Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How many people only ride ss?
  • jay91
    Free Member

How many people only ride ss full time just out of curiosity just building up ss inbred and wondered

qwerty
    Free Member

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I do – will have 3 SS bikes shortly – the Corratec Team Bow rigid SS, the hackbike for commuting to the office and rebuilding the Giant FS SS. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Not I. I like SS, but I don’t like it everywhere.

I think it’d do my nut in on a full sus.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Have done for the last 18 months on both mtb and cx bikes, but have just put gears on the mountain bike. Reason being I am training for a duathlon and racing it on a ss would put me at a disadvantage. I have also had some tendinitis issues from running so gears might help a bit.

Overall I’ve been fine with it, but did struggle in the lakes in the summer. Ridden places like afan, Cannock etc with no problems.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Got gears for the first time in 10 years last year.
    And am getting full suspension for the first time in 12 years very soon.
    I am disappoint. 😳

Markie
    Free Member

Whatever number you’re at plus one. Unless I was counted earlier, of course.

Edit: ooh, sweet, free, premier P!

mick_r

Pretty much always ss for the last +10 years – including regular stuff in Lakes, Scotland, trail centres etc. Only add a few sprockets or an Alfine / Sturmey hub if going to places like the Alps.

The only real pain is mtb rides with significant road sections (can be frustratingly slow and tend to get cold if the weather is bad).

Probably admit defeat in the next few years once 1×11 has trickled down to sensible prices.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I used to but I like variety and it didn’t suit a fs bike nor my road bikes.

_tom_
    Free Member

I would do but I don’t think I have the legs to carry myself, the bike and the chip on the shoulder that comes with it 😛

Seriously though I do really like SS (2 of my bikes are singlespeed and I’m planning a ss road build when funds allow) but it gets annoying when you top out and I don’t think I’d want it on a full sus unless it was DH only and I had a really hard gear.

singlespeedstu

qwerty – Member

3752 now as i’m split 50-50 between gears and ss these days. 😳

ontor
    Free Member

yes till last year when i built the alfine 29er.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Singlespeed is definitely my go too bike, and pretty much every ride for me starts with the steep road climb up loughrigg, for everything apart from that bit I think I have a better time ss. I keep a geared bike though just for when I go out with mates, and possible trips abroad, riding helvelyn on a rigid ss isn’t much fun when everyone else is on am bikes.

Depending on where you live, and who you ride with it’s mega.

kcal

would say bulk of my riding is on a SS bike. But not exclusively. Cross bike suffered a mech failure recently, has been converted to SS for now anyway, over the winter, and I’m thinking, hm, this is quite good too. So that makes 75% of bikes SS in one form or another, mileage isn’t quite that split, maybe 2/3…1/3.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1

90% at least, gears actualy feel like harder work round here with lots of short sharp inclines, easier just to adjust cadence than try and get into any sort of rythym.

ski
    Free Member

3 bikes all SS/fixed since SSUK08 or was it 09? 😉

I am a plodder, speed is not my thing, making it to the top of climbs is all the reward I need.

Anyway, little bit excited, just bought another sh Pompino to commute to work on, the pomp. was the only bike I regretted selling and I am so glad to get back on another, so much fun…

If you ever get a chance to try a Pompino, do it!

TiRed

Off road: SS full time (32:17 on a 26er), although I do have an Alfine hub as well that is almost unused.
    On road: Fixed for commuting and winter, gears for racing and club rides

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

I tried for a little while, never really enjoyed it, covered more miles quicker and more enjoyable on geared, settled for 1×10 now and happy as can be. To be fair though it was a steel rigid 26er with v brakes…

Keef
    Free Member

me.

nickc

Was for ohhh 3-4 years and then pretty much every winter. Wanting to keep up with my riding buddy who was constantly going faster finally made me ride gears all the time.

Hohum
    Free Member

Last time I rode SS was 30 years ago on my BMX.

takisawa2

Had my Niner 2 years & that’s never had gears on.
    Had an Inbred before that that occasionally had 1×10.
    I’m a lazy sod when it comes to maintainance, so it suits me. On the bike, I just find it easier.
    Doesn’t suit everyone though.
    I did build a 1×10 FS last summer but hated every one of the 120 minutes I spent on it, before it got sold.

jay91
    Free Member

Good to see how many People only ride ss fair play to you lot!

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have tried a couple of MTB SS set ups (26er and 29er) and whilst I love the simplicity and the weight saving I cannot get past the fact that I am a spinner not a masher. So on any of the steep climbs that take you places worth going I always found myself not enjoying the experience, grinding away and eventually getting off. I hate getting off.

Doesn’t mean I won’t build another though. There is just something about them….

Clink

90% of my off-road has been ss for about 10 years, with occasional dabbles with geared bikes.

I ride a geared bike to work/on the road, but have just started using my ss Roadrat again which I am loving.

There are times when spinning is frustrating, but overall I prefer the sit and spin/stand and honk approach to gears (especially when I beat a geared roadie up a climb like today!).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How many people only ride ss?’ is closed to new replies.