Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How many Stages power meters do I need to try beforeI get one that works?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

On my third Stages power meter, the previous two having gone through batteries over night or in a week.

Seems the third one, the battery has lasted about 3.5 weeks of mayhe a few hours per week. Not anywhere near the quoted ~200 hours or whatever it is that Stages promote as normal run time between batteries.

Getting annoying. Plus it went tonight without warning, just before a time trial I was doing. Though, bizarrely whilst no power data was showing on screen (just “—W”), it seems to have recorded some in the activity file on my Garmin. Plus my Garmin says no Ant+ power meter detected when I try it now. So how it could record power data yet not display it, very odd.

Anyone had similar problems? Do I need to take this one back. Will I ever get one that lasts or gives me some warning of a dead battery??

Not got a lot of confidence in this.

adsh
    Free Member

On my first one. Batteries last from 3 days to 2 weeks. Often go on an mtb race. Went today on my commute and in rage I tried just opening and shutting the cover and hey presto.

Thing is none of the other options work for me as I want to swap between 3 bikes with xtr. No one does xtr, one bike is a triple, two 1x. Powertap hub is heavy and can’t swap axles, other chainset options compromise what I need but if I did change it would be Quark xx1 or SRM xx1 (ouch) as I don’t like the p2m or rotor chainsets.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

There is new firmware/app out to help sort out the issues some are having

As part of Stages Cycling’s long-term product maintenance plan, they have improved the Stages Power meter through attention to the device firmware.

Today, Stages offer improvements to the Stages Power App and the Stages Power meter firmware. Stages recommend all riders with Stages Power meters update both their App and firmware for the best performance of their devices.

When updating, please update the Stages Power App first (through iTunes or Google Play) and then update the Stages Power meter firmware (using the Stages Power App) to ensure the system’s full functionality.

Improvements to the App and firmware come as a result of evolving Bluetooth communication protocols and agreement on the Bluetooth standard for sport devices. Because of the two-way communication capabilities of Bluetooth, failing to update either the App or firmware will result in limited functionality within the system.

After update, the Stages Power App will work with current Bluetooth standard devices (including Polar and others) and with Stages Cycling’s new indoor cycling power meters. The new iOS App will also display ANT+ ID for quick meter identification in multiple-meter environments. Also, Android users will now have access to the high-speed data capture feature.

Stages App & Firmware update

The firmware makes multiple improvements to meter function, including better cadence resolution for high-rpm applications and increases in the power meter sensor’s power and battery management capabilities.

This latter improvement addresses battery performance issues documented in the field.

“While we cannot personally verify the quality of a rider installed replacement battery, this latest firmware revision directly addresses the issue of random premature battery failure or draining that a small percentage of our customers have experienced and are vocal about,” said Pat Warner, Stages Cycling’s senior vice president. “With this new firmware we’re also gaining 10-percent more battery life in the unaffected meters, so it’s a big win for us all around.”

You’ll find a detailed list below of our improvements to both the Stages Power App and firmware. Of course, if you have additional questions regarding your Stages Power meter do not hesitate in contacting us.

imnotverygood

That’s a really classy press release. The implication is that it is the customer’s fault that they are ‘getting vocal’ about their power meters not working as they should. They should keep their gob’s shut apparently.

bigrich

or follow the instructions before spouting off.

gazza100

Had similar issues whereby the crank wouldn’t connect to my Garmin the following day. The battery display on the app also turned orange after only 2 hours use, despite the battery (Duracell) being new. Finally gave up after 3 Stages having similar issues. However, I returned the 3rd the day before the latest firmware release, therefore unsure whether that would have resolved the issues I was experiencing. Ended up replacing it with a Quark Riken which has been fine so far.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is the answer to the op’s question, n+1?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I had the same issue with my first one but since getting a replacement (a much later issue one) I haven’t had the battery drain problem.

It does still throw a hissy fit from time to time and refuses to be recognised by my Gaemin but turning everything on and off a few times always seems to solve the issue.

