Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How MTB suspension works – actual quality journalism shock!
  • chiefgrooveguru

If you ever wanted to know how rear suspension works, this is an outstanding article:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems-50849/

(Probably the first time I’ve read an article about MTB suspension which is wholly correct too! Mechanical engineer approved

jameso

“Then I’ll define the major design concepts that are collectively known as suspension kinematics”

… I read a good rant from a suspension engineer once about how daft it is to use the term kinematics when talking about suspension.

chiefgrooveguru

I had to google the definition! 😉

“Kinematics is a branch of classical mechanics that describes the motion of points, bodies (objects), and systems of bodies (groups of objects) without considering the mass of each or the forces that caused the motion.”

The ranty engineer is quite right – “kinematics” is totally the wrong word because it’s all about forces. It should be called “suspension mechanics”.

the00
    Free Member

I grew up reading Chris Porter in MBI getting quite ranty about suspension, so I share your appreciation of a well written piece. I’m afraid that I find a lot of ST reviews just regurgitate some marketing BS.

jameso

Exactly. Maybe it’s all from that FS-Kinematics program that a lot of people used, that probably was kinematics – chain growth graphs and leverage rates only.

mick_r

I think only half right to rant about it. Car suspension patameters are measured using kinematics and compliance rigs, so the term is fairly widely used in the industry.

http://www.abd.uk.com/en/laboratory_test_systems

maxtorque

Thing is, someone will always find something to rant about! (even if that thing is ranting itself…..)

The theoretical geometrical path of the suspension is governed by its Kinematics

The diversion from that theoretical path due to loading is called its Compliance

And you’d wrap the whole thing up under the title “suspension dynamics” to include things like spring rate, damper F/V etc

chakaping
    Free Member

*likes*

(the article, not the mild pedantry)

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks.
    Book-marked for a Rum & Woodburner moment in the near future.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d try to keep a clear head for it TBH.

😉

sofaboy73
    Free Member

book marked for later when brain feels less likely to explode from work plate spinning

chiefgrooveguru

I’m just going to end up linking to this article instead of typing loads on future discussions about suspension!

chiefgrooveguru

It would rather help if every other MTB journalist took some time to read and understand this – yes, I’m looking at you Singletrack writers! 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

Good article, that. Well written and technically correct.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Apart from being confused about what an instant centre is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How MTB suspension works – actual quality journalism shock!’ is closed to new replies.