Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • How much do you pay for a haircut?
  • edhornby

£7 middle of manchester, can go at lunchtime and most importantly all of the cutters in the shop are equally good so I don’t have to have the feeling of awkwardness in trying to socially engineer avoiding the one I don’t want 🙂 I ignore the slightly right-wing small mindedness ! “number 2 back and sides and about 2/3rds off the top” gets me the right thing

Noel Gallagher once said “by the age of 40 a man has decided on his haircut” which is very true, hence why blokes are primarily sub £10 and ladies in the £30 zone

mike_p
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I got pissed off with paying £15 for a 10min buzz cut every month and bought my own clippers – I’ll never go back. If you work out the hourly rate for haircuts, gents must be far more lucrative:

Gents: say 5 an hour @ £15, that’s £75/hr. Cash. Nice.
    Ladies: mrs_p pays £130 (which boils my piss), but takes 2.5hrs. £52/hr.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

£11 in central Bradford. Does a good job but I always wait a few weeks too late so get it smart and then the next time I go in will be 3 months later with a massive mess on my head. They told me last time that you should get your hair cut every pay day… Not going to go that mad but every 6 weeks or so I’m going to aim for.

I remember the sheer terror the first time I let my missus do my hair with clippers…

jonnyrobertson

Six quid for a blade one back and sides or ten if having a bit off the top from the barber round the corner. There’s a beautiful looking barbers shop in Burton Joyce a few mins drive away that I want to try just because it looks so lovely inside 😳
    Also used to drive past Muhammad Ali Peace And Love Barber’s Shop when going to gigs in Manchester, never did pop in for a cut but loved the look (and the name) of the place.

HansRey

€34 in Helsinki every 2 months. Expensive for a barbers, but it’s run by a funny english bloke who gives you good coffee and shortbread while waiting. Also, has a jukebox full of soul, funk and ska which is right up my street. Much easier to get the haircut that I want with him, rather than explaining in Finnish to a native barber(ian :B )

gummikuh

Excellent Italian old school barber,£9 in Bedfordshire, usually get a bottle of beer, last time was treated to a costa latte!
    He even uses a cut-throat on the sides and back and tidies up the top.
    I have a crazy moustache, and he is happy to trim that along with ear hairs!
    My misses bought some hair cutting contraption that spins like a disc sander, this will save us loads she said, I was very anti, so she said look we’ll try it on the dog first, never went near my head after that conversation!

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing as I use this every two to three weeks … 😛

Keva
    Free Member

£10 including the tip. I like getting haircuts when I’m abroad, places like India and Morocco you get a superb job plus a cut-throat razor shave for the equivalent of about 50p.

rondo101
    Free Member

£25 a month, Bristol.

I’m going out on a limb here, but reckon there’s a correlation between jeans & haircuts. How many of the sub £10 haircuts buy their jeans from Asda or TM lewin? And how many >£20 know what chronic crotch blowout on raw selvedge means? 😉

lovewookie

I used to go to a barbers who would charge about £8 to trim my long locks. For some reason they’d only employ blonde girls under 5ft. I felt like a giant every time I went in there.

clippered it all off about 2 years ago, but now have it back to comfortable long and gothiness. 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

£10

I usually wait until I look like a mental farmer, then about a month or so after that I’ll go and get it cut

binners

Nothing as I use this every two to three weeks …

You bloody long-haired hippy!

And you don’t want to be using that primitive set up man. Get with the programme! You need a Flymo for your head 😀

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

rondo101 – Member
    £25 a month, Bristol.
    I’m going out on a limb here, but reckon there’s a correlation between jeans & haircuts. How many of the sub £10 haircuts buy their jeans from Asda or TM lewin? And how many >£20 know what chronic crotch blowout on raw selvedge means?

I was just reading an article the other day in the Evening Post about the gentrification of many Bristol suburbs….. 😉

£0 here, wife does my hair with clippers. As I recall, the last time I paid for a haircut was 1998.

chewkw
    Free Member

binners – Member

Nothing as I use this every two to three weeks …

You bloody long-haired hippy!

And you don’t want to be using that primitive set up man. Get with the programme! You need a Flymo for your head [/quote]

😆 Not exactly full of hairs but lack of that is the problem. You see if I don’t shave off the remaining patches of hairs on me head I would look like a Koala bear with two sides sticking out … 😯

binners

I know what you mean. I do mine every couple of days. I have too. Otherwise I have a sliding scale of former leaders of the Tory party I start to resemble. If I leave it a week….

If I leave it more than that, I start getting a bit too…

😯

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Similar to another post, I miss living in Manila. £1.50 for a haircut, head massage, wet shave (and a beer on a Friday).

In Thailand, i’ve given up on barbers, paid £30 for some clippers and do my own #2 every week or so.