One more pernicious problem seems to be the great variability in power readings. I’m confident that mine is accurate now but for example, at our local club TT, having caught my minute man and put a further 50 seconds on him, his power reading was 330 watts and mine was 260. We both weight the same and he was the one riding a TT rig while I was on a road bike.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I have 3 stages 2 Ultegra’s which have been fine, never had the 200 hours but a pretty good chunk of time. I am though on my third XTR one. The first XTR one I had a good run of time from the battery but it was when I needed to replace a new battery that it all started going wrong. The second one I don’t know what happened coz the bike was ‘put away’ during winter when I got it out this year battery was ok for a few rides then went and then any replacements just kept failing too. so far so good on new one though all with new firmware.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m currently on my second. The symptoms of the first one was that it just wasn’t getting power, even with a fresh battery. The one positive is at least the turn around to getting a new one was quick.

bob_summers

Still on the first, bought July last year. On the replacement batteries I found the low battery warning came sooner but just ignored it and they kept going for weeks.
    Then spotted some water in the battery compartment. Stages sent some beefed up covers and seals. Now the meter occasionally stops communicating with the garmin, sometimes before a ride, sometimes during. If I reach down and press the battery cover, it wakes up again (awkward while moving).
    I’ll try a different battery brand (different size tolerance maybe between manufacturers causing the cut out?) but I can see this one going back.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shame about this really as it’s a nice solution otherwise. Brought two PM’s since the stages has been available and neither was a Stages, this sort of thing was just too off putting.

I’m confident that mine is accurate now but for example, at our local club TT, having caught my minute man and put a further 50 seconds on him, his power reading was 330 watts and mine was 260. We both weight the same and he was the one riding a TT rig while I was on a road bike.

One of my club mates had a Stages on his TT bike and, as well as the battery issue, his was consistently 30 watts down, he ended up swapping it for a Quark.

Was that a 10 or a 25? If a 10, off a real 330 watts he should be doing around a 22 (assuming a reasonable course, aero, weight, etc.) If that is the case and you’re putting two minutes into him then you are doing a lot more than 260 watts!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Was that a 10 or a 25

Actually neither, it was a rolling 14.2 miles. I said I was confident in my data purely because I underwent a full fitness test in a lab a few weeks back. They measured my FTP based on lactate threshold with data taken from an SRM static bike. I think it’s as accurate as it gets. That gave me an FTP of 265 watts. I haven’t done a 10 yet (well not since I was 15 anyway) but 265 watts got me a PB of 59:01 in a 25 two weeks ago (again on a road bike with all the expected aero additions).

mrblobby
    Free Member

That gave me an FTP of 265 watts. I haven’t done a 10 yet (well not since I was 15 anyway) but 265 watts got me a PB of 59:01 in a 25 two weeks ago (again on a road bike with all the expected aero additions).

Nice work there 🙂

Sounds like your minute man’s PM was a little on the generous side!

TiRed

I managed to have two fail at the epoxy, the third has been fine, battery life is not the best, but ho hum. Might go with Powertap AAA battery pedals next.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have five mates with them and only one has worked without fault. One fella is on his fifth!

LS
    Free Member

Christ and I thought that the new generation Powertaps were rubbish! 😆
    In contrast: My Power2Max, I got it out of the box, fitted the battery and then the whole lot to the bike and just started riding it. That was a year ago…

schmiken

Both of the Stages I’ve had have been faultless. One got nicked, and the other is still perfect (both XT). They have all calibrated within 2% of both my Powertap and Rotor.

richP

My x9 stages did seem to suffer with the battery issue. Like others battery life on the first battery was good but as soon as I changed it I got battery drain problems. (sometimes overnight…)

I think that this is due to the low power electronics being highly sensitive to humidity even if there is no actual water ingress.

I have found if I do the following when changing the battery then I get similar battery life as for the first battery (i.e a month or two)
    – remove battery and cover and put crank arm in warm, dry place
    – leave for an hour or so
    – replace battery and cover
    – lastly I also apply a thin layer of plasti-dip over the back of the unit covering the battery door

some of this may not be necessary but it seems to have fixed the problems for me.

jumble
    Free Member

Long term PT user and changed to Stages about 18 months ago. I have 2 Stages. One has been replaced due to battery drain issue. I have seen the battery drain quickly on the other at times. My observations:

1. check the battery cover. Twice I have found that there is a tab broken which I did not notice. Once replaced the current battery drain issue resolved
    2. like richP I think that these powermeters are sensitive to humidity, but you can always read about someone who keeps their bike in the airing cupboard who still had battery issues.
    3. with the current firmware and low humidity both my Stages have no battery issues

Both my Stages give very consistent readings and are also consistent with my previous long term PT’s .

