Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How militant are Easyjet re: cabin baggage?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Specifically Luton.
    Height restriction is 56cm…ours in 57cm – one of those wheeled extractable handle jobbies – other dimensions are fine.
    Will it depend on whether they got out of bed the wrong side that morning?
    Loads of people flew from Geneva to Luton with much bigger cabin bags than that in July.

Any experiences – good or bad?

DrJ

EasyJet are quite strict on carrying one piece of luggage but I haven’t seen them enforcing the size limits so rigidly.

convert

I’ve seen a few get pulled at Inverness and made to pay to have it the hold. Nice little money maker, especially on a monopoly route.

badnewz
    Free Member

Flew with them from luton last month and I didn’t see them call anyone up on it. They seem a lot more relaxed than RyanAir.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Height restriction is 56cm…ours in 57cm

😆 is this a troll?

I flew with them last week; the flight was full; my backpack is apparently 70cx40x40cm (I’ve not measured it, but it’s pretty big) and I just walked on, no questions asked.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone have to use those baggage gauge things that they have.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re at the back of a queue on a busy flight, they’ll enforce it as it gets to the point where they have no choice other than to put it in the hold. Otherwise, I’ve found them quite relaxed. (Convert’s special case excepted of course.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member – Block User – Quote

is this a troll?

Oh the ironing.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I think they are more strict on leaving the UK. Liverpool to Barcelona they were counting bags but not sizes. Coming home some of the “hand baggage” was ridiculous swear I could of got my bike bag on 🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Not Easyjet and not Luton, but for what it’s worth, at Heathrow our hand luggage was checked for size by airport security. They had a cage your bag had to fit inside. If it didn’t fit you were in trouble. That was before we got to the X-Ray scanners etc and was nothing to do with any airline.

The guy doing it must be hoarse by the end of 8 hrs of repeating “I don’t make the rules, it my job”

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think the problem is that they are inconsistent. I’ve been on flights where they stand there and make absolutely everyone put their bags in the gauge things, and if you need any level of pushing to get it in, they reject it and it’s a £30 or so charge to put it in the hold. Other flights you just walk on and you could be carrying a coffin on board for all they care. There seems to be no rhyme or reason – sometimes they make a big deal on empty flights, sometimes they can’t be bothered on flights that are rammed. I don’t mind the principle, but I would like them to be consistent with it.

rascal
    Free Member

Nope – it’s not a troll.
    It’s the inconsistency – knowing my luck I’ll be the only one who gets their bag checked and by the letter of the ‘law’ it’s too big – albeit by 10 bloody mil! There were massive bags being pulled out of the overhead lockers a few months ago so obviously they DO allow bigger bags – just how often?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Block User

???

MrSmith
    Free Member

In my experience they are strict and have seen many an argument with passengers and boarding staff over bags, I only ever use them for leisure travel and never with the £15k of camera/lighting that I take on as carry-on with work trips when I will pay more and use BA (they allow my large Li-ion batteries too).
    If your bag doesn’t contain valuables or you can put them in a thin bag and put the bigger bag in the hold then no problem?

Flaperon

I’d have thought that if it fits into the metal cage without being forced it’ll be fine – they’re after the people who take the piss. Can’t see a Geneva flight being that full at this time of year anyway, so they’re not going to be especially worried.

Shoving a bag in the hold is a money-spinner, but it rarely happened when I worked there, if at all. I’d be more worried about the state of the pilots re fatigue etc.

ampthill

Nope – it’s not a troll.
    It’s the inconsistency – knowing my luck I’ll be the only one who gets their bag checked and by the letter of the ‘law’ it’s too big – albeit by 10 bloody mil! There were massive bags being pulled out of the overhead lockers a few months ago so obviously they DO allow bigger bags – just how often?

Friend of my parents got stung for an American size carry on bag. I think just the wheels were too large for the cage

devash
    Free Member

Stricter than Ryanair in my experience.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Can’t see a Geneva flight being that full at this time of year anyway, so they’re not going to be especially worried.

I flew back from Geneva late last Monday on BA, a collegue on easyjet, the flights were full (to LHR and LGW) have flown from Luton with easyjet a few times and they have always been full

Trekster

Last few times I’ve flown there has been too many people with hand luggage so they put out an announcement that you can place your hand luggage in the hold for free. Therefore have it secured in anticipation.
    Other than obviously big bags I’ve never witnessed anyone being refused hand luggage or checked, don’t fly often though….

rascal
    Free Member

Hmmmm – not sure why I started this TBH.
    Well I do…just the answers are as inconclusive as any other question ever asked here on STW 😉

footflaps

Have to say Ryanair are a lot more relaxed since they decided that treating passengers like prisoners wasn’t doing them all that much good. Easy jet can be quite strict on weight, have got very slick at taking my laptop out my bag before the weigh it without them noticing….

