Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • How many people only ride a hardtail?
  • alpin
    Free Member

fähigkeiten statt federweg….

that’s german, BTW… google it if you want.

brooess
    Free Member

Pulled my Five apart and sold all the bits this year. A well-used and well-loved bike but slow uphill and more bike than I need for Surrey Hills – my Soul often felt more fun and faster in the twisty stuff.

The Five was great for the Lakes but I barely go up there now. Down South it just anaesthesises the trail.

matt_outandabout

Yep, went from Sub5 and ST4 to HT’s – I have only ever had one bike at a time. Sanderson is the only thing I have. I don’t miss the extra cleaning, changing bearings or cost of shock servicing.
    And at Glentress today, I seemed as fast as many others…
    It nips uphill as well.

deviant
    Free Member

Hardtail only here too.
    FS got stolen and I haven’t restarted racing so didn’t see the point in spending mega bucks on an enduro type bike for a while.
    Got a cheap 456-evo and if anything I’m more adventurous on this bike as I’m less precious about it getting bashed up.
    I’m even tempted to enter some gravity enduro on it such is the laugh I’m having riding hardtails again.

vickypea
    Free Member

Me too, never had a FS. I love my HT and it’s fine for the rides I do.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Now all I need to do is decide on a Slackline 631 or wait for the Alpine MK3.

Decisions decisions.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at doing the exact same… i love my Five but its never ridden to its full potential and i need the money. I tend to either ride my cross bike local or my Krampus on the moors. I really don’t need an FS bike sat in the garage. But i must admit i’m finding it hard to bite the bullet and write the classified’s ad.

bohngy
    Free Member

I had bike acquisition syndrome about 6 years back, rigorously adhering to the maximumBikes = n+1 rule.
    carbon HTs, full sussers all of a racy XC flavour.

Then I hurt my knee and it kept me off the bike since then. In the interim I sold all my super-expensive gear and put together a old RockLobster HT. After I got over the shock…. and got rid of my bike snobbery I’ve really grown to love it. Sure it’s old an unfashionable but it goes like a rocket.

Now I’m beginning to ride again and I don’t want to replace it! I overtook a couple of riders on snazzy 29ers yesterday and just as I cleared the front wheel of the frontmost guy I heard him say to his friend “Shouldn’t have sold my 26er!”…. enter smug mode.

So! Benny’s important sunday moral. “Try it, you might surprise yourself and like it!”

…..if not, you can buy another one when cash is a little more numerous!

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’m a HT only person.
    It’s not usually the HT that slows me down.

winch
    Free Member

Now all I need to do is decide on a Slackline 631 or wait for the Alpine MK3.

Tricky decision that. I’ve got a MK3 Alpine on order. The wait is killing me! Shouldn’t be too long now though 😀

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah I was all but paying the deposit after deciding on the mk3 in orange when I realised the Slackline has a 44mm headset.

Plus I can have it by Wednesday. Waiting till the 29th will kill me 🙁

stevede
    Free Member

Love the geometry of my slackline, run mine with a 36 float spaced down to 140mm which keeps it slack enough without jacking the bb up too much. Mines the ti version but I’m sure the 631 version will still be pretty good. Really confidence inspiring – ride Gawton on mine quite often and for those that know gawton I was hitting the second road gap on super tavi on just my second trip there on it. Love it on the steep, tight, techy stuff.
    Op – I’m pretty sure the alpine will be sweet as but you’ll definately not be putting a foot wrong getting a slackline.

winch
    Free Member

I’d paid my deposit by the time I realised the Slackline got the 44mm headtube. Otherwise I’d probably be riding one now since my old Soul is now cracked at the headtube as well as the seat stay and not being able to ride it is doing my head in!

The pain of waiting will disappear quick enough on delivery day!

singlespeedstu

These hardtail V full suss threads aren’t what they used to be.
    I blame it all on the different wheelsize debates bitching threads. 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I just don’t know if I can wait. Wonder when the first delivery will go out.

I’ve wanted an Alpine for ages but the Slackline looks great on paper too.

Hmmmmmm

billyboy
    Free Member

I’ve been riding hardtails only since 2007 and loved it

BUT

Then my knee cocked up and I had to have an op

and now I find full susserrs are way less aggro on my knee

so I’m back to full sussers

TiRed

Went from rigid 29er to HT 26er. Never had a FS. But Son1 has an Anthem X, and I have to say it does make things a lot easier. I still struggle with the soggy feel and slack head angle. But it is a lovely ride.

If I were to have two mtbs, I foresee a short travel 29er FS for speed and my Genesis io(id) as a HT SS. My rigid days are probably over. Must be old age.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I have a cheap Hardtail (Carrera Vulcan) with some 120mm Suntour Epicons on it and full SLX groupset. For me it does everything I need it too. It hurts my knee when I do any sort of jump but that’s because I have a knee injury. But on my local trails I love how it’s so easy through twisty woodland trails. I’m not into this whole rocky technical descents etc.

If I was to get a full suss in the future it will only be for comfort.

Andy-R

Since 1988 I’ve only ever ridden steel framed rigid and hardtail bikes. However, 18 months ago I bought a s/h Trek Top Fuel 69er,just because I always wanted one. Since then, I reckon that I’ve ridden it maybe half a dozen times and always end up feeling decidedly underwhelmed, although I’ve tried to love the poor thing, I really have.
    On the other hand, my two Singular Hummingbirds (one rigid 69er singlespeed and one Alfine 8 with Mavericks) never fail to give me something to smile about.
    So does my ’88 Explosif, for that matter.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

I only have the one bike and it’s a HT. Would love a FS as well, but don’t ride enough to justify having two bikes.

clanton
    Free Member

Hard tail only – Cotic Soul as my main bike, I also have a Cotic Simple (26″) which I usually run rigid.
    I had a full suss (Scott Genius) which I kept breaking and moved to a fairly bombproof hardtail as a result.
    It is great for 95% of the riding I do, and keeps the trails local to me exciting and intertesting.
    I do occasionally hanker after a full susser again, but the upkeep/maintenance costs and hassle put me off. That and the price! Hard to justify as it would be used pretty infrequently.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I sold my Five after buying a Holeshot – the crossover was too much.

I intend to get an Alpine 160 at some point, but in the past year I’ve only missed the Five when I’ve gone somewhere with large, proper mountains.

mattjg
    Free Member

I do occasionally hanker after a full susser again, but the upkeep/maintenance costs and hassle put me off. That and the price! Hard to justify as it would be used pretty infrequently.

Amen, current plan if I go somewhere that “needs” an FS is to rent one. Tho the logistics of that, when I’m with a group who have their bikes with them, may not work out.

I’m currently (mostly) riding a Canfield Yelli Screamy with Arch Ex rims. Another plan would be to buy a set of wheels with wider rims (eg Flows) to put bigger tyres on, at low pressure, when I go somewhere rocky. They won’t get a lot of use … but they’ll hold their value, and still come out 10% the cost of a good FSer.

xiphon
    Free Member

Having done a DH endurance event – at Fort Bill – on a hardtail, it changed my perspective of what could be done with only 120mm of bounce at the front….

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

You dont need a FS to ride the majority of trails here in the UK. You may miss your five occasionally but you dont need FS to ride here. FS is just different. Bikes are bikes. End of.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How many people only ride a hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.