Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • How much did you pay for your main bike?
  • edlong
    Free Member

£400

Upgrades only happen when stuff breaks and I might replace with something a bit better. So £400.

Bought in 2007. Main and only bike, road commute as well as the rough stuff.

vorlich
    Free Member

Sold!

Immortal not Cotic right?

Sorry, someone else has dibs. 😉

grum
    Free Member

Mine cost me about £1000 on the cycle to work scheme, but I’ve since bought quite a bit of stuff for it – probably spent at least the same again. 😯

cookeaa

Bugger

Another one of my evil schemes foiled!

jonnyblease
    Free Member

Main bike is my road bike/commuter – £1100 Carbon Giant Defy ex display last years model type deal

Weekend Bike – c£4000 Carbon Stumpy with Fox 34s, XT brakes, Stans flow rims/superstar hubs, reverb dropper post, clutched x9 rear mech, nukeproof 50mm stem, renthal 740mm trail bars, E13 LG1 pedals. Worth every penny 🙂

spawnofyorkshire

<bing bong>Hora to the thread please. Hora to the thread please</bing bong>

Does the transaction cost of frames over time count against his current steed?

flange
    Free Member

Best bike – either the niner (I dread to think) or my Storck which to replace would be around the £7k mark. The niner is definitely more than that..

tthew

£1300.00 for my Anthem X, heavily discounted from an internet supplier. I’t s a shame LBS’s can’t match those deals as I’d prefer to keep my trade local.

iainc

current in build process Soul around 2.5k, trusty Rock Lobster that is for sale, about £1000 in 2006 and the same on it since. Not enough used Orange 5, about 2.5k in 2008 new and about £500 since on components (not even wanting to think about the £200 per annum servicing the fork and shock) , for sale soon 😛

jools182
    Free Member

Pleasantly surprised how reasonable most of the prices paid are

I’m not sure what mine stands me at, I guess between £1000 – £1200

Frame, brakes and forks were second hand, but like new

buck53

I’m also surprised at the prices considering the reputation of this place.

Mine cost between £450 & £600 depending on whether you count upgrades made to my original bike that then went on my new (to me) frame.

Build is a mix of new/2nd hand/New old stock/classified buys, so the spec is a lot higher than I could otherwise afford.Plus, you get the fun and games of putting it all together!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

My Nicolai stands me in about £1900-2000 S/h frame and mixture of old/ new parts.
    Would be nearly twice that to replace new

fathomer

Think my Soul has cost me about £1,750 ish, it started life as a Cube and has transformed from there.

I’m currently in the process of buying bits for my first full sus and think by the time I’m done it’ll have cost about £3.5k depending on the frame. It soon adds up.

SiB
    Free Member

orange p7 pro £1.5k 4-5 years ago
    boardman carbon road bike – £1k 2.5 yeaRS AGO
    swobo sanchez £250 which was about half price last year (single speed commuter bike)

maxtorque

Sorry, too scared to add it up, ignorance is bliss!

ads678

I’m also surprised at the prices considering the reputation of this place

I reckon most people are buying frames and swapping bits over/upgrading as stuff wears out.

I bet a “what would it have cost brand new” would reveal some different costs.

My Five would double in price!

Mister-P
    Free Member

A lot less than I would get for it on the classifieds.

dday

More than my car.

spuddle
    Free Member

Self built Stanton slackline £2969.24

grum
    Free Member

I’m also surprised at the prices considering the reputation of this place.

It’s probably just that the people with the most expensive bikes tend to be the ones who show off by posting about them all the time. 😉

danielgroves
    Free Member

Bit of a breakdown here, only way I can work this out 😛

– Frame: Commencal Meta 5 VIP with RP23: £260
    – Wheels: Pro2/Flow EX: £306
    – Forks: 426 Revelation: £160
    – Brakes: XT: £120
    – Rotors: 2x XT £60ish
    – Headset: Cane Creek S3: £20
    – Bars: Nukeproof warhead: £40
    – Stem: 70mm EA50: £35
    – Seatpost: Easton EA50: £50
    – Tyres: Continental Baron (black chilli front/norm rear): £70
    – Cranks: Deore: £80
    – Replacement chainring: e*13 Guidering: £30
    – Rear mech: XT RD Shadow+ 10 speed: £50
    – Shifter: XT £30
    – Chain: XTR: £35
    – Bottom Bracket: XTR: £35
    – Cassette: XT 10 speed: £55ish
    – Pedels: XT Trail: £55

Total *drumroll*: £1491

Currently look to swap out the forks for some with a bigger axle and waiting for Wiggle to send me a hope bash in the size I actually ordered with a hope chain device.

