• This topic has 36 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How Many People Only Ride Full Suss?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

After reading the ‘How many people only ride HT?’ I’m scared I’ve do the wrong thing.

After 3 1/2 years on a short travel HT (Charge Blender) ridding it on everything 4X, mini DH, trails etc, I’ve started to ride more xt/trail I wanted something more comfortable and suited to trail ridding. So I’ve picked up a Five as it came alone at the right price…this has ment me having to sell the HT, now although not the end of the world someone reasure me I’ll have fun and that I’ve done the right thing…..other wise I’ll sell the frame and buy a slackline 631.

tmb467
    Free Member

Think the rules are that you have to have both..,

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have two mtb’s – both full suss.
    I bought a Marin Mount Vision back in January 2004, when the full suss world was very different. A 100mm full susser was ideal for me, light(ish) weight and comfortable for all day rides etc. I thought i’d never need anything else.
    However, as full sussers and the styles changed i came to want something a bit burlier and with more travel – a playbike if you will.
    I bought a 2009 model Marin Wolf Ridge in May 2010 for £1000 off the list price as i loved the sus design. It’s revolutionised my riding to be honest, so much fun that it’s the first bike i reach for even when the Mount Vision would be enough bike for the route i’m taking.

It’s nice to have the choice, and when i do get back on the Mount Vision i’m always pleasantly surprised at how nimble and quick it is!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gribs

Mountain bike wise I have a fs and a ht but the ht hasn’t been ridden this year. My road bike gets used fairly often though.

b45her
    Free Member

un-sprung back ends are for the road, hardtails are peasants bikes for poor people.

_tom_
    Free Member

I did for about a year, then got hardtail curious again and still cant decide which I prefer! Tbh I would probably be happy with a Blender as my only bike. Im tempted to sell my ht and fs and get a ti blender.

br
    Free Member

hardtails are peasants bikes for poor people.

I though it was, aluminium and carbon bikes were for poor people?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anything worth riding on a full susser in the uk. May as well have been on the road, no challenge. That was 15 years ago on an GT LTS with under 5 inches of travel. I’d hate to think what today’s skill compensators feel like and now with 29 inch wheels to smooth it further. No wonder every second thread on here is about road bikes.

theraggyone
    Free Member

I only have space for one bike so my banshee spitfire gets used for everything from commutes and xc rides to trips to bike parks .it might be to much bike for 60% of what I use it for but I brought it to fit the part of my riding I most enjoy, trail riding and bike parks .having to use it for commutes and xc is good exercise and tbh it handles both fine .I wouldnt have any other bike:)

moonboy
    Free Member

Have one of each. Like riding both. Tis all bikes

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’ve only got the room and money for one bike. This bike is an Orange Five and it does everything from DH to a bitta commuting.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Only got the time and money for one bike so it’s a full suss. Otherwise I’d be forever posting those annoying ‘what for such and such’ threads.

edlong
    Free Member

Similar to golfchick, for me N=1, and it bounces at both ends.

I might be a bit overbiked on the commute, but so what?

vondally
    Free Member

since 1997 and santa cruz heckler…….been hardtail curious over the years but knackered neck and back means I retrun to full suss

currently 29er rocky mountain

chakaping
    Free Member

someone reasure me I’ll have fun and that I’ve done the right thing

You’ll have fun and you’ve done the right thing.

And if not, at least you’ll have found out for yourself instead of taking the word of a bunch of over-opinionated internet warriors.

Couldn’t find anything worth riding on a full susser in the uk. May as well have been on the road, no challenge. That was 15 years ago on an GT LTS

You are GW and I claim my £5.

b45her
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anything worth riding on a full susser in the uk. May as well have been on the road, no challenge. That was 15 years ago on an GT LTS with under 5 inches of travel. I’d hate to think what today’s skill compensators feel like and now with 29 inch wheels to smooth it further. No wonder every second thread on here is about road bikes.

watch out everyone, we have a badass in our midst. or someone who is so slow he doesn’t hit things hard enough to move the suspension on a bike.

NormalMan

I do.

