Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • How much cycling clothing?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

This weekend I decided to sort out my riding kit and discovered I have 12 pairs of bib shorts. This morning I went into the cupboard to get some winter tights out and found another 2 pairs of bib shorts. Who really needs 14 pairs?

Anyone else own far too much kit?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have had a very radical cull of mine. I currently have about 2 sets of warm weather riding gear, plus a bag of warmer stuff for when I travel away from Hong Kong. I’d need to stock up if I was going on a trip where I couldn’t rely on cleaning my clothes…

🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

The change was prompted by the realisation that I had a lot of riding clothes, almost all of them were almost never used. I actually go for 2-3 rides a week, and do 2-3 loads of laundry. So I wear my favourite 2 pairs of shorts almost every time I go riding. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

I’ve got about 5 pairs of short inners/padded, 3 pairs of long padded, 5 outer shorts and 7-8 jerseys, 4 jackets. In my defence, there’s summer and winter type things going on.. Now it’s getting colder, some things won’t get used until spring.

daern
    Free Member

My guess is that “commuter vs weekend rider” will have some influence here – personally, I’ve got 4 pairs of bibs, a few pairs of shorts a couple of pairs of longs and a few jerseys and coats etc. This works for me as a non-commuter, apart from when I’m on holiday at a trail centre, but then I live in my own filth and don’t worry too much 🙂

If I was commuting every day, I’d need a fair bit more kit. Also, much like n+1, there is nothing wrong with adding new clothing to your cycling wardrobe just for the sake of it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve found another pair stashed at the back of the wardrobe. A pair of white ones 😯

GolfChick
    Free Member

I really dont have enough kit so end up trying to wash kit as much as I can in order to have clean gear. Doesn’t help that I lost some weight and now I’ve settled at the weight I want I have to restock and buy new gear that does fit! 2 pair of bib shorts, two roadie short sleeve jerseys, 1 long sleeve roadie jersey. I’ve now reached a good mtb level but the roadie department is seriously struggling especially with zwift on the go constantly, I end up having to reuse them, doesnt help that one pair isn’t all that comfy on the turbo so I then favour the other pair….. can you guess whats on my Christmas list that everyone will no doubt ignore!!

tomhoward

I reckon if I rode every day, I’d only need to put a wash on every couple of weeks (if my washer was bigger)

(Clean kit every day, you savages…)

rocketman
    Free Member

Where to start 🙂

Base layers – many. Long sleeves, short sleeves, no sleeves, collar, no collar. Dry & cold but not windy, dry cold & windy, warm and windy, warm and still, *really* hot, raining but not cold etc etc

Bibs/inner shorts – 7

Jerseys – literally dozens. Same criteria as the base layers

Jackets – 0. I don’t do jackets

Baggies – 10

Gloves – how many can you get in a drawer

Socks – as above

Helmets – 4 on the go at any given time + another 6 in a bin bag

Knee pads – 3 pairs + another 2 that may or may not be used again

Shoes – just the 3 pairs

rOcKeTdOg

I got rid of loads when i list 3 stone & now have “just enough” i can’t resist a bargain though so am now building up again. My fav bib shorts are some howies ones about 3 years old. Their latest “identical” ones are nothing like them though so never get wirn. Still searching for shorts nirvana

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

3 mtb helmets (summer, winter, Full face)
    4 road helmets (summer, commute, CX, TT)
    2 pairs of flat pedal shoes
    4 pairs MTB SPD shoes (summer, winter boot, racey, knackered)
    2 pairs of road SPD shoes (white and black 🙂 )

jerseys; guessing between 20 and 30 across all applications (SS, LS, summer, winter, road, mtb).

Probably a similar number of lowers too (bib shorts, tights, baggies etc).

I’ve been known to shop for kit I need only to discover I’ve previously bought one in a sale and forgotten about it (just done this off-bike with a pair of Cat boots at the back of the cupboard which I paid £30 for new in 2014..).

Oh, and 9 bikes.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a separate wardrobe for my cycling stuff. 🙂 It’s quite full.

stewartc
    Free Member

I go by the rule of a minimum of two sets of everything, shoes, helmets, gloves etc so that if needed I can get out on two days in a row, I don’t have a dryer so everything takes at least 24 hours to dry here in HK.

However I do have far too many Jerseys and Shorts and do really need to have a cull but all that usually happens is when I do have my yearly cull I end up replacing every item thrown away with something new but different.

hairyscary

22 pairs of gloves!
    Actually I wrecked my favourite set last week so make that 21.
    I already had a set of brand new replacements for the wrecked set, so I’ll be back up to 22 when I order another ‘back up’ set. 😳

lunge

Helmets – 6
    Caps – 10 ish
    base layers – loads, 20+ for various conditions
    Jerseys – see above, 30+ easily
    Gilets – 5
    Jackets – 2
    Bibs – 15 ish of various weights
    3/4 bibs – 2
    Full length bibs – 4
    Baggy shorts – 2
    Arm warmers – 8 pairs
    Knee warmers – 5 pairs
    Leg warmers – 2 pairs
    Socks – Loads, 20+
    Shoes – 4 pairs (2 road, 1 MTB SPD, 1 flat)
    Overshoes – 10 pairs
    Gloves – Loads, 20+ pairs
    buffs – 10 ish

So yeah, I have a bit of a problem.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

6 pairs of bib shorts
    1 pair of bib knickers
    3 pairs of padless bib tights
    1 pair of padded tights (non bib)
    3 pairs of non bib shorts
    2 pairs of baggy shorts with a liner
    1 pair of knee warmers
    1 pair of road shoes
    1 pair of super stiff mtb shoes
    1 pair of more relaxed mtb shoes (for spin classes)
    2 pairs of trainer style mtb shoes
    2 pairs of overshoes
    3 jackets (yellow, red and black)
    4 pairs of gloves (from summer fingerless, to winter waterproof )
    3 helmets (road, mtb and piss pot)
    3 cycle specific jerseys, I often just wear any old T-shirt rather than a specific top.
    numerous undershirts which i’m not counting ‘cos they get used for stuff other than cycling.
    Probably a dozen or more pairs of cycle specific/themed socks but theses also get worn off the bike.