I was actually expecting that total to be quite a lot more.

plyphon
    Free Member

£700 2nd hand, with £200 of upgrade/servicing. £900 total.

First bike, brand new, £450. Sold for £270.

kudos100
    Free Member

About 1k for the trail bike, 1k for the DH bike and about £350-400 for the jump bike. All built up with 2nd hand bits.

I wouldn’t spend much over a grand for any bike.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I reckon most people are buying frames and swapping bits over/upgrading as stuff wears out.

Exactly what I’ve been doing. Also, selling old parts helps to spread the cost around quite a bit.

_tom_
    Free Member

Probably £800-1000 pretty much all in 2nd hand bits. I think the only new things I’ve bought for it are the brakes, tyres and grips!

stumpy01

My ‘main’ bike at the moment is either my road bike or my Inbred.
    The road bike cost me £328; should have been £800.

My Inbred was bought as a frame and I took the bits off my old Stumpy FSR to swap onto it. There were a few incompatible bits, so I think the frame & new bits cost £230.

My most expensive bike is my 2010 Stumpjumper FSR. It should have been £2200, but the shop knocked the VAT off that took it down to £1870. Then I got the frame replaced under warranty and the only one they had left in stock was the carbon one, so I had that for a £50 upgrade fee. So, £1920 for a Carbon Stumpy FSR.
    Bet it gets the car park comparers frothing as I don’t think the frame colour was available in the UK, even though it is ‘only’ a Specialized.

We heard someone at Thetford ask his mate if ‘that bike is actually carbon fibre?’ and his mate replied that ‘it wasn’t real carbon fibre, just aluminium with a carbon sticker overlay’…… 😆 I still get ribbed for that to this day….

jet26
    Free Member

where’s solarider when you need him – seems to have a fairly good collection of exotic bikes.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Dekerf Singlespeed – £300.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m pleased to say I havent spent more than £400 on a part (bike or component) since 1988!
    However, I have bought lots of bits and all told my Heckler is prob around £1500 to replace and same for Soul 🙂

senorj

I still see my p7 as my main bike (although it’s used the least),
    as they don’t build them any more it’s priceless! 😀
    The crosser , used most ,kinesis pro6 with 105 & hope wheels/brakes & toys,worked out near £1600 –
    do not tell the missus.
    The other hardtail ,orange evo 4,used alot this winter, was £925 in 2004.
    The only original parts are the brake levers.

one day I’d like another full suss , but that’ll be second hand probably.

tomtomthepipersson

Depends who’s asking.

A few hundred quid if it’s my wife’s.

Otherwise:
    £1300 ish for my Trance
    £800 ish for my mmmbop
    £500 ish for my Inbred

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Buying history is complex because it involves frame and component purchases. Insurance values are easier to deal with:

£850 (probably my main bike as it gets ridden the most)
    £1,800
    £4,000

tomhoward

Bike that gets used the mostest £850 (road/commuter)
    New HT that’s only been built up a week or so, Probably around £800 but thats including swapping and selling parts over the years.
    ‘Best’ bike about £2.5k, mainly SH but a few new bits.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

£3400.00 for a filing cabinet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where’s solarider when I need a laugh? 😛

tpbiker
    Free Member

£2400 for the Enduro I built up with a ‘cheap’ frame from bikescene and second hand fork.

PMK2060

Main bike used for commuting and road rides – boardman hybrid was £700 .
    Mountain bike – cube ltd team was £675

Moses

So many bikes in bits it’s hard to work out which is the main ride.
    At a guess:
    For the woods and fun, the 2nd hand Haro Mary, £275. I loves her for a cheap ride.

On the road, a Kona Major One, downgraded drive train, around £500.
    Around town, a GT Karakorum bought new & discounted in 1997 (I think) for £600, then with some parts changed & fat road tyres.
    Then there’s the Niota, which I can’t get on with , and the Club Tour, ditto. I dread to think what they cost.

slackalice
    Free Member

What price for sanity?

I love riding my bikes and will spend judicious amounts as and when I need to. I also appreciate quality components so whilst my bikes are not bling bling, I opt for durability too.

I’m also just about to buy myself a half-century birthday present for myself and have no doubt it will end up in the region of £3.5k. It will become bike number 3.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

€1,200 for a remedy 7. About €500 of bits and bobs swapped out. Brakes, R-hub, crank and stem being the main bits. Bugger all compared to some bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘How much did you pay for your main bike?’ is closed to new replies.