Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • How much annual leave do you get?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

Recent conversation with friends has made me realise how much variation there is between professions, and I’m starting to feel a bit hard done by (yes, first world problems I know).

I’d be interested to hear how much folk get, perhaps with a quick note about what you do and for how long. I know some places offer an extra day or two for each few years of service. Mostly interested in 30-something office based engineering type jobs…

Teachers, the self employed and anyone with > 40 days can keep quiet, thanks 😉

GrahamS

I asked this fairly recently:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-many-days-of-annual-leave-do-you-get-a-year

Personally I would get 33 days (including bank/public holidays) if I was full time.

But I work compressed-hours so I have Fridays off and get 30.5 days pa – which suits me pretty well.

Software Engineer. Office based. Early 40s. Been there 12 years.

tjagain

Staff nurse 8 weeks
    Actually its 5 weeks leave, 10 days in lieu for public holidays and 1 week long service leave -but as public holidays are normal working days for me I get to take the 10 days when I want

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gifferkev

32.5 days,
    Combination of seniority and time served, carried over from being ex-civil service into a GOCO role. (same job, different management)

the-muffin-man

Standard 20 days plus bank holidays.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last UK full time was about 37 + B Hols and Flexi, was a good place to work.

Currently sort of freelancing though

jolmes
    Free Member

28 days + 12 flex days + bank holidays and can buy extra if wanted.
    Data Analyst jobby.

LeeW

38.5 including statutory holidays. Ex CS role all carried over in to current role. New starters get 33 days.

binners

Teachers, the self employed and anyone with > 40 days can keep quiet, thank

Pfft! No chamce!

*adopts smug self-employed look*

As many as I bloody well like! I’m seriously thinking of taking the whole of January off and going somewhere hot 😀

binners

Staff nurse 8 weeks
    Actually its 5 weeks leave, 10 days in lieu for public holidays and 1 week long service leave -but as public holidays are normal working days for me I get to take the 10 days when I want

I thought all you public sector lot factored in your month a year on the sick? 😛

RoterStern
    Free Member

As many as the boss (Mrs Stern) allows. 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used to get 28days leave and 4 days public holidays (Xmas and new year)

New job. Zero leave.

5 weeks on shift living and working in africa. 5 weeks off shift at home not looking at my emails 🙂

So 6 months off but I get no choice in the times dates.

Front line infantry mech eng in oilfield.

tomhoward

25 plus BH plus option of 5 unpaid

IT distribution.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

216 hours.

And we get and use it as hours, as we work different length shifts and can take part days off (police).

mahalo

30-something office based engineering type here, but on contract – so i tend to estimate my annual income as a weeks wages x 46 weeks.

so 6 weeks off give or take, or 30 days? which seems pretty average. probably take more than that in fairness, but i also take advantage of flexible hours…

whitestone
    Free Member

25 plus statutory. Can carry five days from one year to the next if I don’t use them all.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Very useful, thanks guys.

GrahamS

plus option of 5 unpaid

If you have kids under 18 then you are entitled to ask for unpaid parental leave of up to 4 whole weeks a year, per child.

https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave/entitlement

footflaps

25 days + BHs + 1 for xmas eve + 1 for long service. Should really be 3 for long service but I had a 6 month sabbatical for a nervous breakdown 7.5 years ago 🙁

tomhoward

If you have kids under 18 then you are entitled to ask for unpaid parental leave of up to 4 whole weeks a year, per child.

I don’t. These 5 I don’t have to give a reason for.

Northwind

40 days- 32 contracted, plus 8 extra paid days when the business is shut down (mostly christmas and new year).

These aren’t contractual but if they ever tried to change it we’d burn the place to the ground so they might as well be 😆 But since it’s not in the contract, they don’t promote it at all- you find out once you work here, often when it happens. Nice bonus 🙂

pocpoc
    Free Member

Mostly interested in 30-something office based engineering type jobs…

That’s me!
    25 days + 8 bank holidays.
    No flexitime, no long service bonus. Everyone working full time gets the same.
    As we’re linked to a factory we have a 1 week shutdown in the summer that comes out of the 25 days, but as my job isn’t production linked I can work these if I want/need to and take the days another time.

