Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • How much do you pay for your gym membership?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I was a member of fitness first approx £35 didn’t use it enough as I only realistically go at lunch hours and it was too far from work. There is a DL 5 mins walk from work but I just can’t justify £70odd a month…

simonbowns
    Free Member

£30 a month, small village gym, includes classes and time working out plans with trainers.

2-3 times a week, well worth it for me

kimbers

currently 30 quid a month for gym and pool in chelsea

about to get better gym and pool at UCL for £20 a month when i move jobs 🙂

stuartie_c
    Free Member

BMF

£31 a month for up to 4 sessions a week (I manage 2-3).

Minimal overheads – outside in all weathers.

Gordy
    Free Member

Paid yearly but would have worked out at something like £125 a month for a family membership. Expires on Friday.

Family has not attended as promised. Will wait and see how long before they notice their cards have stopped working!

sofatester
    Free Member

All the fancy gym equipment isn’t what makes you better, Rocky proved that against that giant Russian… Eye of the tiger guys, get out and carry a log around a park use steroids.

FTFY

edhornby

£2 every 4 weeks, gotta love being a coop staff member

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

the gym group – bristol – £10.99 per month

pretty good open 24hrs but pretty busy.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

That’s crazy money. Duncan Hammertimes is only £40 a month and is really well equipped. Have got a roider gym a few doors down from me that do £15 off peak but it’s the home gym for me.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Pay £126 joint membership a month, including kids at a health and country club, does’nt include the golf though. Massive gym, 20m pool, sauna, steam room, jaccuzi, more classes to shake a stick at, 2 bars childrens play area outside, wii, xbox area, creche ( which the wife loves £3.50ph)has been a godsend. Been members for about 10 years now, probably use it 2-3 times a week the misses goes every day, so think we get value for money. Open 6am til 10.30 most days.

sadexpunk

bought a decent squat rack and bench for my garage, and a pull up bar, thats all i need. i can now workout whenever i like and at no cost.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I know haemorrhaging money round these here parts isn’t out of the ordinary, but some of the prices being paid to burn a few calories have actually shocked me.

warton
    Free Member

I used to be a member of JJB in Newcastle. 35 quid a month, but my employers paid half of that. the gym was over subscribed, so you had to stand around half the time you were there, waiting for steroid abusing doormen to finish on the machines. The small pool was a joke. 5 strokes and you’d be at the other end, thats if there wasn’t an OAP aqua aerobics sessions in there.

cancelled membership. cycle to work, run twice a week, use a resistance band along with press ups sit ups, dips on stairs etc. I really have no need for a gym.

HermanShake
    Free Member

£80 per year to paddle at my club (kayaking) plus the bikes and a vegetarian diet mean I don’t have a need, or time for the gym. Oh and I climb a bit too.

I strongly believe in complimentary activities instead of simulated machinery. Kayaking and MTB go very well together!

scarmtb
    Free Member

Wow, £75×13 (paid 4 weekly) is £975 thats a fair few bits for your bike or like sadexpunk says a decent squat rack/smith machine and preacher bench and you dont need all the other crap they fill “hi-tech” gyms with

flip
    Free Member

Blimey, I just use dumbbells at home, if you saved up a years membership you could get yourself a pretty decent home setup (providing you have the room, of course)

+1

Always makes me giggle when i run past a posh gym by me, i’m out in the fresh air and the peeps inside are doing the same thing on a treadmill and paying for it…

thomthumb
    Free Member

just gone up to £12/ month. but its salary sacrifice so comes down to closer to £10 with the added tax savings 🙂

got a pool and pretty well stocked gym too. only classes that i have no interest are included though.

staralfur
    Free Member

£34 per month, all classes included, as many as you can handle. Im there on average 5 days per week.

The last gym I was at was £16 per month, it’s down to £12 and is always HEAVING.

MoreCashThanDash

I used to pay £40 a month and train 3-4 times a week

Then we had a kid, and decided we couldn’t afford the gym fees or the time, so I dug out my old Scott Impulse for exercise purposes.

In the 7 years since, this money/time saving scheme has involved

Guess RB1 (since sold)
    Merlin Malt 1 (since sold)
    Ribble winter bike (since sold)
    Ribble winter frame in a smaller size (since sold)
    Cotic Soul (now on it’s second build)
    Santa Cruz Blur frame (since sold)
    Spesh Roubaix
    Ribble winter bike with compact geometry (since sold)
    Kona Dew

Plus assorted accessories, spare parts and clothing

Gym membership was a bargain……

And I’m riding about 10-12 hors a week, most of it commuting though

fi
    Free Member

I’m with Bannatynes and it’s about £45 a month. I go to about 6 classes a week (spinning/weights/core stability) so rarely need to use the cardio/weight machines. I reckon it’s worth the money as I would rather do an hour long spin class followed by an hour long weights class that get out and ride if it’s dark and pouring with rain outside.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

About £48 a month for Virgin Active for me.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Mines £80’a month but my work pay half of that. Thats cheap to what my personal trainer costs!!! Still get out and ride and run inthe mornings before work mind you.

Jamie
    Free Member

Always makes me giggle when i run past a posh gym by me, i’m out in the fresh air and the peeps inside are doing the same thing on a treadmill and paying for it…

Thing is, they might just be doing a warm up/down after doing a weight session. They might not feel safe running in the streets or have injuries that only allows short runs on a treadmill….or a myriad of other reasons that has brought them to the gym.

The bottom line is at least they have got off their ass, and those of us who have decided to take a different route to fitness shouldn’t act aloof or think we are somehow better.

xcgb
    Free Member

they put the fish and chips in the sauna to keep them warm while they have a swim and then eat them on the patio furniture at the side of the pool once they done playing in the water.

Pure genius!

yoshimi

Crispo- you’re not the guy with a trek strapped to the top of your car early mornings are you?

Well, membership cancelled- the nice membership lady rang me up and said she’d looked at my activity and as I was always there early mornings only then I could go off peak for a bargaintastic £59 per month…. I declined.

Thing is, I do enjoy going, never bother with cardio although have recently as recovering from injury and couldn’t physically sit on the bike.

I think gyms do have a place, bit as I only really use the kettlebells and free weights and don’t use, pool, sauna etc just can’t justify £75.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Not sure I wanna post this, but my gym ‘should’ cost £133 a month (www.stokepark.com) plus £30 for the racquets membership (which the wife had). However, they’re a client of mine so I get a corporate deal.

Expensive, but do lots of business there so it pays for itself many times over.

Does make you an awful snob though – not happy in changing rooms now without a deep pile carpet!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for your gym membership?’ is closed to new replies.