Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How much do you have to take from 33 to leave 10?
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

In Sports Direct yesterday my son found some footie boots in the clearance pile in his size for £10. When we took them to the till they came up at £33 so the cashier duly went off to confirm the £10 price but when she came back it took her and her mate a couple of minutes, interspersed with comments such as “ooh, I’m not good at maths” and resort to a calculator to work out the reduction to get the till to balance. I can’t fault their politeness and customer service but surely something’s failed somewhere along the line?
    My ten-year-old said later that he didn’t want to embarrass them by telling them the answer.

s
    Free Member

So what is the answer? 😉

nomakoman
    Free Member

69.69697% reduction 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    igorl
    Free Member

Well, if they have to type in percentage discount to get from 33 to 10, it is slightly more complicated than subtracting the two.

EDIT: too late

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, if they have to type in percentage discount to get from 33 to 10, it is slightly more complicated than substracting the two.

Hey now! Let’s not let silly things like the possibility the checkout girls weren’t thickos get into the eqiti equashu ekqwashun mix!

scaredypants

burds ?

in a sports shop ?!

doing maths ?!!101

FFS

Digger90
    Free Member

There is a reason they’re cashiers in a sports shop…… likely earning close to minimum wage.

An alternate career for them would be to practise asking “Do you want fries with that?”

irc

Reminds me of the time I ordered a tumble drier at £119.99. Asked how much deposit I wanted to put on I said £19.99. The assistant then got a calculator out to tell me that would leave a balance of £100.

This was 20 years ago so standards have been slipping for a while.

daveh
    Free Member

Isn’t Sports Direct the one where they share the company profits? They might be earning a bit more than minimum wage!

chamley
    Free Member

An alternate career for them would be to practise asking “Do you want fries with that?”

That was my first career. My alternative career is now Chartered Mechanical Engineer. Just because someone young is behind a till doesn’t mean they’re stupid…

crazy-legs

I’ve heard 2 girls in a coffee shop debating what the 25% loyalty discount was on a £4 spend. Took two of them and a calculator to get to the answer that the rest of the queue had been telling them for the previous 5 minutes. 🙄

pop-larkin
    Free Member

As Dave says they will be on considerably more than min wage with the profit share scheme!

Good model – the chief exec is only on £150k which whilst still a lot is miles less than his peers

munkyboy
    Free Member

The answer surely depends on the sequence of operation and if there are any implied brackets in the equation. The answer is probably zero or some such.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How much do you have to take from 33 to leave 10?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts