Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How much?
  • Bunnyhop

Today I had to visit the Post office and decided to buy some 2nd. class Christmas stamps, cute they are too.
    Imagine my shock and utter disbelief, when the girl behind the counter said they are 50 pence each you know.
    Blimey 😯

martymac

50p to have a letter delivered to anywhere in the uk.
    honestly, i think thats cheap.
    how much is a mars bar these days?

Bunnyhop

I have to disagree.
    If they were 40 pence each, more people would buy. I’m guessing with the recession and everyone tightening their purse strings it will seem too much.

Oh and I don’t eat rubbish like a mars bar infact haven’t knowingly eaten anything by ‘Mars’ for years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Been that price since earlier in the year haven’t they?

Kryton57

So if they aren’t buying them, perhaps they are using emails on thier £1000 laptops or £500 Smartphone, using their £XX per month subscription?

maccruiskeen

Its a big surprise isn’t it – hadn’t bought and stamps for a while so, only needing a couple I thought I might as well buy a book of 12 so I’d have some handy, expecting the handful of change in my pocket would cover it.

what is odd though is theres now hardly any difference in price between 1st and 2nd class.

I guess this must be the benefit we all get to share for business mail being opened up to competition, although whether the businesses sending me mail pay RM or not it still seems to be an RM postie that puts the letter through the door

jota180
    Free Member

I think they’re just try to keep small retail businesses going TBH, it’d absolutely horrid if they couldn’t make a killing on stamps to offset the loss on other stuff.
    Why, if they don’t keep the price up, you’ll end up with bloody great supermarkets everywhere 😉

nbt

haven’t bought first class stamps in years, in fact I haven;t veen bought second class stamps in years. Don’t have a smartphone either, yet, and not really tempted to get one given the crap battery life (current dumbphone will easily do a week on one charge)

druidh
    Free Member

There’d be even less difference if fewer people bought 1st class stamps ….

marcus7
    Free Member

I agree its a disgrace, if I were you I’d hand deliver them, its bound to be cheaper and you can stick it to the
    royal mail fat cats at the same time, bonus! 😉

toby1

Cos they really need to make MORE profit – not like they are struggling overly is it.

CountZero

Kryton57 – Member
    So if they aren’t buying them, perhaps they are using emails on thier £1000 laptops or £500 Smartphone, using their £XX per month subscription?

Possibly, so? What has the cost of a laptop or phone got to do with anything? Quite likely most people will be sending emails on the office ‘puter that hasn’t cost them anything, or on the cheap £500 computer or £300 laptop they got from PCWorld. Again, so what, other than loss of some revenue to the Post Office.
    As it happens, I have an eight year old, £2500 laptop, a year old £600 Mac Mini, and an iPhone, and friends will either get a card through the post if they live a distance away, or have one given personally, ‘cos I don’t like an emailed ‘card’.

sbob
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

I have to disagree.
    If they were 40 pence each, more people would buy. I’m guessing with the recession and everyone tightening their purse strings it will seem too much.

Oh and I don’t eat rubbish like a mars bar infact haven’t knowingly eaten anything by ‘Mars’ for years.

You sound cool.
    You are definitely invited to my party.

Bunnyhop

Thanks sbob, never have been cool, however always been a trendsetter 🙂

As a small business owner myself (no I don’t have any 21st century gadgets) I have to use Royal mail for parcels and certain deliveries.
    It was just a surprise that the Christmas 2nd class stamps were 50 pence each. As a person who enjoys sending and receiving cards at Christmas it’s going to be expensive. So popular you see with many many friends 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

What ordinary bod uses 2nd class stamps apart from xmas time? The post is just generally used to post and pick up ebay stuff these days
    eh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How much?’ is closed to new replies.