Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • How many people on here don't actually ride an MTB?
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Have two two MTBs (SB5c & 601) but its been 7 weeks since I touched either as I’ve broken my collarbone. Work from home and live near some OK trails so I’m usually a 50-80km a week rider.
    Road bikes are popular where I live, Lantau Island but I just don’t trust the car/lorry drivers here, there are a lot of fatalities involving roadies.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m wondering on the reasons for picking up the road bike as the easier option.

Is it because of the faff involved with MTB with possibly more kit perceived needed to carry and the clean up post mud ride?

And then many have said about not being close to trails, and in which case are you exclusively a trails/trail centre/singletrack rider or can you do some xc? Bridleways, paths, towpaths about?

I ride whatever and quite enjoy a local pootle as much as ripping around singletrack. Though I am lucky in having a huge amount of common land about. I keep finding more each week, even just small bits dotted around and then link them all up. Though plenty I know in the area say they have to drive miles to trails to ride because they’re only interested in the singletrack. To me I see singletrack all over the place, just they may not have been built for bikes, but they’re tracks that are the width of a bike.

Also enjoy a bit of urban off road. Has to be done more at night but loads of laughs. Paths between houses, local parks, through business parks, and empty multi story car parks are fun (if all cheeky) 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Riofer motivation and energy are related. Just try and get out for 20-30 mins twice a week. I suffer the same as having lived in Surrey Hills with excellent trails literally from doorstep and a big garage to keep everything in. I now have so-so road/gravel track riding from my door or 45mins drive to ok-ish trails and bike kept in bags disassembled so even a doorstep ride is 20 mins of phaffing.

Having said all that its well worth getting out even just for a short time. The energy will come back and thats good for life in general. Then your motivation will improve as you’ll feel better and can do more.

@dk yes thats the road bike logic. Less cleaning (none), from the front door and also better if there isn’t much countryside or elevation locally. I need 3 hoirs to do a 1 hr mtb ride when you add in driving, assemble, clean, disassemble. You can also get a half decent road bike for £500.

phil40
    Free Member

I am riding my Mtb more and more!

I started cycle commuting last September, and I think because I am doing 2hrs road riding 3 or 4 days a week the last thing I want to do is ride on the road again! Much happier playing on my Mtb! I tried a couple of sportives this year, I really like chatting to my mates as we rode and the off road sections (tour of the Black Country) but I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was on my way to work 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m actually a lot fitter now I’m road riding, three yrs ago I doubt very much I’d have been able to attempt centuries in the Dales for example. The faff associated with mtb does put me off for some reason even though the pack is permanently ready & just needs the water bladder.
    Another reason/excuse is my horribly arthritic thumbs, the use of shifters is quite painful whereas Shimano road shifting with fingers is more comfortable.

EDIT: thing is, I do actually live near decent trails and elevation in the Pennines.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘How many people on here don't actually ride an MTB?’ is closed to new replies.