Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • How much do you pay for your gym membership?
  • yoshimi

Just had a letter from David Lloyd, gym membership increasing to £75 per month – I think this must be the most expensive gym in the area but also the only one that I can realistically get to before work.

I know others work with are at Virgin and pay around £45-50; seems reasonable if you’re going 3 times a week.

£75 seems a hell of a lot to me – I’m paying £68 now but I think this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Got me wondering is this a lot and how much do others on here pay?

binners

Whats a gym?

philconsequence
    Free Member

34squid a month, doesnt open early in the mornings though which is when i’m most motivated to exercise

peterfile
    Free Member

David Lloyd are expensive and, in my experience of 3 of their clubs, declining in quality.

I was paying around £70 for my membership.

I’ve joined a 5* spa which is about 20 yards from my house. Realised that I get enough exercise on the mountain, don’t need to waste time in a gym, much better to spend long winter nights relaxing in a spa 🙂

To put it in perspective, I pay £125 for the spa. So £70 for all the facilities you get at DL isn’t too bad.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

Wow, just wow. We’ve stopped now but me and my partner were paying £58/month for BOTH of us. (EDIT- This included use of pool/sauna/steam room too.) I wouldn’t want to pay more than £40 unless I was there 5+ times/week

In my opinion you are already being robbed and they are seeing how far they can push you

Just my opinion mind
    Matt

uplink
    Free Member

When I used to, £31/month local authority place
    Open from 06:30 till 21:00

yoshimi

Its a place that allows me to eat sausage and bacon muffins ‘every’ morning if I give them an hours worth of sweat 3 times a week

allthepies
    Free Member

£36 / month (min 3 month contract then no tie in)

Go three times per week at lunchtime. Certainly wouldn’t pay any more than that.

trickydisco
    Free Member

£20.43 a month with all classes free (this is a university gym)

yoshimi

Peterfile – Definitely declining in quality!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

£25 a month. Can use any of 5 gyms in Sheffield including Ponds Forge (international swimming complex) but the most convenient for me is the EIS (English Institute of Sport) one, where I occasionally see Jess Ennis.

I call that good value

yoshimi

I’m no snob so would happy to go to one of the ‘dive’ gyms close to home but none seem to open before 7am:(

binners

That sounds like a fair exchange yoshimi 🙂

I remember Jeremy Vine doing a programme on gym membership costs. He worked out that every visit to the gym cost him almost £300

uplink
    Free Member

I can do PAYG too – £3.20/session

scary_carey
    Free Member

£9.99 a month 😀 I joined the local Pure Gym before it opened and got it at that rate for 12 month
    I use it 4 times a week and for the money you cant knock it.

yoshimi

I wouldn’t blink an eyer at £40 a month, would want something pretty good at £50 a month but now £75……….I’m outraged!

@ uplink, allthepies, tricky and ourkids – wish I lived near you

And its Chorley not Chelsea FFS

peterfile
    Free Member

this is a true story about a local authority gym in the East end of Glasgow which my friend is a member of……..

every night after having a run, my friend goes to the centre to use the sauna/steam room and pool.

every night a group of four or five middle aged women turn up, carrying a couple of plastic bags full of fish and chips from the local chippy.

they put the fish and chips in the sauna to keep them warm while they have a swim and then eat them on the patio furniture at the side of the pool once they done playing in the water.

no one ever complains, no one ever tells them off.

god bless glasgow, it’s tolerance of everything and the commendable ingenuity of it’s inhabitants 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

@ uplink, allthepies, tricky and ourkids – wish I lived near you

What’s amazing is I get other benefits being a member of a university gym 😉

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Apparently I have to go to the Hillsborough one for that 😐

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

£22 a month, local authority, in that I get gym, ALL classes, swimming, and racket sports at certain times. I probably got 5-6 times a week so most defiantely get my monies worth! Now friendly with staff there i’ve begun training with one of the female gym instructors who is an ex County swimmer! She has got my 400m time down by 2 minutes and all for free as she now has someone to train with! There is no WAY I would pay more than £40. Oh there is a sauna, steam room and small jacuzzi that I’ve used once.. maybe twice (tonight) as need a wee bit of relaxation after this evenings recovery swim. For £75 I would tell them to go whistle!!!

yoshimi

After a bit of research, it seems an independent gym in the town centre (less than a mile from my house) has just has just re-opened, had a £300k make-over and does 24hr access all at £28 per month – so long David Lloyd and your overweight, judgmental, middle-class tennis mums 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wow look how much more PER month you have to spend on bike bits!

yoshimi

I will miss the pool tho, used to look nice as I sat in the jacuzzi

yoshimi

Munque – I think this is even cheaper than the local leisure centre, the y do have a pool but don’t open till 7am which isn’t much use

Peterfile – I cant quite get the imagined smell of fish and chips in a sauna out of my brain now – yuk!

