Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • How much did you fancy your other half before you started going out?
  • samuri
    Free Member

Yep. Eyes met in a place I was working in and that was that. I asked her out within a couple of hours of seeing her, she played coy but her eyes said yes.

samunkim
    Free Member

You wait till Mumsnet see’s this thread

You’re all doomed

teasel
    Free Member

WTF – the Mumsnet posse wander over this way, do they…?

*wets middle finger and flattens eyebrows*

lemonysam
    Free Member

I think I was a bit of a lovesick puppy to be honest. I remember phoning a friend of hers whilst drunk and explaining that she was lovely and terribly attractive (and if I remember right how nice her bottom was) and the next day discovering that she’d been in the room at the time and our mutual friend had me on speaker.

bigblackshed

I moved to Hereford in October 1990 with the brewery I worked for. By Xmas I’d met quite a few new people and had seen Mrs Shed around and about. Xmas Eve we were introduced by a mutual friend. By New Years Eve I’d decided I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

We’ve been together since then, married in 1995, 20 years in August.

yetidave
    Free Member

A good friend accidentally introduced me to current mrs Yeti through a group of other friends she had. After only seeing a photo of her and even though she was way out of my league, I pestered my friend for her number or just getting Mrs Yeti to come out for a drink in a group, eventually the date was set (after a number of failed attempted and 6mths ). One big night out in town was all Mrs yeti needed. Unfortunately, my friend was kind of infatuated with me, she then had a total melt down on another night out, stormed off, booked tickets to New Zealand in a fit of rage, and hasn’t come back. That was 12 years ago.

epicsteve
    Free Member

met my wife 33yrs ago. we courted on and off for 5 yrs, then got serious and been married 25yrs now.

25th anniversary for us this summer too.

My wife and I first met when she turned up as an officer candidate at a Royal Naval Reserve base where I was already an officer. Those days were the first, last and only time I’ve been senior to her! It was a few months before we started going out but we got married about a year after our first date.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

mine was a phone number scribbled on my arm, didnt recall much about her from the night before. I gave her a bell anyway and been together 17 years now

BillMC

We met at an academic conference and, oddly, we both seemed to be kitted out in identical clothing. Then there was years of, it turned out, both of us looking out for the other at conferences. I thought she was out of my league and had no idea she was seriously interested. Anyway, eventually, we both changed our circumstances and got spliced. Best move ever and in 8 or so years of knowing each other, we’ve never had a row.
    Must fish out those clothes for a re-enactment down the local.

smogmonster

First saw Mrs Smog on March 15th 1996 – our first day as Student Nurses. Even amongst 100 other student nurses she was the stand out. We were friends for months until our friend Lambrini made us finally confess our feelings for each other.
    Still together 19 years and 2 kids later. Still utterly gorgeous (her, not me).

theotherjonv

Slow burn here…. I met her at work, but we were in different Dept’s so only saw each other around the corridors and canteen. She was not bad to look at (whereas I’m a pig and have no illusions). Early on in her career I’d had to take her to a hotel where we had a field trial running so being the gent I’d asked if she had any cassettes she wanted to listen to in the car. It was some years ago….. and it had turned out we had a shared taste in indie music.

So anyway, we used to see each other at lunch and chat and the like, but she was with a bloke at the time and we were just friends.

One day a mate gave me a call; he’d injured his back and couldn’t make the gig we had tickets for at the weekend. Did I know anyone who i could shift his to? So I asked Laura….. and the rest, as they say, is history. We just clicked at the gig, went to a few afterwards, have been together nearly 20 years now and happy as ever. She’s still not bad looking, I’m still batting higher in the order than I should be.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’s interesting that almost everyone replying here reckons their other half is better looking than they are, and also that they fancied them immediately.

Those of us who don’t really fancy our other halves much, aren’t sure why we’re with them, are dreadfully away that they utterly despise us etc. etc. are doubtless keeping quiet.

🙂

Houns

We’ve both realised this morning that our 1st date anniversary isn’t today but actually tomorrow 😆

peterfile
    Free Member

Genuinely thought that she was one of the most beautiful girls I’d ever seen.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well she’s no longer my other half sadly, but we met on our first date and that was it for me. i thought she was totally out of my league, she was amazing. 5 years later, we’re not together and it’s killing me.

johnx2
    Free Member

Those of us who don’t really fancy our other halves much, aren’t sure why we’re with them, are dreadfully away that they utterly despise us etc. etc. are doubtless keeping quiet.

