• This topic has 65 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • How much do you pay in cafe's on a ride?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or anywhere else for that matter.

Did a ride on Saturday with Ton off here & stopped at a little general dealers near Ripon that did coffee & snacks & has 2 seats outside.
    We got 2 coffees, 2 chicken & bacon butties (good size too) 2 pork pies which were well decent & a can of Coke.

£11.80. Which I thought was pretty good & I’ve paid a lot more for less in the past.

Wonder what the average is?

tomhoward

However much it takes to satiate my hunger. Could be a quid, could be thirty.

nickdavies

Normally I get change from a fiver for a coffee and bacon roll on the sunday club run.

£7.90 for a bacon roll and a filter coffee at one place… I’ve never been there again!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve even gone in a cafe after a ride. Usually have some red bull in the van and that’s it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve even gone in a cafe after a ride.

I don’t normally but when your’e out with Ton….well it’s requisite. Either that or 4 pints in a country pub. 😯

PJ266
    Free Member

Too much now, Generally around 5 quid for coffee and a slice of cake. I guess thats Hampshire for you.

In West Wales it was around 2.50 for the same.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Coffee is usually £2:50 a cake £3:50
    Not bothered about the cost as long as it’s decent home made food and proper coffee.

cogglepin

Went to the old post office in Hawnby NY Moors a few weeks back and two of us had scampi and chips with salad, a pot of coffee and a bloody massive pot of tea. 12 quid.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Bacon roll at Swinley is £3.50. Pretty generous with the bacon mind

Coffee is £2, I think

It is a visitor centre with captive market, so not too bad

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went to the old post office in Hawnby NY Moors a few weeks back and two of us had scampi and chips with salad, a pot of coffee and a bloody massive pot of tea. 12 quid.

*makes notes & plans ride from Sutton Bank* 😆

km79
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve even gone in a cafe after a ride.

I don’t drink tea or coffee and generally take my own piece with me so me neither.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Anywhere between £2.20 and £10.
    If the stop is somewhere around lunchtime and its an easy ride then i’ll have a bit more to eat.
    Saturday was £8.90 i think for macaroni cheese, garlic bread and a coffee.

mooman
    Free Member

Our fave cafe is just under £4 for a large coffee and cake …

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s normally 4 pints in the pub and a packet of crisps followed by a hypothermic hill busting climb home across the Downs.

And trying not to ride through Matts head after he falls off in front of you but your shivering so bad that steering is difficult !

RustySpanner

Usually about a five or six quid for coffee and cake?

Tried a ‘highly recommended’ caff in Hebden last week:
    £5.00 for thimbleful of hummus and two minute strips of pitta.
    Hmm.

whatgoesup

Best value are posh places, esp NT type cafes – a nice espresso, maybe some cake plus tap water for free. Lovely – maybe £3-7 per stop.

Absolute worst are emergency service station stops – £5 gets a bottle of water plus some jelly babies or similar. Grim.

daern
    Free Member

Tried a ‘highly recommended’ caff in Hebden last week:
    £5.00 for thimbleful of hummus and two minute strips of pitta.

Sounds like a veggy one to me. Did you ask for a bacon and sausage sandwich anyway? 🙂

FWIW, I don’t give any thought to post ride cafe costs as I’m usually so tired and hungry that I would give them my credit card in exchange for ham, egg and chips! I might tut a bit if it’s excessive, but I don’t ever remember walking out.

whatgoesup

Slight tangent, but the middle back pocket of my endura jersey is precisely sized for a round of bacon & egg sandwiches. Great for the long game i.e order two – eat one on the spot stash one for later (discovered on a 130 mile ride to be fair}

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pork and leek slice and cuppa from Peaslake Village Store – bargain!!

spacemonkey

Pork and leek slice and cuppa from Peaslake Village Store

Aye. And a cheese straw, or a pasty, perhaps even their cheese n onion pasty, or maybe their amazeballs lamb shoulder n mint bap. And their Bakewell is the best thing ever.

andytherocketeer

Whatever a coffee or beer and cake costs. Can’t say I specifically note the price unless it’s a rip off or bargain.
    Although staying in a cake hotel for a week’s MTBing was dangerous.

alextemper
    Free Member

Peaslake store chilli beef sausage roll for the win. If you ever get lucky and they have the chocolate orange banana bread on the go, well worth it.

