Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • How much do you pay for car tyres?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

About £50 each fitted. Can’t remember what brand. I don’t drive fast enough to worry about extra grip!

I get about 15k before they go illegal

5lab

£20 fitted for partworns. normally get about 15k out of them on the front, 30k on the back

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Average £110/corner. Falken 452s. Reccomended by various people for my 3 series beemer. Bit noiser than the old Hankook Ventus V12s but better steering response (stiffer sidewall?) and no grip issues so far. I tend to run out of balls/skill before the car runs out of grip.

steviedog
    Free Member

Dealers wanted around £150 each for the runflats replacement. Went for non runflats at £60 each and a can of tyre gunk in the boot.

Tend to go though them quick quickly up front on a Mini Cooper S.

meesterbond

Had to replace one on our 5 Series last week – £521. Dunlop Maxx GT Sport in a bizarrely lowest of the low profile runflat made from rubber from a single tree deep the rain forests of Borneo or something.

Jaw hit floor when the missus told me how much they charged…

£75 a corner plus vat fitted for 245/70/R16′ Bridgestone Dueller HT’s on my 4×4 pick up. Got over 40k out of the last set and all 4 corners wear at the same rate. Mate’s in the trade though.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

52 reg fiesta 2 x brand new budget Mohawk tyres £72 with tracking.

i drive like an old man so go for cheap everytime, i guess if i drove like a **** in the wet i’d be dead with them fitted.

if i had a nice flash shit off a shovel car i’d fit a premium brand mind or if i was a rep and did loads of miles.

adam1330
    Free Member

Around £75 a corner for Yokohama A021R on my Westfield, normally use around 1.5 sets a year doing 5000 miles. Something cheap for the tin top.

andrewh
    Free Member

98 Mondeo.
    £40 for a tyre, fitted and included wheel balance, tracking checked etc.
    Cheaper than a Nobby Nic!

mmb
    Free Member

£20 a tyre part worn from local mot garage, pirelli, michelin etc. saab 9000 cse.

parkesie
    Free Member

£120 for 4 toyo proxes t1’s for my civic 195 50 15

I go for grip and a quiet drive.

Chucked 2 budget ditch finders on to get it through mot when i bought it. Changed all of them 2 weeks later to the toyos as it was just trying to kill me.

timber

Gone back to Avon ZV5, pick them up for around £55ea. when on offer. Not the greatest wear but grip when wet, on muck and all the way down to the canvas. Had some Falken ZE912, fine, but just lacking a bit of grip after the Avons. Rears wearing well, but will probably need replacing prematurely after rear wheel bearing failure rubbing the shoulder down.

Something decent, asymettrical and not paying over the odds for a name.

Mostly abused, diesel mondeo estate, showing up somewhat more sporty things down country lanes and across the firing ranges.

Chris.H
    Free Member

Land Rover Freelander 2, £155 each for Goodyear Wranglers AT. First set lasted 35k miles! Really good in mud & snow, even with 2mm tread left.

grahamt1980

Octavia – Gone for economy with grip for the summer – 4 Pirelli P7 cinturato’s at £340 for 4.
    In the winter grip all the way with Conti Winter Contacts, again about £350.
    My view is they are the only things that are physically attached to the road so why be cheap

br
    Free Member

Mine = 535i uses Avon ZV5 and gets 14k for £110 a corner fitted

Wife = Freelander uses Michelin’s and gets 45k for £160 a corner fitted

£20 a tyre part worn from local mot garage, pirelli, michelin etc. saab 9000 cse.

I wouldn’t put someone elses part-worn on my MTB…

Rich
    Free Member

I try and buy the best tyre for wet weather grip and braking, as that is where a rubbish tyre will really let you down.

Currently liking Uniroyal Rainsport 2’s, around £70 a corner fitted for 225/55/16’s.

Toyota Verso 2.2 D4D.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I can vouch after a quick spin tonight that the avon zv5’s are good but best waiting till they’re warm for definate!! 😕

john_drummer
    Free Member

205/55s on a 17in wheel, Pirelli P6000s about £120 a corner. Saab 9-3 1.9TiD sportwagon.
    I replaced the front pair about a year ago, so that would be about 15k miles ago, still going strong.
    rear pair haven’t been changed as far as I remember since I bought the car 30k miles ago

PePPeR

I have a Kia Sedona people carrier and tend to use conti winter contacts all the time as they give me amazing grip (who needs a 4×4?) and don’t wear too quickly in the warm weather either!

timc
    Free Member

price sadly…

18″ RFT costing me about £250 per corner! 🙁

timc
    Free Member

meesterbond – Member
    Had to replace one on our 5 Series last week – £521. Dunlop Maxx GT Sport in a bizarrely lowest of the low profile runflat made from rubber from a single tree deep the rain forests of Borneo or something.

Jaw hit floor when the missus told me how much they charged…

I now feel so much better!

Wozza
    Free Member

330d Tourer, 17″ Conti Sport contacts. I think they’re about £200ish a pair. It came with budget tyres on the rears when I bought it… drifted like you wouldn’t believe, swapped them for some contis and the grip is way better.

Am I the only person who when asked “what tyres would you like?” replied with “well, I like contis on my bike so lets just go with that”?

stucol
    Free Member

Currently running Goodyear NCT5’s on my 206. Perfectly happy with them.