2 pairs of sunglasses that i wouldn’t wear off the bike ‘cos they look a bit ‘special’

I have 0 arm warmers, caps or gilets but Christmas is coming so I could fill that gap.

nickc

I’ve a couple of small boxes, I think 3 pairs of bibs, maybe 5 pairs of various winter, summer and waterproof baggies, maybe 6-7 jerseys that can be used for cycling and running, and few mid layer fleecy/soft shell type things, and a waterproof.

fasthaggis

I do the whole Winter/Summer changeover thing,so it’s all in the spare room just now waiting to be sorted out,a lot will be stored in the attic till April,but there is hardly any floor space 😯 .I must bin more this time around, instead of thinking “ah,it will be fine for commuting” 😳 .

richardthird

Got some oversized stuff to move on and noted this, send for free:

https://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/continuumproject

beej

This thread makes me feel so much better about my 6 helmets, 7 shoes, 30+ short sleeve jerseys, 15 bib shorts and 6 bib longs.

amedias
    Free Member

7 shoes

7? how did you lose one?

mahalo

loads of gear but only ever use the same two or 3 items till something new arrives and an old favourite gets relegated… also always wear again, maybe not sweaty bibs or baselayers, but shorts and jerseys will usually get a couple of wears unless its a mudaggedon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Too much, but it’s all different sizes.

I need to;
    a) lose weight so my winter stuff will fit again!
    b) sort it into seasons so the winter stuff can go away for the summer rather than filling a drawer!

vincienup
    Free Member

I have too much too.

Some is deliberate: Winter vs summer clothes. Then there’s a mountain of cheap items for commute. Then there’s random unplanned bargains.

Easy to see how it happens, end result though is either a big sale or being unfashionably several years’ colours and styles out of date.

I prefer to call it trendsetting…

fifeandy
    Free Member

I had quite normal levels of kit – until I suffered badly with heat regulation during a long event, and decided if I was going to do hardcore events, i needed some proper kit.
    So I now have:
    Base layers: 11
    Padded Shorts: 17 – some saved for long days, some relegated to turbo duty
    Baggy shorts + liners: 2
    Summer jerseys: 11 (i think) – not for use in Scotland obviously….
    Short sleeve windproof front jersey: 3
    Short sleeve weatherproof (gabbaesque): 6
    Gilets: 2
    Long sleeve jersey: 4
    Long sleeve windproof front jersey: 1
    Softshell jacket: 6 – one for each month of winter!
    Waterproof jacket: 3
    Waterproof trousers: 1
    Waterproof shorts: 1
    Arm warmers: 4
    Leg warmers: 2
    Knee warmers: 2
    Tights: 4
    Shoes: 6
    Helmets: 3
    Winter Gloves: 3
    Long finger gloves: 2
    Mitts: 5

I’m Andy, and i’m a cycling kitaholic

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll have some spare bib shorts. Large please unless it’s Assos then ultra giant mega XL.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve managed to fill a trunk

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

We have a walk in wardrobe full of sports kit. 😳

One wall is covered in shelves and drawers full of cycling kit. About 2/3rds of it is mine.

I don’t want to actually count out how much i have. But i still have at least one jersey/pair of shorts from every team i’ve ridden for. So that’s 25 sets, at least. I don’t want to look any further.

(To be fair, at least half of it doesn’t fit anymore)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ll have some spare bib shorts. Large please unless it’s Assos then ultra giant mega XL.

Mine are all medium with a couple of pairs of small in there, sorry.

pictonroad

My hobby is buying decent riding kit at knock down prices. I used to get stressed about it, now I’ve called it a hobby I can indulge it properly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine are all medium with a couple of pairs of small in there, sorry.

What waist/inside leg are you? Some mediums fit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

seperate wardrobe for cycling cothes as to what I have no idea

6 shorts + 2 summer ones with an integral liner
    2 3/4 – winter and summer [ spring and autumn more like]
    8 ish tops
    3 coats/tops
    1 waterproof
    ! zip off /gillet
    2 stealths – one not very waterproof on bum so relegated to commuting as i have mudguards
    4 tights
    2 leg warmers
    2 arm warmers
    various gloves – 8 ish
    Various socks – 8 ish
    4 pairs of shoes

That includes the winter and summer stuff and i dont have both out at once and as one set is in the attic dependent on year

Its more than i thought!

benp1

WTF is the difference betweeen bib shorts and bib knickers? Is the latter like a mankini?

tomhoward

Shorts are shorts, knickers are like Lycra trousers

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

WTF is the difference betweeen bib shorts and bib knickers?

Shorts finish above the knee, knickers finish mid calf (see pic), tights finish at the ankle.

chowsh
    Free Member

What about here for donating kit? They are asking for medium or smaller so that rules out my excess XXL kit.
    https://www.africakitappeal.com/united-kingdom

Mister-P
    Free Member

A mate of mine works at the first store on the list, Giant Camden, so I’ll speak to him. Great idea, thank you.

vongassit
    Free Member

I blame all these bloody PSA’s , I had just got a new pair of AM41’s from the states & thought my footwear was sorted.

I now also have some 5 10 VXI’s coming my way. 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘How much cycling clothing?’ is closed to new replies.