RustySpanner

daern – Member
    Sounds like a veggy one to me. Did you ask for a bacon and sausage sandwich anyway?

No, I couldn’t speak for a while after getting the bill.
    I’ll mooch on down the road and try somewhere else next time.
    My favourite cafe in Hebbers (the one opposite the Watergate that did the excellent home made plate pies) disappeared after the last flood.

Used to be JJ’s in Burnley for sausage and bacon barms, but they’re £3.50 now! Still a fine sandwich, but possibly a trifle pricey these days….

ton

i call in a cafe on the way to work, whilst cycling in.
    bacon or sausage butty and a cuppa. £1.50

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was pretending that I was disciplined enough not to have the cheese straw as well – but go on then, you got me!!

Must try the chilli sausage roll

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Zetland caff in Redcar (not really on a cycle route) used to do a breakfast for £cheap. it was like an ‘oh my god, I’m in heaven’ moment. 😆

daern
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that’s a bargain!

ads678

Which cafe is this? I might change my commute route?

Bez

I’d say on average I pay roughly TAKE MY MONEY I’M HUNGRY

tonyg2003

Peaslake store is an oasis of quality and value, especially compared to our usual road bike meet up in South West London burbs which is a swanky roadie based cafe with £5k made to measure carbon frames on the wall and reassuringly expensive expressos.

richmars

Kitty used to be £10, but now it’s £20 plus £5/£10 top up at the last pub.

ton

Which cafe is this? I might change my commute route?

bottom of wellington road, in front of the gas tanks. next to the tile warehouse.

vincienup
    Free Member

Best value are posh places, esp NT type cafes – a nice espresso, maybe some cake plus tap water for free. Lovely – maybe £3-7 per stop.

Absolute worst are emergency service station stops – £5 gets a bottle of water plus some jelly babies or similar. Grim.

😯

Which service stations do you stop at!!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

bottom of wellington road, in front of the gas tanks. next to the tile warehouse.

Sounds rather insalubrious 😐

tomd
    Free Member

£3 for coffee and bacon roll at local cafe. They do 20% of for bike club members. It’s definitely a quantity over quality sort of place though, the cakes look like they’re chopped with an axe.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve never ever stopped at a cafe on a bike ride

daern
    Free Member

I’ve never ever stopped at a cafe on a bike ride

Each to their own, but I enjoy the social aspect of cafe stop when out with friends. That said, I do prefer it towards the end of a ride, because it always seems harder to get going again when stuffed with bacon and cake.

Annoyingly, a favourite (Toby’s at Apperley Bridge) closed for good last weekend. I didn’t use it often (because it was bloody expensive!) but it was a nice spot to chill by the canal. It always seemed busy too, so I was really surprised to hear it was closing, but apparently the owners want to start a dog walking business instead. Prrft.

Personal favourite for me is the cafe at How Stean Gorge at the top end of Nidderdale. It’s strange, but nearly every ride I do in that area seems to manage to go past it 🙂

monkeyboyjc

My shop would get you a bacon bap (£2.50) a coffee (flat white £1.50) and a chocolate bar of some sort with change out of a fiver – problem is we are off the main road in a village you need to take a 2min detour through so we only get a few roadies who know we are here.

Personally I take food with me and an additional £5 (waterproof) note if I’m with a group.

ads678

Nice one ton, bit out of my way for an on the way to work stop, but if I’m going past that way I’ll check it out.

FOG

For some reason I only do cafes on road rides, mainly because I usually mtb on my own. Standard roadie stop is tea and a toasted teacake at about £3-4

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay in cafe's on a ride?’ is closed to new replies.