Previously had Uniroyal rainmasters which were (no surprise) very good in the wet.

However, in between those i had a full set of Yokohama 510’s.

They were without doubt, the worst wet weather tyres i have ever owned.

In fact, not even wet weather, but the slightest hint of moisture and they would break away without warning. Utterly terrible tyres.

Made the big mistake of only replacing the front set with the Goodyears and got the back end snapping out on me at a very sedate pace. Got another pair of Goodyears for the rear the very next weekend.

Never again will i trust Yokos. (even though i know their motorsport related tyres are good).

4ndyB
    Free Member

£75-£90 a corner

Usually Toyo Proxes T1-R(205/45/16)

Because I like to have a decent tyre that has plenty of grip and I don’t do more than 5-6000 miles a year so a pair on the front lasts about 2 years.

Oh, they look cool too with their tread pattern 😉

Northwind

£65 a corner for Kumho Soluses of some sort, on a rattly diesel Focus. Though after a few scary incidents I think I’ve found the edge of the traction, next time I might put something a bit stickier on the front. But they’ve been good, decent wet and mud traction, worked in the snow, seem to last too. One of them’s got about a million rim weights on it so I guess either my wheel is way out of balance or the tyre is.

(PS always makes me smile when people say “Toyo Proxes”, most Toyos are branded up Proxes now so it’s almost the same as just saying “Toyo”).

coffeeking
    Free Member

I always shop for wet grip at a reasonable price.

306: Rainsport IIs, about £40 quid a corner. Easy to pothole damage though. Last about 15K miles up front, 30 at the back.
    Celica GT4: Federal SS595s, about £75 a corner, last about 10-12K up front, 15 at the rear (tis 4wd). Tried some continentals at £120 quid a corner but they had shockingly bad grip and wore out faster too, not sure how!

Never met a tyre that gripped AND lasted, or gripped AND gave better economy, and I’ve tried a few.

midwales
    Free Member

bmw 530d

all four tyres wore out at the same time. over £200 per corner for the run flats. swapped to normal tyres and paid £90 each, better handling afterwards.

NZCol

erm $700 a corner last set and that was quite heavily reduced. Seems too many track days dealt to the last ones a bit quicker than I had anticipated 😆

simon_g

Last set was Kumho Ecsta KU31s at £289 fitted, via Blackcircles, so about £72 each (17″ size). This is for a current-shape Civic.

I tend to google tyre names, work through and go for the cheapest that’s had positive reviews. Sometimes look at the Autocar/Autoexpress/Evo tyre tests. If they’re quiet then all the better.

It amazes me that some people will shun brands entirely when all of them have both good and bad tyres in their ranges – the mainstream well-known ones make some awful tyres (Pirelli P6000s anyone?) and Avon / Falken / Kumho / Toyo make some great ones.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

why would anyone contemplate part worns?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah part-worn is a budgeting step too far for me, kinda like Tesco smart value lemonade, although which one is potentially more lethal I’m not sure.

Run-flats do seem a rip-off to me, never used them but I’d certainly not replace with RF’s if my car came with them.

And £500+ for a single tyre?! Are you running on 20’s or 21’s? I guess if they made a niche size with only a couple of compatible tyres they’ve got you by the danglies.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

300 for the rears and 250 for the fronts

Mercedes CL600

Not much choice for tyres that fit so end up with a branded name from Micheldever Tyres. I think I was quotes around 500 per tyre from the local quikfit

trail_rat
    Free Member

i ran part worns on my first car …. 1.8 diesel fiesta

used to get tires and rims for 15 quid – just had to take them off the car in the scrap yard my self … just went for the good looking tires on the non crashed cars …. being a ford fiesta there were plenty that had just died or rusted to death !

did 100k in that car !

loco_pollo
    Free Member

£1200 a set for 19″ bridgestone runflats. They last 25000 miles though and the peace of mind if the wife is out with the baby and has a puncture is totally worth the cost and ride degradation.

kiwijohn

06 Fiesta
    Toyo Proxe T1R 205/45/16 $225Au each.
    $10 cheaper than the standard 195 🙄 Awesome grip & cheaper than the Continentals it came on.

molgrips
    Free Member

1200 a set for 19″ bridgestone runflats

😯

My tires cost a third that, will last twice as long and Mrs Grips knows how to change a wheel…

loco_pollo
    Free Member

My tires cost a third that, will last twice as long and Mrs Grips knows how to change a wheel…

So your car is shit and you’re quite happy for your wife to change a tyre herself. It would be boring if we were all the same I guess.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I buy for fuel economy/low rolling resistance every time. Well worth it. Grip is irellevant to me on normal roads. Using Michlin Energy Savers. ££ but worth it.

I’m always rather surprised that MTB riders who have first hand painful experience of high tyre drag from the stuff we normally use, have any doubts at all when it comes to treating their vehicle to the lowest resistance tyres.

If you were on a road bike you’d want it. No..?

Daffy

The BMW 330ci – £200 for rear and about £120 for the front (each)
    The Z4MC £320 per rear and about £150-180 per front,
    The 306 HDI….well according to the invoice that came with the car…£55+vat for all 4!

molgrips
    Free Member

So your car is shit

What’s that got to do with the price of its tyres? And why on earth would I not want my wife to change a tyre?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for car tyres?’ is closed to new replies.