Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much do you get for scrapping a car?
  • sc-xc

Has anyone any recent experience of scrapping a car? I have a 2003 Mazda 6 with a knackered engine, so it would need collecting. Looked on ebay for 'spares or repair' but can't see anything…and google is telling me much.

samuri
    Free Member

How much do *you* get?

I'm pretty sure you'll have to pay someone to take it off your hands. I would guess your best bet would be selling it as is on ebay or in autotrader but I wouldn't expect too much.

Coyote
    Free Member

I scrapped a car last year and got £60 collected. It really does depend on the price of metal. If it's high, scrap cars are valuable, if it's low well…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jahwomble
    Free Member

I got 60 quid a few months back as well, and that was with huge wheels and barely worn big knobbly General Grabber off road tyres, bloke said without them it would be worth pretty much bugger all.

Steel by the ton is pretty damn cheap at the moment apparently.

scraprider
    Free Member

sc-xc

Blimey….bloody cars. 😐

sc-xc

scraprider…is your empty post your way of saying I'll get nowt?

Coyote
    Free Member

Where's it parked? There's always the option of utilising the 'F' part of your TP, F and T insurance.

Just a thought…

andrewh
    Free Member

Scrapped two this month, don't ask. Eventually found somewhere which would take them for nothing, wasn't going to pay to have them collected! Shop around…

Seriously, newish car like that must be worth something as spare or repairs, stick it up on fleabay with a starting price of whatever the local scrappy is offering and see what happens.
    Sounds stupid but if you are buying a brand new one spend a grand on a engine transplant and then scrapage-scheme it.

Don't get me started on the %$@*ing scrappage scheme!

sc-xc

can't afford a new car…

Got £200 today for it, no doubt I could have got more but it's been a shit week. After the engine went on my car on Tuesday I crashed the hire car on Thursday 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Could have been worse, if youe engine hadn't gone it would have been your car you'd crashed.

sc-xc

still had a £500 excess to pay. Now I have my car worth £200 and a £500 dent in my credit card.

skidartist
    Free Member

Bloody hell Barry, your life has turned into a country and western song!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

that'll be the mazda 6 lack of lubrication / running on sump oil issue then……..?

Forget £1k for a new engine – looking like 5 or 6 and no used / recon engines out there for this well known issue….

sc-xc

^ exactly what happened….

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Barry,

Have a search of the backroom forum on Honest John website. Loads of 6's have gone this way.

Maybe a bit late seeing as you've scrapped it but last I heard was that there are a group of people launching joint legal action against Mazda for this issue.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much do you get for scrapping a car?’ is closed to new replies.