Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How much cable wear is safe for fork's sake?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For some reason (exif?) the pics have gone upside down. This could be a portent of failure. I saw two black cats last night cross my path. Maybe one cancels out the other or do I get double good? Anyway – these Revs have a nasty cable rash – a 3-4mm wedge cuts in just below the point where they are joined to the steerer. Will I die?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

robware
    Free Member

Slap some electrical tape on there and you’ll be fine. All that’s rubbed off is the paint.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thnks robware. Ok. Will get a better pic, it’s about 3-4mm,into the metal, wouldn’t bother me if was just paint but feeling up inside the fork uppers are hollow but not sure how hollow at the point of damage.

steveh

That’s done a lot more than rub off the paint

kendo954
    Free Member

i find it amazing how much damage a bit of cable rub can do…

that said i dont think that will cause a failure but id reroute the cable so it wont get any worse

acidchunks

I’ve got similar wear on the revs from my wanga.

Forks are getting on for 4 years old now and they’re still going strong on my heckler. Only had one service.

They’ll actually go to 150mm if you remove a spacer. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

More pics. Further to this is it possible/financially sensible to replace the part?

scotroutes

That’s fine. Just adjust the cable run so it stops happening and ride your bike.

nuke

Wow, thats impressively grooved. I’ve had it down to bare metal but that is deeper into the metal than I’d be happy with. How do you not notice that before it got that bad?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How do you not notice that before it got that bad?

Bought used via forum. Seller claims not to have seen it. 😕 In fairness it was hidden by the cable but surely just washing the bike you move the cables. And the cable itself is unworn.

oldnick

I’d be more worried that the forks are on back to front 😉

Back on topic, the groove is rounded so I’d; a) ride it without a second thought, b) not have let it get that far [/unhelpful condescending mode] and c) do something about it (bit of inner tube/neoprene/loosely tie-wrap the cables to each other to move them).

Edit, a black cat fixed to the forks would prevent cable rub rather effectively.

rene59
    Free Member

Send it back and get refund from seller?

andyl
    Free Member

I wouldnt be happy getting that from someone without being well aware of it before hand.

njee20
    Free Member

If you look at the profile of the crown on the other side it’s not as bad as it looks – there’s a marked curve anyway. I’d not be too worried about it as is. You can replace the CSU, but it’s expensive, wait until your uppers are **** too!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

No not happy, already in discussions with seller who fortunately seems decent, and appreciate comments but like I say more concerned about functionality as have the Need To Ride and this is my only MTB at the mo – for the price I paid can live with an amount of dents and scrapes even if they weren’t identified/mentioned, it’s safety issue mainly, and maybe possibility of fixing in the future without shelling out for new forks as the rest of forks are in good order.

sandwicheater

That is very impressive and I’d be very very surprised if the seller didn’t know about it. I’ve started to get some wear in a similar place and it really stands out/catches the eye when you wash the bike down. Very hard to miss.

I’d probably still ride it though.

scribbles on hand to put some tape on forks when gets home.

nuke

I wouldnt be happy getting that from someone without being well aware of it before hand.

^this

Seller claims not to have seen it.

*cough* bullshit
    …and if they hadn’t seen it, i don’t rate them much as a seller as any seller should check the condition of an item over before selling

fourbanger
    Free Member

Want a new one? Buy a new one…
    I’d be happy to ride that.

rickmeister

Cable rub you say …

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

For forks sake? That’s what I’d have thought if I’d spotted that on a bike I’d just bought.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How much cable wear is safe for fork's sake?’ is closed to new replies.