Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How many STWers watch the soaps? (Looking forward to this!)
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m an unashamed and fervent fan of Coronation Street, devouring five episodes a week.

I can’t imagine there are many on STW who spend time watching this particular TV genre. I imagine you’re all way too busy building scale models of oil rigs from cherry stalks and such like.

Am I right?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I sometimes watch the F1, although that’s probably more of a scripted reality show like Made in Chelsea than a true soap. Some of the characters are quite amusing though.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Not soaps, but as I mentioned elsewhere, currently plowing through “Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares USA” on 4 On Demand, so I can’t really criticize.

Whatever floats your boat…

hammyuk
    Free Member

NO!
    Not once – one of the factors that lead to me eventually leaving the ex was her tv viewing habits.

Trimix
    Free Member

Not me.

RustySpanner

Not seen Coronation Street since Ernie Bishop got shot.
    Watched the first few East Enders but found it too miserable.

Loved Neighbours as a student.
    🙂
    Still watch Dr Who and saw the first series of Downton.
    Both basically soaps, innit?

Long term Archers addict.

Nothing against them, just prefer a bit of crime.
    Love Morse, Columbo, all that rubbish.

swavis

It’s all about Emerdale here

Rorschach
    Free Member

I listen to the Archers…..

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dubs watches Eastenders and Corry.

I tend not to pay too much attention.

funkmasterp

Not since my late teens.

Cougar

Not seen Coronation Street since Ernie Bishop got shot.

Dude, spoilers!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not a chance. It’s brain rot for the masses.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Great drama, some great acting, sometimes very funny. I think they get a bad rap. Corrie and Enders for me.

SaxonRider

I don’t judge those who do watch them, but have never really been able to get my head around what anyone would want to.

chickenman

I avoid soap wherever possible!

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHQT3Omqtw[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

since Ernie Bishop got shot.

Can’t be true, SaxonRider never mentioned it!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hell no.

But I’ve been thinking about watching the original DALLAS/DYNASTY for the nostalgia lols.

tthew

Casualty. Don’t know why really, ‘cos it’s bloody awful. Think it’s just that it’s on at that time on Saturday night that I happen to be watching telly. Will probably decide to prep my bike for the Fox Antifreeze tomorrow in preference tonight.

Drac

God no.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mrs Coolhandluke likes the soaps. I mainly dislike them but hate Eastenders with a passion, they always seem to be shouting at each other. I walk out the room usually.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It is an enduring regret of mine that I have absolutely zero interest in TV soaps and celebrity gossip – they clearly bring so much happiness into many people’s lives.

I feel that I have been robbed……the bit of brain which deals with TV soap and celebrity gossip appreciation is obviously missing from my head.

vongassit
    Free Member

Bread & circuses

Cougar

No love for Prisoner Cell Block H? Is disappoint.

nick1962
    Free Member

Bread & circuses

Is that on Sky?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not at all. Can’t seem to ‘get’ it.

My folks live 6 hrs drive away, so I get to visit once or thrice a year. They watch Coronation Street and Emmerdale religiously. They also buy those tabloids and magazines that detail the events of latest ‘soap gossip’

While visiting I kind of sit there and let time wash over me as the TV catchup takes the place of family catchup. It feels weird. It seems they believe it is real. Some nuggets of wisdom slip out from family members as they watch in rapt near-silence (last time I ventured into the Lounge/TV Room Of Death):

– ‘Why have all the girls got black hair these days?’
    – ‘Because if they don’t they’d be called racists’

🙄

Fake reality! Life slips away, time stands still. It feels like a stolen adulthood.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The odd Archers and River City

convert

Like fruit machines in pubs it’s something I appreciate others get entertainment from but somehow knew from birth that they were not for me without even trying it to find out.

takisawa2

I’m not ashamed to say I absolutely love “Call the Midwife”. Especially the gorgeous Barbara.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SfNY98]Call the Midwife Barbara[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

nealglover
    Free Member

Never watch the soaps, but I’m not going to get all preachy like some, we all “waste” our time in some way, each to their own.

The way some people on here preach about TV watchers wasting time, you would think they spend every spare minute curing cancer and inventing perpetual motion machines. 🙄

bearnecessities

I think there’s a market for a soap that would be more in the STWer fantasy land demographic.

Opening title music

Scene 1`

<Cut to scene of a man in shed rooting through a Halfords Tool Chest>

“For ****s sake, where’s that *****ing allen key”

<Wife walks into shed>

“What the **** do you want?”

Wife: “I’m leaving you”

“Great”

Wife: “I’m taking the kids too”

“Even better”

Wife: “It’s Guy Martin, we’re in love”

<Man collapses to his knees>

“Noooooooooooooo”

Scene 2 – Man down the pub with friends – border terrier in tow and open fire flickering away”

“So yeah lads, got me a new woodburner. Charnwood donchaknow. Judith’s left and taken the kids too”

Brian: “Nice. I’ve got a new Skoda”

“What? Skoda make woodburners now?” *guffaws*

Brian: No, I just wanted to talk about my stuff”

Pete: “See that bird behind the bar? Shagged her”

“That’s my eldest”

Dave: “Omega”

Larry: “Stihl”

Bob: “HebTroCo”

Simon: “Vauxhall Astra”

“**** off Simon you bellend”

..etc

Drac

Can’t wait for episode 2.

The Racist Homophobe.

nedrapier

I had a look round the Corrie set the week before last. Met Ken Barlow in his dressing gown. Quite interesting. Would have been more interesting if I’d ever watched it, though!

jambourgie
    Free Member

Is Ken Barlow still in it? Remember him from when I was a kid. Heard the actress who plays Dot Cotton on the radio the other day. She must’ve been in her hundreds when I last saw Eastenders in the 80’s! It warms my cockles thinking that Dot is still going strong. One in the eye for the anti-smoking bed-wetters.

bearnecessities

Can always rely on you Drac for some light-hearted humour.

FFS.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

One in the eye for the anti-smoking bed-wetters.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Haven’t watched a soap in 20 odd years. Stumbled across the East of Enders a while ago and thought the sound of our TV was up the swanie as everybody seemed to be whispering and also thought the brightness was buggered too as it was all dark looking…

Pook

Neighbours.

It’s ace. And you can all sod off because I don’t care.

And neither does Amy, the handiwoman

convert

Heard the actress who plays Dot Cotton on the radio the other day. She must’ve been in her hundreds when I last saw Eastenders in the 80’s!

hmmm

It warms my cockles thinking that Dot is still going strong. One in the eye for the anti-smoking bed-wetters.

June Brown left the 1980’s aged a surprisingly youthful 62…but she apparently looked like she was in her hundreds. Yep, that’s definitely one in the eye for the anti smoking bed-wetters. 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How come mods get a sig now?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How many STWers watch the soaps? (Looking forward to this!)’ is closed to new replies.