Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • How much bling is tasteful?
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Red Hopes, red nipples, black and red carbon bar.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QYz9ER]0T0A2510[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

KCNC red headset, EBB, bottle cage bolts, chainring bolts, bar ends.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QzU3Hj]0T0A5021[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

superstu
    Free Member

I prime example of mismatching colours looks suspect. Sorry

Agreed. Would look great if it wasn’t different shades

alpineharry
    Free Member

Pink and white is kind of a hard one so i’ve just gone with black everything else. Logos are white but it’s worked quite well. Pedals are red mallets but they’re near enough.
    [/url]Untitled by bikerider27, on Flickr[/img]

ChrisL

From my new bike thread:

core – Member
    This should be in the “How much bling?” thread as an example.

Tasteful, not overdone, 2 colours, just right, Nice bike!

So here it is:

rossburton
    Free Member

The Solaris I started this thread over went on it’s maiden voyage last night, so here’s what I ended up with:

Gloss gunmetal frame, everything else is black (tried matching gunmetal Ragley bars, but they were a lot lighter). Orange Hope seatpost QR, bottom bracket, headset, head doctor. Identical orange chainring from Works Components (ignore the red spacers on the steerer, they’ll be off soon).

nwmlarge
    Free Member
    padkinson
    Free Member

Built up my new set of carbon wheels a couple of months ago, kept it plain with black BOR hubs, black spokes, and UD carbon unbranded rims.

Decided that some colour was needed, so my spoke nipples are coloured in this order: red, silver, blue, silver, purple, silver, green, silver, turquoise, silver, etc…
    😀

tazzymtb

for “tasteful bling” I’ve got these prototype mirror polished Midleburn cranks from the good folk at BETD to kick the hell out of and see how the finish lasts.

they give me a crank boner every time I look at them

mcj78
    Free Member

Of all the times i’ve seen this damn monstrosity, i’ve only just noticed there appears to be a catflap in the wall… 😐

nickewen
    Free Member

Nee way! If it’s ugly enough to distract the eye from a **** cat flap in the wall… well then.. I’m not sure what.. speechless.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

jayx2a
    Free Member

Trying to match Trek Volt Green is not easy – especially as the bike has some light blue ish bits of colour on the frame.

My pedals and mudguard are pretty much a match but most anodised blue parts are not the right shade of blue so if I change up my bars and stems it will probably have to be black bits as I dont really want a mis match of blue parts.

sb
    Free Member

Well I’ve gone the opposite…. bling frame but black parts….

Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UPqnWj]Mojo3 with carbon wheels. It's finished now. Honest.[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Things I know
    1) Logos/Valves. I was rushing and forgot.
    2) Fence/Field. I’ve already taken it up with the farmer 🙂
    3) Red grips. Yeah. I’ll be changing those.

Alex

Oh and I like that airdrop..

RoterStern
    Free Member

Blingtastic! Those bottle holders were gold plated from Elite. Problem was with all the rattling the plate came off in sharp splinters which used to cut my fingers to ribbons!

tomhoward

The give me a Crank Boner

DS or NDS?

175mm? Impressive.

lustyd
    Free Member

I lived through the 90’s so can confidently say stop with the bling before it’s too late. Blue jockey wheels (with green mech bolts), red/gold/green rasta chainrings (green bolts), blue bolts in every mount hole, gold CND canti hangers, silver bullet bros chain tensioner, green nipples, green dustcaps, red bridge on yellow forks. That said, I do have natural Ti handlebar and seatpost (blue clamp) as well as a natural ti and grey hope hub.
    Back then there was no such thing as too many colours!

daern
    Free Member

Back then there was no such thing as too many colours!

Damn it, that’s a Middleburn 50-ish you’ve got going there – I had one exactly the same on mine and was super proud of it in the day. I was roundly ridiculed for the size of it, but I was the only one that could keep pushing all the way to the bottom of the hill 🙂

It came back to mind while looking at a new Eagle bike and it dawned on me that the cassette had the same gear on it…!

And I see a bullet-bros chain tensioner. Had one of them too!

lustyd
    Free Member

It’s 22, 34, 46 😯

Yes, the extra size did help a few times and I got into the mid 40mph’s once in my dafter days. It’s only a 12 at the back though and I have no idea how I let that happen!

daern
    Free Member

I reckon this thread is going to degrade into 90s bike therapy, but here’s mine from the same era and I’m proud to call it my own.

Some items of note:
    [list]
    [*]Middleburn rings – all different colours of course[/*]
    [*]Hope hubs and skewers (blue)[/*]
    [*]Ringle bottle cage (green)[/*]
    [*]Flite Ti – just look at it :)[/*]
    [*]Red riser bar, yellow grips, purple plugs and gripshift grips[/*]
    [*]Silly purple “shit collector” on the rear mech. (The bullet bros tensioner had broken by this time)[/*]
    [*]Red Ritchey pedals – poor man’s SPDs[/*]
    [*]Tan tyres. I mean, I actually went into a shop and chose them.[/*]

[/list]

For all that, I had a lot of fun on that bike and miss it. I still know where it is. i wonder if they’d let me have it back… 🙂

Now does anyone want a bucket…?

lustyd
    Free Member

Nice bike! just reminded me I also had the blue pulley on the mech for cable angle (we were so gullible then!).

I never sold mine, I sometimes still ride it. Every time I do there’s a bunch of old buggers come over and reminisce with me about Ritchey Logic’s 😆

daern
    Free Member

Nice bike! just reminded me I also had the blue pulley on the mech for cable angle (we were so gullible then!).

Never! Well, maybe a little… 😉

(Oh, and I forgot the blue, CNC jockey wheels which were uber-bling back then and just as pointless as today!)

dumbbot
    Free Member

That Airdrop would look better with black cranks, I actively dislike coloured Hope cranks they look tacky.

You are bang on with that Solaris Ross, classy.

jayx2a
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U9TYqJ]trek1[/url] by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How much bling is tasteful?’ is closed to new replies.