Regarding comparing power and TT times with other people. I just don’t think this is a good indication of inaccuracy one way or another as the it depends on so many factors.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

my X9 Stages has been fine for over a year now, although i probably only did 3000km on that bike in the time,

just ignore other peoples power for TT times, just because someone can do 21 off 265W doesn’t mean everyone can

mrblobby
    Free Member

just ignore other peoples power for TT times, just because someone can do 21 off 265W doesn’t mean everyone can

Is quite interesting to see that sort of data though. Check out a decent busy TT course on Strava and you’ll usually find a good sample of real power data. You can get a pretty good idea of how much power you need to go a certain speed if the sample is good enough. Though you do definitely get some that are well outside what you’d expect. Quite a few threads on the time trialling forum too along the lines of “how much power do I need to get under X minutes?” that can be quite amusing 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

“how much power do I need to get under X minutes?”

The thing is, it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask and there should be something like a basic answer even if it’s quickly followed up by ‘but really it’s impossible to say with any measure of accuracy’.

Chris Boardman summed it up really well when he said he never rode a race based on power data, he only ever rode based on feel/perception and then subsequently used the power data to help him adapt and focus his training.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just buy a P2M and get used to changing the battery on a yearly basis.

Doesn’t really matter if the company believes customers are messing up the battery change or whatever, they designed it and should have came up with a more robust product.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Chris Boardman summed it up really well when he said he never rode a race based on power data, he only ever rode based on feel/perception and then subsequently used the power data to help him adapt and focus his training.

I think Chris as always is spot on. My first few TT’s I tried to ride to power, it didn’t go that well. Changed strategy and set the PM to show 10s avg and just gave it the occasional glance, but mostly went by feel, and immediately had a much better race and went a fair bit quicker.

There’s a study somewhere that showed you fatigue quicker too if you try and ride to a power value. That’s been my experience so far.

The thing is, it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask and there should be something like a basic answer even if it’s quickly followed up by ‘but really it’s impossible to say with any measure of accuracy’.

Can be interesting to have a play with Cycling Power Lab. Stick in data from a few events you do, play with the variables, and see what sort of values you get.

Just buy a P2M and get used to changing the battery on a yearly basis.

Been my experience with P2M, Vector and PowerTap.

LS
    Free Member

Tricky one really as although he’s correct to an extent, he’s actually a poor example. Boardman was renowned for having a perfect pacing ability and the ability to expend exactly the right amount of energy well before PMs were around (witness the splits in some of his National HC wins).
    For an amateur like you or me, a PM can be a very useful tool for using to ride at a certain level if you don’t have that innate ability.

adsh
    Free Member

I’m on the new firmware, battery is a week in. Yesterdays glitch has me thinking I may have thrown away working batteries due to tolerance as they always seem to go on XC training which is the bumpiest I do.

It is such a neat power measuring solution that I’m willing to persevere a bit.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Unless the firmware has been changed in the last 3-4 weeks, then I’m on the latest firmware and this is my first battery change (last night), so nothing was wrong with the battery cover.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I have also got 2 mates that have stages bought same time as me both been faultless. Regards power readings I did countless tests on a SRM as I got lucky with easy free access to a Lab & exercise physiologist. Power reading from these correlate exactly to my stages readings. FWIW when I started training with a PM after the reading the Coogan & Hunter book quickly established not to get too hung up on exact numbers or equally pay any attention to anybody else’s. Been training with power for just over a year now and also starting to realise how long it takes to build a decent power profile and then to look for weakness & then train to them. It’s hard bloody work that’s for sure.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

if it was easy they would all be doing it 😉

new firmware was last week

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Well, I’ve had an email from Stages Customer Support since this thread started, so I think thats pretty good.

I didn’t intend that to happen, I just wanted to understand what’s reasonable to expect – whether I was expecting too much or what?

Anyway, I’ll post back when I know more.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How many Stages power meters do I need to try beforeI get one that works?’ is closed to new replies.