Sold my HT to a mate who kept asking about it. Just didn’t ride it as my fs is lighter and suited me more.

ajr
    Free Member

Have only ridden an fs bike since 1995.

I have both, but….

The old steel Kona is only used for shop/pub duties and if the FS is out of action. It copes, but I have much more fun on the FS (170mm front, 150mm rear, 780mm bars, dropper post 30lb carbon S-Works Enduro SL) – was out on it for 4hrs yesterday with a fair amount of climbing/hike-a-bike and it didn’t become tiresome.

Still, thinking about building a LT HT for winter though.

chestrockwell

I have both but use my 5 99% of the time. It just does everything well for me.

sharkattack

Couldn’t find anything worth riding on a full susser in the uk.

This is a joke right?

ddmonkey

I only ride a full sus now. Hardtails are fun but everything hurts too much afterwards now.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve never had a proper go on a full susser!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I had a proflex 856 once, and a orange 5 and a trek ex8- I’m just as slow on my fully rigid ht!

ask1974
    Free Member

Just the full suss. For me it’s simple, I want to ride fast. Now of course a HT is fast but it will never allow you (OK me to avoid an argument) to attack a trail like a full suss can, call it skill compensation if you like but knowing your bike will take a hit or two on your behalf is confidence inspiring.

Sounds like you ride some fun trials, take your Five and give your favourite trails some anger and see if it makes you a little more crazy, if it doesn’t you don’t need it.

mjsmke

I can only afford one mtb for myself so i have a 115/100mm full suss. If i could afford 2 mtb’s i’d still rather have one really nice full sus.

sharkattack

I only ride full sus because I like to ride as fast as possible on the steepest, roughest, gnarliest trails I can find. I don’t bimble around on bridleways and I’m not scared of drops and jumps. The extra speed and grip is amazing.

It’s a well known internet truism that STW has a high percentage of middle aged mincers that would just get their skirts stuck in the linkages. And people who use the phrase ‘skills compensators’, well I can’t even imagine what neurosis they’re suffering from.

This message was brought to you in part by Pilsner Urquell.

transporter13
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of different ht’s and full sussers. Personally prefer the full suss I’m on at the moment. It’s been the cheapest bike I’ve owned but also the most fun to ride overall. Sure I’ve had better bikes for certain disciplines but this one does everything I need/want it to do with no issues for nigh on 2 years other than replacement chains and cassettes.

It’s an upgraded mongoose otero elite from 2007 8)

carlos
    Free Member

Yup, Mtb’s a Full susser and also got a Roadie

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve only ever been able to have (afford) 1 bike at a time and I’m now on a full suss. I enjoy it much more than a hardtail as I’m now enjoying going down much more than up so don’t mind the extra weight and my bike has gained a bit of weight to make going more fun (36 vanilla’s, dropper post etc).

richardk
    Free Member

2004 Stumpy as only MTB. suits my style of riding, if it ever breaks, I’ll replace with something similar.

rentachimp
    Free Member

I’ve pretty much only ridden my full suss (Ghost AMR 5900) over the past 6 months. Had slicks on my hardtail (Ghost SE 5000) for the (short) commute, but just grab the full suss as it’s lighter, and the dropper is handy when waiting at red lights 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

Fun haters are crap. I would give up if I had to ride them.

northernerindevon

2 full sussers and a hardtail SS for the niche. Would like a geared HT now as well, along with a roadbike. Tis all bikes, tis all good but if I was only able to have a single bike – it would be full suss. Skills compensators my a**e! Bl**dy good fun. Isn’t that what it’s about? 8)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I go through phases, but as it stands I’ve pretty much always had a FS and that’s the only MTB I have now, a short travel XC 29’er.

It doesn’t weigh much more than my last ht (a kinesis FF29 at around 23lbs) has more traction and is more comfortable over long distances. It’s also faster, which is nice.

robj20
    Free Member

Just got the Nomad, i ride everything on it and never feel the need for another bike.

jedi

i only ride either my bandit or bottlerocket. i dont own a hardtail anymore

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How Many People Only Ride Full Suss?’ is closed to new replies.