Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How much difference does boost make to 29er wheel strength
  • teamslug
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a new 29er. Narrowed it down to three. One has 142×12 rear and 15mm axle other two are boost spacing front and Rear. They are both marathon/ light trail 100/120mm travel. Will I tell the difference in the steength of the wheels and if I buy the non boost am I buying tech that’s gonna be superceded by boost.Thanks

al

Draw triangles, work it out. As for being superseded, 142 already is by Boost, but do you care? You’ll get 142 hubs for years to come and if 142 wheels are strong enough for you (do the math, learn from experience) then do you care?

From a white board and experience, I went past boost and bought a 157mm rear for my new 29er. Horses, courses…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I doubt that there’s any noticeable improvement in stiffness . Of course there is no benefit if the wheels are built with different adapters to fit the various axle standards there will only be a benefit if they are purpose built for 148 .

breadcrumb

In other news my 135mm 29″ wheel hasn’t exploded.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don’t forget kids, carbons runs and boost spacing will pulverise pulverise your skeleton JRA and you won’t be able to ride in a straight line due to ask the selection from riding over bumps.

This is scientific FACT. HTH.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d get the boost – then you have the option of B-plus working with less fuss later on.

Don’t forget kids, carbons runs and boost spacing will pulverise pulverise your skeleton JRA and you won’t be able to ride in a straight line due to ask the selection from riding over bumps.

This is scientific FACT. HTH.

Bit early to be drinking innit?

rickon
    Free Member

marathon/ light trail 100/120mm travel. Will I tell the difference

No. Really, no. I doubt you’ll notice the difference between 135xQR and 142×12 to be honest.

If you’re hitting DH or Enduro trails with some steep, fast and hard turns – then yes.

Hell, I went from 142 on a 29er to 142+ on 650b and noticed eff all, and that’s on enduro and DH trails.

Just buy what you want, not what the media tells you is what you need.

sillyoldman

148 rear end has other benefits beyond increased stiffness – increased tyre and/or chainring clearance due to the wider chainline as well as potentially shorter rear end again due to the wider chainline.

However I wouldn’t necessarily chose one bike over another just because one is Boost and one is 142. Fit and geometry would be my primary concern.

teamslug
    Free Member

Cheers fellas. Bikes are trek top fuel, orbea occam ( which I am demoing at mo) and canyon lux. First two are boost canyon is 142.

rickon
    Free Member

As above, the rear axle would be pretty much one of the last things on my list when looking at a new bike.

Geometry, kit, warranty, service reputation, lead time and cost would all come above a rear wheel standard.

chakaping
    Free Member

Those are XC bikes so they’ll have lightweight wheels I assume.

The biggest problem I’ve had with 29ers is getting stiff enough wheels – even for XC riding.

If Boost spacing does help with this as claimed then I think it’d be worth having.

mikeep
    Free Member

Forget your boost 148, carbon rims on a 29 FTW.

dirtydog
    Free Member

If previous incremental improvements are anything to go by then *** all.

Has anyone actually published any figures on relative stiffness/deflection between boost and non boost, can’t be that hard to do.

The cynic in me thinks it will be about 0.34% hence the lack of any published figures.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have no idea what boost is but my 700c wheels survive the 3 peaks cyclo cross and im a fat git

sillyoldman

Dirtydog – it was quoted in the original ST article about Boost last year.

Trek Launch BOOST 148 29r specific hub

kimbers

It does seem silly if only because 157mm will probably replace it in a couple of years

sillyoldman

It won’t – cranks are too wide. That’s the point of Boost – enough benefit in terms of wheel stiffness and improved clearance around ring/chainstay/tyre (allowing shorter CS) but without messing with Q-factors. This also means that appropriate weight chain sets are available as well as double/triple options for those that want them other than heavy single ring DH cranks.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Dirtydog – it was quoted in the original ST article about Boost last year.

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/12/trek-launch-boost-148-29r-specific-hub/

Thanks for that, so according to that it should bring stiffness inline with an equivalently built non boost 26″.

Have to wonder why they didn’t introduce this when they introduced 29, would have made things much more straightforward.

Can’t decidie if they’re being a bit clever or are just a bit slow.

sillyoldman

I understand the scepticism around it, but for certain categories like FS 29ers and 29/650+ it makes loads of sense. Shame it wasn’t introduced instead of 142×12 – would have avoided much gnashing of teeth.

singlespeedstu

breadcrumb – Member
    In other news my 135mm 29″ wheel hasn’t exploded.

Stop talking shit. Back in the day anything that had 29er on it exploded…

al

It won’t – cranks are too wide.

Not really. Banshee Prime can run 150 rear with a 73 BB, works fine, even as a double.

sillyoldman

They can, but the chainline is poor.

Though running a Boost chainset on it would help… 😉

singlespeedstu

Serious answer.
    After pissing about fitting B+ wheels in a 29er frame with a Shimano 11 speed drivetrain the chain is propper close to the rear tyre even with a 2.8 WTB.
    This alone has made me think about a boost rear end.

al

Though running a Boost chainset on it would help…

If you stick a single on the outer of a triple its Bob on. I’ve checked two frames since I’d assumed as you do.

I also ran the same setup on my old Bullit. Worked perfectly.

singlespeedstu

If I ran the chainring in the outer position with 11 speed on the chainline would be terrible.
    It’s bad enough as it is.

benpinnick

Though running a Boost chainset on it would help…

The chainline for boost rear end with ‘normal’ cranks is about perfect for 1x setups. I would therefore imagine that the combo of 157 + boost is also bob on.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a top fuel, the boost rear end wasn’t really a factor in choosing it, but the short rear end was. Just checked with tape measure and its 10mm shorter than my parkwood, and from brief ride feels like it. Might be imagining it but the chain line seems better

Never been a wheel thrasher, but looking at the dish compared with my standard 29er wheel I can see that it would be stronger, guess as it’s not adding weight I’ll take that

So a new ‘standard’ that may actually make sense (on the other hand, it has push fit BB which I don’t care how many graphs and stats are thrown around, I think it’s a step back)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How much difference does boost make to 29er wheel strength’ is closed to new replies.