My last UK hair cut was 7 years ago. 15 bloody pounds!!!!

gonzy
    Free Member

depends who i go to…
    there is a turkish place a couple of minutes from my house…they charge £10 but depending on who sits my hair…its either good or badly done.
    there are two places where i used to live about 20 minutes away from me…one charges £12 and the girls there do a very good job…the other place charges £5 and again does a very good job but its always packed out (one man band) if its not too busy its worth going to as he does an awesome indian head massage after he’s cut your hair!!
    i used to do the grade 1 all over at least once a year…but the wife hasnt let me do that for a few years now…so the clippers only come out when i’m doing a bit of beard trimming or doing the kids hair.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My missus once cut my hair with clippers.

Given that i’d managed to to the top, fringe, right hand side and left sideburn in the mirror or by feel/co-ordination, how she managed to make quite such a mess WITH CLIPPERS I have no idea. Seriously, the sheep have a better job from the Kiwi’s each spring.

Having said that my beard usually grows like Brian Blessed’s. Trimming it into any kind of shape is incredibly difficult so I either just grow it for 8 weeks and shave, of have to accept no.6 all round and permanently look like I’m trying to grow a beard.

As for the original question £12-£13, just moved house, seems more consistent between the cutters, but not anywhere near as good as the boss at the old place.

TiRed

£16 every two to three months. Scissors not clippers. Rent is not cheap in Windsor and the Italians have the barbershop market sewn up. Left it four months after the accident, and the floor was covered in red.

The eyebrow and nose trim is included 🙁

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just paid a tenner at a different place.
    Seems good, conversation about non-DM stuff. It’ll do.

hunterst
    Free Member

£25 every 4 weeks for me.

Wash/cut/cup of coffee and a biscuit.

Cougar

That reminds me,

Years ago, my granddad got one of those cut-your-own-hair gizmos probably made by Ronco or some such, basically a nit comb with a razor blade inside. I’d have been maybe 8 or so? By the time he’d finished I looked like one of those kids you see promoting a charity for abused children. Left me with a phobia of hairdressers for years.

Travis

China.
    For me it’s not the cost, but finding someone, that will just give me a simple haircut.
    They really like to go to town on your hair, it’s f ing horrible the way they do it to.
    Now I just take my passport in with me, and say like this, and they look at me as if I’m an idiot.
    Really, I don’t want any crap or gunk in my hair, I am a wash a go person.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m more on bikebuoy’s territory – 40ish* quid every couple of months.

For that I get:

A hairstyle I like that suits me, and not a no imagination buzz cut.
    Wash, head massage and an hour spent with a hairdresser who is Welsh, mad as a box of frogs, fit.

All those things are worth 6 hours of my life a year.

*seems to vary and TBH I can’t really remember – at that price what’s a fiver either way? 😉

binners

Kryton57

£10.50, £12.50 include beard trim when I have a beard.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of you are getting fleeced.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of you are getting fleeced.

The correct term is “Shorn”

mos

£16 with Lindsay or £8 with Keeley.
    I’m more likeley to bite Keeley.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hair cut in a bag ….. 8 quid

Sometimes there’s a offer on … bogof

😀

senorj

I’ll chuck in my cost and see if that bumps it up a bit shall we.

£62

crikey , I excpect thats a full body haircut?back ,sack and crack. 😀

I pay a tenner at the local Cypriot barbers – they’re all over 60 and drink espresso like it’s water. I’ve actually moved nearer to another one but the crack is great with the older gents.

Cougar

back ,sack and crack.

the crack is great with the older gents.

you pays your money, I suppose.

caspian
    Free Member

Winchester, Hants:
    – Haircut: £35.
    – Pint: £5.40
    – Horse: For riding on if privately educated

Aktobe, Kazakhstan:
    – Haircut: £1
    – Pint: 50p
    – Horse: Dinner

Spend half the year in each place. Kazakhstan wins on all forms of purchasing activity.

ononeorange

Pretty much lost the lot but when I get the remnants clippered it’s about £14 at the Russian place near work.

gonzy
    Free Member

Local Turkish place charges £10. There’s a place I know that charges £5 and you get an Indian head massage thrown in but he’s always busy. If I get a pretty girl to cut it in a salon it costs me £12.

jimster01

£5 for a number one at Blind Pugh’s in the link.

Also get an update on what’s what.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Was paying £35 in Bow Lane but the last cut was a bit of a rush job, so I have switched to trying the ‘Istanbul Barbers’ in Woking for the last two cuts – at £12.

Been wanting to visit since when the shop next door was the ‘Transylvanian Grocery Store’, but sadly that has closed.

The main problem is that it is a bloody short cut and his English isn’t great so it is difficult telling him to cut it less short. I think I am onto a loser as I think he has an upper limit on the grade available for his trimmer thingies.

woodster

Wash/condition and a scissor-cut is £10 or £15 dependent on barber.

Really decent job too, but you need a relaxed attitude to facial tattoos and the purchase of knocked off hair products.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

£7 and a £3 tip -but this is in the South East.

tomhoward

£10, but have a loyalty card that gets stamped every time, your 10th cut is free. At my current rate I’ll be getting a free haircut in 2 years. Having had the card a year already.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘How much do you pay for a haircut?’ is closed to new replies.