Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • how many spacers…………
  • ton

under and over the stem.
    thing is, i always think if you cut the stem to run minimum spacers, you are reducing the resale options of the forks……so how many.

MtbCol
    Free Member

I run 2 under and 1 over the stem. It gives me a little room to mess about with the ride height depending on the terrain I'll be riding on the day.

simondbarnes

Non on top, however many you need underneath to get a nice riding position. Worrying about resale value is mental, spacers above the stem are just wrong.

taka
    Free Member

depending on the fork i have none,2,or 8 on mi mums bike (which needs the steerer cutting)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

MtbCol – Member

I run 2 under and 1 over the stem. It gives me a little room to mess about with the ride height depending on the terrain I'll be riding on the day.

you change the stem height during a ride? why?

pinches
    Free Member

one single 10mm one under the stem. none on top, steerer cut to suit.

spacers on top of the stem is plain wrong

DeeJay
    Free Member

Don't take any notice of Barnes – you be careful with 'my' fork 😉

ton

50mm under and 10mm on top is safe………

firestarter
    Free Member

what ever i need under it to get the bars where i want and nowt on top. (tho i normally leave 10-20mm on top for a few rides just to check ive not measured something wrong)

MtbCol
    Free Member

you change the stem height during a ride? why?

I don't change during the ride. I do it before I go riding. If I'm playing about on a downhill on the big travel bike, I may change it between runs to get a better response from the bike, but longer rides are set and forget.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I get the whole spacer on top thing as it keeps the steerer long so more use to folk when you flog it. loblocks to what it looks like or that other people think its wrong.

I've lost count of the number of forks (SH) I've seen for sale here and Ebay that I can't even consider because the steerer is too short like 185 or something.

I need a long steerer because:
    A) I have large bikes which generally have long head tubes
    B) I like my bars up because I have long legs so need my saddle up or its like riding a BMX

Currently have 30mm of spacers beneath my stem and 10mm above.

I reckon I need a minimum of 200mm. 215mm is better though.

ton

vic, my thoughts too mate………

james
    Free Member

Currently 30mm below (with a 40mm stack stem, so 35mm with another 35mm stack stem) though I now wish I hadn't chopped it so short as I'm having to run a 25 degree 110mm stem to get the bars level with the saddle at pedalling height

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘how many spacers…………’ is closed to new replies.