Taff
    Free Member

South Down College PAYG gym = free induction and £2 per visit.

yoshimi

In my opinion you are already being robbed and they are seeing how far they can push you

yep, this ^^^^

meehaja
    Free Member

I paid £30 a month for fitness first. It was good until the boxing coach left, then I couldn’t be bothered any more. Spent maybe £150 and built a home gym. Its just a bench, barbell, dumbbells, punch bag and a mat on the floor, but mixed with running and cycling to work I’m fitter than I’ve ever been.

momo

I pay £31 a month, gym is next door to my office so handy for post work session, I can also use any of their clubs outside of London as part of my membership, handy as they have another club 5 minutes from my girlfriends house.

MrsToast
    Free Member

£33 a month for LA Fitness. Really nice gym – fairly new machines in the cardio and weights areas, small but clean pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, squash courts and lots of classes. I think the chain can be a bit hit and miss though, some of their gyms are supposed to be horrible and cancelling membership can be a bit of a pain. Need to go more really, only tend to go once or twice a week.

neild4
    Free Member

200 quid a year, student, boo ya 😀

Jolsa

One of the reasons why I like running so much – no £75 fees to pay. Makes me laugh when I see a line of people on the treadmills in gyms.

All the fancy gym equipment isn’t what makes you better, Rocky proved that against that giant Russian… Eye of the tiger guys, get out and carry a log around a park.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Run to the gym, turn round and run back.

Think of the cost saving and fitness gain. 8)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

We pay £85 a month for a joint membership. It’s at a country club and spa less than a mile from our house. It’s really nice and very often not too busy, there is a really nice outdoor pool which we use everyday when it’s sunny. The gym equipment is new and the staff are chirpy and helpful.

Before that we were members of Hilton double tree at £40 a month but they kept increasing the price each month. It got to £50 and I said it’s too much. The facilities were new but never seemed clean, for that money I would expect it to be clean. I’ve been a member of University gyms and authority ones which were cheaper, I’d pay £50 a month for the gym I’m at now as it offers more than standard facilities and it’s all things we use regularly. What David Lloyd are charging I would tell them to eff off, loads of gyms about. I hear they are rubbish to work for too.

Northwind

£12 a month for unlimited use, can’t complain really. Wouldn’t pay much more. No pool or sauna or anything though.

crispo
    Free Member

Im a member at DL Chorley too.

When we looked at it we decided to go for at based on the fact it is less than 5 minutes from our house. We figured that even though its more expensive it works out price/visit cheaper as we use it so much.

If you go just to use the weights/treadmill it is a lot for that but when you take into account all the classes, the pool stuff and the way the gym staff personalise your workout to what you want to get out and will refresh it whenever you want it isnt too bad.

Plus when its proper minging weather in the winter spinning keeps me ticking over nicely! Guess what im saying is that im happy to spend what effectively the price of a couple nights out a month for that…..

tomsk01
    Free Member

Blimey, I just use dumbbells at home, if you saved up a years membership you could get yourself a pretty decent home setup (providing you have the room, of course)

aP
    Free Member

£800 a year for the smell of someone else’s sweat? If I wanted that I could just go to the corner shop. I assume the recession hasn’t bit yet.

footflaps

£55 / month – could drop it to about £45 if I signed back up for a contract – but can’t be bothered. Greens Cambridge.

Jamie
    Free Member

Was £30 a month, local council gym. Choice of 3 gyms, 2 pools, classes etc.

Quit now tho.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Spending between 50 to 100 a month on the bike, thats my gym. Swimming pool is attached to a deserted beach at the bottom of a cliff, open all hours (Atlantic Ocean).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for your gym membership?’ is closed to new replies.