You’re right. It is only men posting on this thread…

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

If I had lived a life ordered by convention I would have never met my better half. I grew up on a council estate in east leeds and like everyone there I grew up into the box ticking lifestyle. After a series of failed relationships over 8 years I had enough sold my flat and left everything behind to run away to the mountains. After spending a year out there I came home to find all my “mates” didn’t want to know me now as I didn’t have a house, dead end job, married, kids. So I went to live where I thought I would fit in. A move to Headingley to live with my riding buddies who were 8-9 years younger and started again. On a night out in a pub with my new workmates I spotted this cute girl in a white t shirt. I know its corny but she stood out so much it was if there were no one else in there. We started seeing each other and I had to lie about the sizeable age gap (9 years ) to keep seeing her. She was everything I wanted and nothing like I knew back where I grew up. Things eventually came to head when I decided I was going back the mountains to do another season again. She couldn’t come as she was still studying. We kept in touch very week but I wasn’t sure if it was going to last. ( I do realise I was being very selfish going back out but after trying to please everyone earlier on I just wanted to do what I wanted to do ) she came out to visit and see why I love it so much there. When I came home we moved in. That was 10 years ago. I finally popped the question 18 months ago. I genuinely love being married to her, I truly feel like karma has played its part and we were destined to meet. We have been through everything together in the last decade and could not bear to be without her. I would die for her. She still lights up every time I see her!

dude
    Free Member

Met her at work… She came for an interview in another department. I saw her when she was being given a tour of the building. I ran round in the opposite direction just to get another look at her. She was stunning. BUT… I am a really shy person. I couldn’t physically open my mouth whenever I saw her. Eventually, I started to chat a little bit. Every time we chatted, she became more perfect. Found out she was interested in cycling, and managed to get her to come to a local resevoir to cycle around. I had no intention for anything to happen, she was married, I had just split from my wife. Its 10 miles around this resevoir, and we were there nearly 8 hours. Just chatting, laughing, giggling like school children. I fell completely in love. After the third time of cycling together, and finding out her marriage was over, we kissed whilst sat on a bench. Not looked back since…

theotherjonv

8 hours to do 10 miles.

That’s one motherf**ing gnarly reservoir 😯

teasel
    Free Member

There’s some really slushy shit on this thread.

‘ave a word, guys, FFS.

badnewz
    Free Member

This is an eye-opener for me as I assumed from other threads that the majority of the STW Massive were eternally single or divorced and bitter. Good to hear some people have succeeded in the love stakes.

nickc

You’re right. It is only men posting on this thread…

nope

johnx2
    Free Member

Oh dear. I meant no one’s posting about men. And only skimmed.

Must shovel harder, this hole’s getting no deeper.

andyfla
    Free Member

Met MrsFla at my sister wedding – i didnt have anywhere to sleep so she invited me back to hers to spend the night – I knew within a week she was the one for me – asked her to marry me twice over the next few years, but she never gave me an answer …. apparently she couldnt be bothered to find anyone else.
    Eventually 8 years later on Feb 29th she asked me to marry her, just had our 10th anniversary, a MiniFla and a MicroFla now in the house.
    She is the best thing that has ever happened to me,

globalti
    Free Member

Agreed with Teasel and speaking (writing?) as some one whose marriage is completely dead in the water after 18 years of her whining and insulting me, I’m beginning to feel a bit queasy.

igm

March 12th, 1994 and I’m at the worst party ever – 4 people including the host and his girlfriend had turned up.

Host hands me a phone and say that there’s a woman I needed to speak to – we spoke for about 40 minutes, about what I do not know.

Found out she was going to a Paddy’s night do Thursday that week, turned up, saw her (was impressed), we kissed, we talked some more and we agreed that I would accompany her to a dinner dance she was going to on the Saturday night.

Today, over twenty years and two sons later, she’s in Plymouth and I’m in York.
    But it’s only a three day cheese making course and she’s back on Thursday – the boys and I can’t wait.

