Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • How many people have one of these Large volume Air Shocks…
  • cookeaa

…and found they needed a volume reducer?

And more to the point why?

Is it due to the shock feeling a bit too plush or “wallowy”, not progressive enough when climbing, and/or did it just blow through it’s travel too much when descending?

Just out of curiosity…

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve got one, and I intend to fit a reducer. Uses the travel up too easily so I have to set a bit less sag than I’d like to.

continuity
    Free Member

Most people do it because the large volume makes the shock blow through the beginning and midstroke too easily.

Adding the spacer increases the spring compression rate, so it ramps up more.

toys19
    Free Member

I think they were designed for people who are at the perfect bmi.

tops5
    Free Member

Toys have you got one on your Covert? Have always thought I get full travel too easily

toys19
    Free Member

I replaced mine with a small volume can 21greenqueens from mojo. Massive difference. But I am a fat bastard.

tops5
    Free Member

How fat mate? 13.5 – 14st here depending on CBA/diet at time of weighing – do you think I would benefit? Don’t bottom out very often but O ring is always at the end of the shaft even on boring rides.

Is it a diy job?

toys19
    Free Member

14st. yup it just felt mega wallowy. The test is
    1: set the sag at 25-33% depending on preference..
    2: if the pressure required to get sag right makes the shock ridiculously firm then you need a smaller can..

z1ppy

I was lent a Hi volume shock, and bought a low volume one for my bike and the difference was night and day. It was more to do with feel/ride than bottom out though, if this is the case have you reduced your sag to 25%

Swapping an air can is very easy, the hardest part will be removing the mounting hardware (and that isn’t very hard)

GlennG
    Free Member

Tops5

Same weight as you and was blowing through the travel on my Devinci Dixon too easily, fitted the medium size fox reducer (piece of p1ss to fit and some good you tube footage available on how to do it, didnt need to take shock off the bike). Made a huge difference, can set the sag correctly without blowing through all the travel too easily, well worth the £20 for the kit (kit comes with 3 different size reducers and fox fluid)

toys19
    Free Member

doh sorry forgot to answer that. yes easy to do on covert tops5, as the mounts are 22.2mm so the can slips over, no need to take them off!
    Just deflate, then take the valve core out to be sure.
    Unscrew can by hand, screw new can on, reflate. stick back on bike. ride till the end of time.

toys19
    Free Member

this is true the volume reducer kit is probs a better idea than a smaller can, as you don’t have to take shock off and you can expt with diff volumes.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have one on my covert and have fitted a medium spacer. Found I was blowing through the travel too quickly and like a more progressive feeling on my bike.

Lazymike
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Cube Stereo and have just stuck in the largest volume spacer. Not had a chance to give it a go yet. I’m relatively light (10 1/2 stone without kit) but still found I blew through the travel. I’ve noticed that the 2012 Cube Stereos seem to come with a regular sized can so I think Cube must have realised there was an issue. Makes you wonder why it was spec’ed in the first place.

james
    Free Member

Am on a high volume monarch. I thought I was being picky but it does blow through the travel too easily. Anyone know if you can get volume reducers for rockshox like these fox ones?

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

I’ve got a HV can and still can’t blow through the travel. Then I’m skin and bones.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I put spacers in mine, convinced friends to try it out, they were also converted.

I must admit on high speed chatter a HV felt better, just blew through the travel on any good hits though.

I think companies have done it to give people you don’t hit stuff hard enough that “plush” ( 🙄 ) feeling.

tops5
    Free Member

Thanks guys deffo worth a go – hope I don’t lose that super plush feeling though

Moon on a stick eh? 🙂

mysterymove
    Free Member

Hmm interesteing – anyone tried this on an Orange Five?

I’m below perfect BMI and still pushing through the travel to easily. thought it was because i hadn’t got the shock set up quite dialed in. may try a spacer…

proberts
    Free Member

I had the same issue with my HV RP23 on my Mojo, it was going through the whole of the shock travel dropping off a curb and felt wallowy, I weigh 12ish stone..get a large spacer washer from mojo or TF and fit it yourself, instructions are on Mojo website

fuzzhead
    Free Member

15ish stone here – had a stock XV BV RP23 on my Blood. 25% sag meant blowing through the travel super easy – making the ride wallowy like a 50s Cadillac and hard cornering “interesting”….
    Swapped out for a normal air can 18 months ago. Running the standard can means I can run more sag (35%ish) + more compression to get the ride feel I like.
    The only reason I can see for the XV cans are for light(er) riders and the “parking lot test”, but performance seems crappy IME

tops5
    Free Member

Out of stock at Mojo
    http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Air_Spring_Volume_Tuning_Kit.html

and can’t see them on TFT any ideas?

deanfbm
    Free Member

You can use various packing materials to fill the XV can that sits outside the main one. It’s a real easy job too, one clip.