Mister-P
    Free Member

Flying to Barcelona from Luton last Thursday they were very strict. I watched a woman stamp her bag so hard into the metal cage that it had to be turned upside down to shake the bag out again.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve also seen a passenger kick the wheels off their bag to get it to fit and avoid a £50 charge. That was a few years ago though.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Well I do…just the answers are as inconclusive as any other question ever asked here on STW

Sorry to do this then, but

Stricter than Ryanair in my experience.

Totally the opposite IME

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think it all depends on how busy the flight is. If it’s fully booked then they have to be strict.

Jason
    Free Member

Easy jet can be quite strict on weight, have got very slick at taking my laptop out my bag before the weigh it without them noticing….

There isn’t a weight restriction with hand luggage on Easyjet.

footflaps

Maybe I’m getting EJ and RA confused…

taxi25
    Free Member

I know this might sound stupid, but why not just get a bag that isn’t to big !!! It’s not rocket science and you get rid of all that will they won’t they check it stress.

wallop

No weight limits on Easyjet hand luggage. That’s why they are great for skiing – hand luggage size is perfect for ski boots.

chrisr1983
    Free Member

Don’t care about weight. Can be very picky on size

DrJ

I know this might sound stupid, but why not just get a bag that isn’t to big !!! It’s not rocket science and you get rid of all that will they won’t they check it stress.

They don’t actually guarantee to take a bag that isn’t “fit under the seat in front” size so you may still be stressed, if you are that way inclined 🙂

What pisses me off on BA etc is when numpties with masses of oversize baggage cram it into the locker squashing the small bag I put there containing a Ming vase. Or (worse) when the BA cabin staff ask me to put said small bag under the seat to make way for people’s extra large bags.

hels
    Free Member

I flew out of Luton last week via Cheesy. They stopped a couple of guys I saw and made them put their bags in the hold, but they were pretty blatantly flouting the regulations. Huge bags ! I wandered on with about 4 bits and pieces, which would have fitted into my cabin bag if they pushed the point.

If you get a newish plane they seem to have made the lockers mahoosive, there were no problems on two packed flights.

Also, don’t bother with Speedy Boarding, on the return flight about 75& of people had bought it, which kind of defeats the purpose. Then they corralled us into another room and went back to random order and I was third on. Usually I just wait for the end and stroll on last. Small victories !

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ime it just depends how much of a jobsworth bastard is on the gate.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’ve flown to and from Liverpool with EJ and East Mids with RA and have seen both airlines getting anal about checking hand luggage size. Why not just put your handluggage in the hold? It doesn’t cost anything extra and you bypass all the crap about putting things in plastic bags and limiting the toothpaste you can carry on.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Also, don’t bother with Speedy Boarding

I play the game if I have to fly Easyjet for work. It’s normally just up to Scotland and back. I always ask for ‘Extra Leg Room’ The extra legroom is nice, but what I’m really after is a front row seat for the return trip as I’ll only have a small bag with me. That way I’ll be most of the way to my car to go home before the last passenger is departing the plane. Book these seats and Speedy Boarding comes as standard.

disco_stu
    Free Member

They seem a lot more relaxed than RyanAir.

I flew with Ryanair last month to Sardinia, you can have 2 pieces of hand luggage now and they were pretty relaxed about the size of the luggage.

However once the overhead luggage spaces were filled some people did have their luggage put into the hold.

stayhigh

They were well on top when we flew back from Basel a couple of weeks back. A guy in front of us had to resort to pulling the handle off so it would fit 😯

GrahamS

Well I’m currently in Belfast, £45 lighter after getting stung by Easyjet at Liverpool airport.

The bag matched their published dimensions, but didn’t fit in the baggage checker at the gate because of the sticky-out wheels and handle.

We’ve used this bag before and the checkers were an open metal frame so wheels weren’t an issue.
    But this one was a solid walled box so no chance.

atlaz
    Free Member

If the flight is likely to be full of people carrying full size hand luggage they will be militant and they will also ask people with carry-on cases to leave them at the gate. If it’s a half empty flight or mostly day-trip business types, they’ll be less inclined to care.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just watched someone on a BA have an interesting take on their cabin bag policy – one mahoosive wheelie bag, one pretty big laptop bag, a rucksack and a big bag of duty free!

Suffice to say the gate dragon wasn’t impressed…

sadmadalan

Just came back from Sardinia yesterday. Some of the luggage taken into the cabin was huge. However about 30 passengers had to have their bags put into the hold as there was no space in the overhead lockers.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How militant are Easyjet re: cabin baggage?’ is closed to new replies.