Sundayjumper

Contractor so anything between 0 and 260 😆

But in my last job it was 25 + the 8 bank/public holidays, plus you could buy or sell up to 5 days (salary adjusted accordingly). The rules said no carry-over but most managers were flexible on that if you used them up near the start of the year.

The job was number crunching for a very large engineering company.

dashed
    Free Member

Early 40s, engineering-type – 24 days plus statutory. Have to take a certain number of xmas and NY when the place shuts down – 3 this year, but depends what day of the week the statutory bank hols fall. So basically, I’ve got 21 days to do with as I please. I can buy more if I want (up to 10 days).

Marin
    Free Member

29 plus bank holidays plus week xmas shutdown. Extra day every year I’m with them. Sod Santa I’m jumping on a plane next week.

stumpy01

Office based Mech eng job here…

We can choose between 3 holiday options depending on how many hours extra a week we want to work.
    The max was an extra 5 days over the 25 we were getting.
    Or we could stick at 25 (I think) or go for 28 days.

I signed up for the highest extra holiday, as I was working the required extra every week anyway.

So, I get 30 days hol with bank hols on top & have to do 38.25hrs/wk to get that.

In typical engineering fashion, the bloke who sits next to me worked out that the mid-option was best in terms of hours worked/holiday earned so signed up to that……but failed to take into account that he too normally works more than the min required to get the full 5 extra days anyway….. 😆

craig24
    Free Member

Work for an IT support company, 20 days + bank holidays, can also take some unpaid (pretty flexable on that)

Alex

Not much help but I thought I’d check how many days I had off this year… freelance working on a few different projects. Actually took 42 days so far which was entirely due to deciding I had better things to do that earn a few more quid. Most of which involved riding bikes or doing stuff with the family. I don’t really need any more time off this year but @NW

8 extra paid days when the business is shut down

means another 8 as the whole sector shuts down.

And @binners

As many as I bloody well like! I’m seriously thinking of taking the whole of January off and going somewhere hot

– that’s fine as long as you’ve finished my stuff first 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Software/Firmware engineer
    33 days (25 i can choose, may day and the remaining 7 bank holidays rolled into a compulsory xmas holiday).

fettlin

3 weeks company shutdown (automotive manufacture)
    2.5 weeks floating
    Bank holidays

Not too shabby really.
    Office based engineering tech trainee.

njee20
    Free Member

25 days plus bank hols here. FinTec company, doesn’t change with service or owt.

richardkennerley

NHS laboratory – 33 days (long service entitlement.) I work shifts so if I do a bank holiday I get the hours back. Doing Xmas day this year, then next year Xmas day is the only one i get off in the festive period!

cokie

20 days, plus working the odd weekend and bank holiday (not always repaid in TOIL).
    Business Systems Analyst, full time.

donks
    Free Member

Office based electrical engineer
    25 days plus bank hols…. But only recently. Last 3 years was just 20days plus bank hols.

Never got many days hols in engineering in 25 years. Have friends who work at the open university and they get obscene amounts of holiday.

craig24
    Free Member

Reading this im definitely hard done by 😆

sparkyspice
    Free Member

30….

….Weeks

lunge

25 + bank holidays – mid 30’s, office based, management in a recruitment.

JackHammer

18days plus bank hols.

Feel shafted now.

Stupid brexit.

tjagain

statutory minimum is 28 days inc PH thats due to the EU. Without the EU rules there was no minimum ie many folk had to work a whole year before they got any hols then found they only had 20 days the next year inc PH

BFITH
    Free Member

As many as I bloody well like!

This…but no pay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘How much annual leave do you get?’ is closed to new replies.