You can use grease, plastic sheet, just something that isn’t compressible.

cookeaa

Cheers all some interesting responses, I only really wondered as there seem to have been lots of “Have you got a HV can? if so fit a volume reducer” answers to many questions of late…

How many people are running these on ~5″+ bikes?

Is there any sort of corelation between high volume cans needing reducers and amount of travel or a frames compression ratio?

I must admit the thinking behind installing High volume cans has not quite been made clear to me, I always assumed (Wrongly it seems) that the intent was to make an air shock that would allow the rear wheel to track the ground better for descents and could rely on (switchable?) compression damping features (like propedal or similar) to control shock movement for climbing etc, making a more DH capable 140-170mm “AM/Enduro” bike with air springs a more viable option.
    sounds like it’s more about achieving proper sag for lighter riders maybe?

Still makes me wonder if there would be any value in a shock with a “Variable spring volume” something with a secondary volume connected via a swichable valve that could effectively be added or remmoved from the main spring volume depending on what terrain you were planning on tackling ie reduced volume for climbs and flat sections, high volumes for descents, Hmmm…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

holy thread resurrection batman!

Another question on volume adjusters: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fox-volume-adjust-spacers?replies=3#post-3844819

As someone up there was talking about the XV can mod and packing it with stuff, with regard to the XV can, does anyone know if the circlip does anything, mine’s definitely not doing anything, it’s just loose on the shaft, should it sit in a groove somewhere and keep the XV can firmly in place?

philfive
    Free Member

My rp23 has a medium compression, do I just put one of these spacers on with the medium compression one in place?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The ‘medium compression’ is in the damping, not the spring.

Jamesy
    Free Member

does anyone know who has these reducers in stock?

Konastoner
    Free Member

I had a HV RP2 on my 09 Enduro SL, it was fine. Used it as nature intended and never found the need to tinker (for a change!) 😀

Yes it bottomed out occasionally (especially in Morzine!) but isn’t that was suspension is for?

Jamesy
    Free Member

they do make a difference …. ive tried a new cube stereo with a smaller can and they feel more progressive compared to my stereo with HV Rp23. The difference is night and day… i need to find a shop with the reducers in stock though !!!!

found

foxspares.com any good?

stevede
    Free Member

I have the medium spacer fitted to the rp23 on my five, my mate has had the small spacer off me for his five, if anyone who can’t find stock wants the large one you can have mine. The kit comes with all 3 and i’m happy the medium has done the trick for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

LOCO has/had them, got mine last week.

Jamesy
    Free Member

hopefully he’s reading this thread 🙂

lister11
    Free Member

Loco sorted me out a few weeks ago for the large can on my dune. Still didnt feel it did enough though so mojo have it now for a retune. I’m only 70kgs too!

boltonjon

OK, I’m confused!

My recently bought frame came with a extra Large can to compliment the standard can on the RP23 shock

I was told that the bigger can would provide a more progressive spring

I ride a 140mm frame, I’m about 93kg and ride my bike very hard on big terrain. I run the sag at 30% and rarely bottom the suspension out

Would a bigger can help me utilise more suspension travel more often or just bottom out more?

Really – in a question – what are the advantages of running a bigger can?

Thanks

Jon

Jamesy
    Free Member

Phoned loco had brought the last one in stock 🙂

Thanks for the recomendation

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was told that the bigger can would provide a more progressive spring

It makes is LESS progressive with the big can.

I’m finding it better with the big can and the medium spacer, but it’s dependant on you, your weight and riding, and the bikes supension design. But id does sound like you’ve got the same problem as me (running lots of sag but still not bottoming out), in which case the high volume shock might help. If you’ve got it, try it, it’s a 5 minute job to swap the air cans.

Jamesy
    Free Member

Im 13.5st – 14st and my bikes a cube stereo hv boost valve any ideas on which spacer to try fitst ?

boltonjon

Thanks Thisisnotaspoon 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

9 stone, Marin Wolf Ridge 6.8 and a Float RP23 with large air can.

Perfectly fine for me, doesn’t seem to blow through the travel but does seem to have a lot of travel at the same time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘How many people have one of these Large volume Air Shocks…’ is closed to new replies.