Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • How much?!
  • scaled
    Free Member

Just been to get some free air from the LBS as i got a puncture on the way in and my pump was still in my Camelback (longish walk in to work this morning, no offers of help from fellow cyclists!)

Repaid the LBS karma by purchasing a neoguard that i’ve been after for a while, all good.

Some bloke then came in with his wheel “How much to fix a puncture mate?” £10! TEN WHOLE POUNDS, they did it while he waited and they just patched it up, not even a new tube!

jota180
    Free Member

There’s got to be some sort of minimum charge or it gets silly
    £10 is about where I’d put it

edlong
    Free Member

Supply and demand, innit?

creamegg
    Free Member

could always do it himself. it’s not exactly hard

shortcut

Not unreasonable in a city centre – bit steep in the north though. I surprised no new tube – this should be standard bike shop practice.

patriotpro
    Free Member

shortcut – Member
    Not unreasonable in a city centre – bit steep in the north though. I surprised no new tube – this should be standard bike shop practice.

Agree

MrSalmon
    Free Member

There’s got to be some sort of minimum charge or it gets silly
    £10 is about where I’d put it

+1

It’s an annoying little job when they could be doing other things. They can’t do all the little things for nothing, especially for walk ins, so there needs to be a minimum. If the bloke doesn’t want to pay it he’s free to get a puncture kit or a tube for less and do it himself.

edlong
    Free Member

I don’t agree with the new tube bit – the customer asked for a puncture to be fixed, not for supply and fit of a new tube.

Seen other threads bemoaning the modern bike shop mechanic for being all about fitting new parts rather than fixing things. I’m rather glad that a perfectly good tube with a patched tiny hole (presumably) is still giving good service rather than sitting in the waste bin.

patriotpro
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    rather than sitting in the waste bin.

It could be given back to the customer – it’s his/hers after all.

creamegg
    Free Member

It could be given back to the customer – it’s his/hers after all.

If they are the type of person who pays £10 to repair a puncture I doubt they’ll want the tube back.

djglover
    Free Member

I would say he’s under charging

patriotpro
    Free Member

With a bit of advice on how to fix/use/recycle, they may do.

It’s not for anyone else to presume.

bencooper
    Free Member

I always fit a new tube – because it’s more hassle when a patch doesn’t quite work (which can happen). I charge at least £10, depending on the bike.

What does bug me a bit is people who expect stuff for free. If you want your tyres pumped up or a spare bolt or something, at least make the effort to give me some money afterwards, don’t just wander out.

patriotpro
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    I would say he’s under charging

I had one fixed on my car’s wheel a few months since for £8.

boxfish
    Free Member

“How much to fix a puncture mate?”

I surprised no new tube – this should be standard bike shop practice.

The bloke didn’t ask for a new tube.

muggomagic

I think £10 is fair enough. If you want to jump the workshop queue, then you should be prepared to pay for it.
    If they charged £10 just for the use of a pump (customer had replaced or repaired the tube themselves) then I would consider that to be a rip off.

Saccades
    Free Member

Had a race on sunday and picked up a glass puncture while practicing on the saturday (cycle bit of a tri event), went to the place I was staying and tidied up then thought I’d better get a spare tube just in case.

I’m only slightly familiar with the city and missed the lbs so I carried on into town to a shop I knew the location of which had closed so I had to go further into town to get a new tube and got a puncture just near the place.

As originally I was just popping down the road to get a tube I had no tools so I had to get it repaired and I bought 2 new tubes.

28 euro for 2x specalized tubes and the repair.

I’ll be avoiding there in the future.

batfink
    Free Member

I would consider that a stupid/lazy tax

convert

I charge at least £10, depending on the bike.

I do hope that’s something to do with wheel size or possibly difficulty of extracting wheel (my wife’s dutch bike is a right pita) not that you charge more to punters with shiny nice bikes rather than old rat bikes on the premise that they look like they may be good for it.

£10 sounds OK but should come with a compulsory demonstration on how to do it yourself in the future.

patriotpro
    Free Member

boxfish – Member

“How much to fix a puncture mate?”

I surprised no new tube – this should be standard bike shop practice.

The bloke didn’t ask for a new tube.

Someone walks in to a bike shop asking if they sell 29ers…The bike shop does not but they sell 26ers, 650b and everything else bar 29ers.

Should the bike shop try to inform him on the availibility of other options or send him away… 🙂

beanieripper
    Free Member

Are you even for real? What do you really expect them to charge? They are running a business. What would a mechanic charge you to fix something simple on your car? What batfink said, hit’s the nail on the head.

bencooper
    Free Member

I do hope that’s something to do with wheel size…

Cost is mostly down to the PITA factor – it’s only really things with chaincases and fiddly stuff that I charge more for. That, and people who annoy me 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Some people have no idea how running a business might work eh? Probably workshy public sector types. 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I’d have offered to do it for a fiver, using the bike shops pump.
    Wonder what the bike shop would do… haggle or sling me out!

I often (once every couple of months anyway) borrow a bike shop’s pump without buying anything but because they have the pump I am far more likely to go back when I do need something.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Anyone who walks in to a bike shop and asks to get a puncture fixed is asking for it. £10 is understandable.

nealglover
    Free Member

They are running a business. What would a mechanic charge you to fix something simple on your car?