Seeing or thinking of her increases the likelihood that I’m smiling.

jolmes
    Free Member

well she’s no longer my other half sadly, but we met on our first date and that was it for me. i thought she was totally out of my league, she was amazing. 5 years later, we’re not together and it’s killing me.

Touché.

Met her on my leaving do for work, Friday Sept 17th 2009, she started the company the following Monday through a mutual friend. Knew instantly that she would always be the one; smart, insanely gorgeous, funny everything I dreamed of. Few years later everything broke down. Still hurts everyday but life goes on. Both with new partners, well I presume she is, didn’t end on speaking terms. Sad times.

Now i’m haunted by a girl at work who is the spitting image of her. Painfully awkward.

Smudger666

Hunnerds to answer the OP.

best mate invited me for drinks and the usual Friday night banter round his place – his sister was visiting and we got pretty pissed.

Rolled home about 2am and phoned him to tell him his sister was a babe – he’d put me on speakerphone so she knew exactly what I thought.

Next day, after the worst Saturday am hangover shift in history, I was forced to go for lunch down the beach boulevard (Aberdeen – 1994) and we ended up in the amusement park, where she insisted we go on the ghost train – think least scary, most crap ghost train ever, where she proceeded to snog my hungover face off.

20 year wedding anniversary this year and everyone knows I’m so out of my league, I must be hung like a donkey!

😀 is how I look most days I think about it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Still hurts everyday but life goes on. Both with new partners, well I presume she is, didn’t end on speaking terms. Sad times.

we’re still on speaking terms, although not that regularly. pretty certain she’s seeing someone else but i’m not. i can’t. we’ll just have to see how it all goes, it was totally out of the blue and made no sense to me.

hot_fiat

Found her on Match – the first person I properly looked at on there. I knew from the moment she totally failed to reverse park her car next to mine on our first date that she was the one. She flatters me by saying the reason she couldn’t park was that she was bowled over by me. I know she’s telling porkies: I’ve seen her parking since.

jolmes
    Free Member

we’re still on speaking terms, although not that regularly. pretty certain she’s seeing someone else but i’m not. i can’t. we’ll just have to see how it all goes, it was totally out of the blue and made no sense to me

I wish we were, miss the banter and jokes. Just doesn’t seem the same.

Took me ages to move on, well it felt like that. I heard she was with someone else after a month, although i was glad to hear it didn’t last long at all. As long as she is happy and someone loves her as much as I did, its all good in the end.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I met her 30 years ago, she was well out of my league, she still is

fasthaggis

There’s some really slushy shit on this thread.

‘ave a word, guys, FFS.

I did ,then I went off and made you this 😛

DaRC_L

Not much – was hating women at the time, I did notice she had great norks. some friends of ours were trying to set us up. It went badly.
    However, we did see each other at said friend’s house over the next year.
    Got to know her, stopped hating women (managed to focus it on just one woman my ex-wife). Our kids got on together, so I thought one date wouldn’t hurt.
    We met for coffee and have been together ever since, 14 years now
    😀

MoreCashThanDash

Most of the blokes on here have said that they are batting above their average. Except andyfla.

But he SO is…..

Dickyboy

Reading this thread makes me think i should have invested in a ring instead of one of those Grapil frames….

Xylene
    Free Member

Been with Mrs Q 10 years, married 7, yesterday, was the anniversary, I forgot again. I blame the 5 minute wedding over lunch time and the minimal impact on my wallet that reduced the memory of it all.

She was a cracker when I met her, now, well, small elephants move more gently and a brick wall is more likely to change its mind.

I don’t know what life would be like without her, but there are days where I would give it a go.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

posts like quirrel’s make me really sad.
    i’d give absolutely anything to go back to where i was last summer. never once in over 4 years did i consider not being with her.

NZCol

xherb-console yourself by thinking that it was just a matter of time !

KonaTC

Mmm… Given all the falling in love at first sight I feel bad posting this but at least it’s true…

Sunday evening local pub spotted a pretty girl, sauntered over asked to sit down and started chatting. Got a proper cold shoulder/piss off reaction; but her mate seem nice. 34 later…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘How much did you fancy your other half before you started going out?’ is closed to new replies.