• This topic has 42 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rj.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • How many tents do you own and why?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

I have five.

1x 2 man ridge tent – circa 1972 – I love my old tent.
    1x 1 man Vango backpackers – a hand-me-down gift from father-in-law for when i eventually go backpacking.
    1x 2 man Vango Delta 200 dome – a cozy £25 quick to pitch tent.
    1x 4 man Pro Actio dome – an impulse buy 12 years ago.
    1x 8 man Pro Action Arizona 3 bedroom group/family tent.

Oh and a 3mx3m commercial grade popup gazebo with side panels – the beverage tent. 😆

But i'd still like another tent!

You can never have too many tents. 😆

chvck
    Free Member

I have none; I dislike camping…however I need one for a weekend in 3 weeks 🙁

Spongebob
    Free Member

Your local "go outdoors" is the place to see pitched tents.

chvck
    Free Member

i have a feeling that's nowhere near by! I'm just going to buy the smallest tent I can find that has the best waterproofing etc…

Spongebob
    Free Member

£24 2 man tent.

Seems like a great deal to me.

jon1973
    Free Member

Two tents. One for long trips (Scenic 6.2)

and one for short trips (Mallard 4)

Off camping to Dorset next week for four days. Can't wait.

druidh
    Free Member

Currently 3 tents
    [*]
    3/4 man Vango for a couple of nights away en familie[/*]
    [*]Ancient Saunders Spacepacker which I've just started using when "car camping" solo on account of it having so much covered space.[/*]
    [*]Macpac Microlight for lightweight sorties.[/*]

Vaguely considering a larger family tent and a lighter-weight replacement for the Microlight.

chvck
    Free Member

Cheers Spongebob, might have to get one of those! Looking for something a bit smaller though – if it rains then I want to pitch the tent in the bed of my pickup 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

ive a bivvy sheet. A north face mountain marathon. A two man job cant remember name. A vango three man done. A six man dome vango again and a twelve man beast thats huge 🙂

el_boufador

Camping. It's intentse.

I have
    A Cade Aristra circa 1995 – great tent loads of good times camping with it in all conditions. Most often camped in it either wrecked from riding or wrecked from, well, other recreations 😉 Now redundant due to North Face Rock

A Vango Venture 500 – old larger tent. Rubbish in wind! Now redundant due to Halo 73 below.

North face rock 22 – something lighter/more portable, but still quite a reasonable space inside if it's wet. Use it a lot when I'm camping on my own.

Wild Country Halo 73. The newest purchase, to take me & the missus & the kids out. Only used it twice but it's already a superb tent. Very stable in wind, fantastic build quality. Very comfortable. A real home from home, and not too bulky or laborious to set up!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We have a massive tent, a big tent and a tiny tent

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

none

camping is awful

el_boufador

There's something shifty about people who don't like camping

No offence!

adey205
    Free Member

6 of the bloody things.
    wifes got this thing about "needing" a bigger tent.
    wwouldn't mind. butthe kids stopped coming 2 years ago!

DrJ

One – North Face Bullfrog.

Bought it ages ago and used it a lot for a while, but not for years now. But tomorrow we are going to Switzerland so it will see the light again!!

aracer
    Free Member

4 – did have 5, but I contrived to lose one at some point.

Polaris Shelter – superlight single skin race tent
    TNF Canyonlands – was a prize, used as a lightweight tent to carry when I don't want to go as extreme as the single skin (though it actually has less space inside than that!)
    Vango something or other – 3 pole semi-geodesic 2 person, for low hassle car camping
    Big 4 person tent from a catalogue – more hassle than the Vango, but lots more room – can put up a table and keep bikes in the living area.

Used to have a Saunders Jetpacker – gutted I lost it (don't even know where or when I lost it – at some point I had it, some point later I didn't), as it was a superb backpacking tent.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just the one nowadays. TNF Tadpole 23 which is a great wee tent. Luxury for 1 but will fit 2 without too much drama.

Had an original Wild Country Quasar but it saw so much use that it was needing a new groundsheet, poles and flysheet. Great tent though – might need to get another one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Loving that tent with a garage.

I've got none. But am in the market for one, to sleep 4 in two seperate compartments. Any suggestions?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Three tents and a tarp

Big! REI Taj III Tent – 3 person tent so feels spacious with 2, solid, a compromise for us between space and stability after some large tent blowing down/away/in two incidents!

Now with added porch area!

Karrimor 2 person tent, used for backpacking trips before I was part of a couple

Vaude Hogan 2 person tent, used for backpacking trips by other half before he was part of a couple

Last 2 really surplus to requirements now, our 'big' tent isn't that much heavier so the extra weight is worth it for the extra space.

lowey

One. Vango Diablo 900.

Mahoosive tent. Very stable in bad weather, but a bitch to pitch.

Would love to swap for a Montana 6.