What, like a Puncture ?

Well for example, I had a nail in my tyre on the van.
    I took it to the garage where they took the van into a very large, and no doubt quite expensive workshop, put the van on a huge expensive ramp, removed the wheel, removed the tyre from the wheel with a big expensive machine, removed the nail from the tyre and plugged the puncture.
    Then they refitted the tyre to the wheel again.
    Balanced the wheel on another big expensive machine, and refitted the wheel to the van.

And they charged me £10 for that.

That does kind of make the bike shop guy with his little tyre levers and patch seem a bit steep to me.

creamegg
    Free Member

at the end of the day nobody forced the guy to hand over his cash. He had the choice of either walking away or buying repair kit or new tube and a pump. He should know how to repair a puncture anyway. It’s the most basic bike maintenence skill any cyclist should have.

xiphon
    Free Member

My LBS doesn’t fix punctures – they only offer a replacement tube.

What happens 5mins down the road when you’re ‘puncture fix’ starts to leak?

druidh
    Free Member

Set yourself up as a bike mechanic. You should easily make a good living by undercutting everyone else.

druidh
    Free Member

TBC in Edinburgh keep a pump outside so that anyone passing can use it FOC.

highclimber
    Free Member

that’s more than it costs to do a car tyre – I payed £8 last time for my car and I thought THAT was expensive!

TBH, if a person is stupid enough to pay £10 for a tube repair then so be it!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wasn’t going to post (along the lines of the consensus here) then remembered that my bike is in the LBS for a service. Better not risk bad karma!

winston_dog
    Free Member

I admit to paying to have a puncture fixed once, it was on my commuter that has Marathon Plus tyres,they are an absolute nightmare to get on and off. To save my fingers and lots of swearing I paid the LBS to do it. I think it was £15 with a new tube.

Luckily this is the only puncture I have had in several years with those tyres.

They are not cheap, they quoted over £100 for supply and fit of 105 chain and cassette. Surely if they charge full RRP for parts it would make sense to fit for free? Especially for such a simple job.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

xiphon – Member
    What happens 5mins down the road when you’re ‘puncture fix’ starts to leak?

Well he only used Topeak patches. His mate (5 mins down the road) does the same job with Park Tools patches for £12 and the job lasts much longer * Cyclist learns two valuable lessons. LBS staff have a few drinks and a laugh. Everyone’s a winner!!!

(* purely anecdotal and not based on any facts other than my recent experience :wink:)

beanieripper
    Free Member

why should a bike puncture be cheaper to fix than a car tyre? I expect the garages are making much more profit than the bike shop and treat it like a loss leader. Anyway, plenty of bike shops are charging the same hourly rate as some car mechanics/garages…

nealglover
    Free Member

Set yourself up as a bike mechanic. You should easily make a good living by undercutting everyone else.

You’ve made some sort weird leap there haven’t you ?

Don’t remember saying that bike shops charge too much, or that they make loads of money, or that I could do it different or better.

Simply that charging more to repair a puncture on a push bike, than everyone else charges to repair one on a Car/Van does seem a bit strange.

that’s more than it costs to do a car tyre – I payed £8 last time for my car and I thought THAT was expensive!

If you genuinely thought £8 to repair a puncture on a car was expensive, how much do you think would be reasonable ?

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s always interesting the theory that the bigger a vehicle the more it should cost to repair.

mjsmke

It’s always interesting the theory that the bigger a vehicle the more it should cost to repair.

I feel sorry for 29er owners then. 😆

Sorry i couldn’t resist.

On a serious note. Bike shops will charge whatever people are willing to pay. To a complete novice £10 for a puncture repair probably wont seem high at all.

watsontony
    Free Member

It’s always interesting the theory that the bigger a vehicle the more it should cost to repair

no its the stuff you have to use.

puncture kit £1 from pound shop includes tyre levers and seven patches.

or for car van ect, you need car lift or jack, a tyre removing mechine, or one of them long bars and , a LOT of effort and lots of other basic tools,

i still think a tener is fair enough, if a new tube is put in, weather you ask for a new tube or not, its a tenner fiver for tube and a pound a min to fit it

nealglover
    Free Member

Not such a strange thing to presume. If you read what I wrote, it seems obvious that it should cost more to repair a puncture on a car than on a bike ?

Well for example, I had a nail in my tyre on the van.
    I took it to the garage where they took the van into a very large, and no doubt quite expensive workshop, put the van on a huge expensive ramp, removed the wheel, removed the tyre from the wheel with a big expensive machine, removed the nail from the tyre and plugged the puncture.
    Then they refitted the tyre to the wheel again.
    Balanced the wheel on another big expensive machine, and refitted the wheel to the van.

And they charged me £10 for that.

That does kind of make the bike shop guy with his little tyre levers and patch seem a bit steep to me.

How would you think it was normal for a bike puncture to cost more to repair, considering it can be done pretty much anywhere, by pretty much anyone, with “tools” that cost well under a fiver.

You won’t get much change out of £3000.00 if you wanted to buy a Tyre Changer/Wheel Balancer/Compressor and all the other stuff you need so you change your own car tyres at home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘How much?!’ is closed to new replies.