same question, but only among people who have consciously recorded and added up spending, over the course of say 6 months.

When I did that, the *actual* monthly figures gave me a big fright… (Waitrose shopping, topping-up and impulse ‘treats’ come to an awful lot of money.)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mean while when I used to shop in the way you describe I would spend more and waste more.

How can one waste 6 mushrooms and 3 potatoes? You juggled them on the journey home and dropped them, dintcha? Ya wee tinker.. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well you end up shopping hungry and then over buy.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘How much do you spend a week on food?’ is closed to new replies.