Spongebob
    Free Member

adey205 – Member

6 of the bloody things.
    wifes got this thing about "needing" a bigger tent.

Way to go adey205! 😉

I'm quite keen on an ultra-lightweight hi-tech 1/2 man. The Vaude Hogan 2 looks good, serious money compared to a lot of stuff on the market. I see there's an XT version with large vestibule.

I'd like to sell the family tent and go for something of better quality too.

If only I had some money coming in!!

Am I a tenthead? Is this the male version of a handbag obsession? 😆

samuri
    Free Member

never thought about it but I realised I have quite a few.

1 small 2 man tent just for me
    1 medium 3 man tent for when me and my son go camping
    1 large 5 man tent for when we all go
    and a bivvy bag that I've never, ever used but should.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Had an original Wild Country Quasar but it saw so much use that it was needing a new groundsheet, poles and flysheet. Great tent though – might need to get another one.

there are always very tempting offers on ex-demo tents and similar on the terra nova site. just so you know. 🙂

here you go…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I replaced my old Ultimate Phazor Dome circa 1983 with North Face Moraine. Spacious but bulky in its bag for BOB touring. I bought an MSR on here a few months ago. Very compact packed size. It uses about eight pegs, I'm likng it a lot. I dont mind takinga slightly larger tent on a tour for the sake of a wee bit more luxury when the weather is really bad and you want to stay put until it improves. Having said that, I quite fancy trying a superlightweight one man tent.

AlasdairMc

Just the one at the moment, a Eurohike 3 man effort bought about 15 years ago. Looking at a 1 man tent as my next purchase

footflaps

Quite a few:

Macpac Microlight Ultra – for Mountain Marathons
    Macpac Minaret for backpacking
    North Face VE25 – for mountaineering
    Huge car camping thing for events
    Several Gazebos for Mountain Mayhem etc

footflaps

plus at least two Bivvy bags and a group shelter thing…

Spongebob
    Free Member

I had a close look at this Coleman Phact tent. A super sturdy capacious geodesic design with alloy poles, but a tad heavy at 4kg. Ok if you split the tent between two people.

I liked the dual doors so each person has their own personal storage and the tent can easily be kept ventilated.

The additional poles will mean this would perform well in high winds.

It's an inner first pitch, but instead of having clips on the inner, it has sleeves. I find sleeves a bit of a pain, clips are quick and simple.

£120 seems cheap for this quality of tent however.

Must stop looking at tents! 😮

Spongebob
    Free Member

Macpac Microlight Ultra looks like a great 1 man backpackers tent

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

how many? one 'karsten' inflatable

why? i guess i like "niche"

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have two; a vango TBS equinox 350 which is great but only for car camping really, and a newly acquired coleman rigel x2 lightweight thing that i was going to use at the STW weekender but i chickened out of camping due to the (albeit shortlived after all) rain on the saturday evening…

Spongebob
    Free Member

coleman rigel x2 weighs less than a kilo and costs around £60. Good for one person.

I feel some bike trekking coming on!

neil_1979
    Free Member

I have one lightweight 2 man tent that can be carried and put up quickly, used in when we went travelling around Italy last year.

The second is a large 4 man dome tent, cheap and heavy but when we camp with the car the weight makes no difference and its so much comfier to be able to stand up to get dressed and have somewhere sheltered for a group to sit if the weather is crap.

sadexpunk

thegreatape, ive got an outwell maine for sale, used once, thatd fit your bill exactly 🙂

furry_marmot
    Free Member

one. North Face Northwind – ultra-light 2-person tunnel designed for alpine climbing in poor weather conditions. I bought it 10 years ago after reading a test where all the major "extreme" tents of the day were pitched behind the engines of a Hercules C130. After the plane had taken off, the Northwind was the only one still standing 🙂 it was discontinued shortly afterwards, presumably for being "too niche"… but remains one of my most prized bits of outdoor kit.

NZCol

2 x macpac minarets (don't ask …)
    1 x macpac microlite ultra
    1 x macpac olympus
    1 x msr hubba thungy whatsit for AR

We need something bigger i reckon ….

mema
    Free Member

I have a minaret ( but only one!), a microlight and a jack wolfskin tundra 3, then there is also a saunders spacepacker somewhere too. I love sleeping in tents.

boblo
    Free Member

I have four at the mo… Terra Nova Quasar that replaced a venerable Phoenix Phortress for mountain tomfoolery, a Saunders Spacepacker for 2 up backpacking, a North Face Tadpole for two up bikepacking and a newish Terra Nova Laser Comp for solo backpacking and AR.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

2 for me:

Terra Nova Solar -for MMs and solo backpacking
    Macpac Olympus -for everything else.

Have been thinking about a bigger one since 90% of the UK camping I do is from the car.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

3 tents.
    A tiny 2-man.
    A 4-man for weekends away.
    And a great huge 8-man for family holidays!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘How many tents do you own and why?’ is closed to new replies.