• This topic has 71 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cozz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • how many people get caught with 1000W pedalecs?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

My daft brother just bought one of those bafang BBSHD 1000W efforts. Comes this weekend apparently.

Is he going to jail? 😆

scaredypants

nah, burns unit I’m guessing

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve warned him to be careful, he’s a big fat guy, so convinced he needs the torque!

Some bloke near me uses one. Bleeding obvious judging by the speed he goes uphill and the size of the hub motor.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Does he have to pedal to make it go or is there a throttle ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

points on licence if caught…

seosamh77
    Free Member

dunno tbh all I know about it is this

BBS HD1000 – Bafang Mid Drive
    Bafang has developed a new heavy duty, high performance mid drive motor that surpasses the performance of the BBS02. The BBS-HD (Also referred to as BBS03 or BBS-X) is a 1,000W nominal, 1,600W peak output monster of a mid-drive conversion kit, now with factory options for normal 68-73mm cranks as well as wider fat bike cranks (factory order). With 160Nm of torque, 30 Amp 12 MOSFET controller, and the choice of 2 high-drain Samsung cell battery packs, this conversion kit is the most powerful universal DIY mid drive on the market

He’s got it with a shady fat bike to go with it, kit was the same price more or less.

I’m bursting for a shot of it mind you! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    points on licence if caught…

Aye I’ve warned him. I’m more concerned about how he rides the thing though, not been able to ride a bike for years, so he’ll need to watch how he rides the thing.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Sounds brilliant fun. Everyone who has rode my legal 250w ebike has come back with a big grin. I bet a 1000w is a real hoot!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ride it like a dick and probably more, as they become more common probably more especially if it has a handy 1000w sign on it. I’d expect some agro once a few crashes come in and the daily angry’s get involved too. Probably a good thing as it’s basically aiming for electric motorbike with none of the considerations that one would need. So also expect a bit of fuss when the scooter/small Motorbike lot get involved.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t understand the power limit my self .

If it’s speed limited to 15.5mph then why does it matter what power? Other than some one wrote down a catch all figure
    Probably because they had too, if you are the sort of person who would derestrict the power or buy a higher power then whats to stop you doing the mod on the speed sensor.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Probably because they had too, if you are the sort of person who would derestrict the power or buy a higher power then whats to stop you doing the mod on the speed sensor.

Using that approach we wouldn’t just have speed limits for cars, we’d have power limits too. Seems a poorly thought out way of controlling the use of these things, particularly when they could be a real alternative to driving for a lot of people.

tjagain

250w is plenty for a bike restricted to 16mph. the only point in having 1000W is to go faster.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Seems a poorly thought out way of controlling the use of these things, particularly when they could be a real alternative to driving for a lot of people.

Many things you can do and why is 250w not enough? I’d probably see it as more of a holding pattern as something needed doing at the start. Pedal assist goes one way and stays within sensible limits, want to go beyond then go see the DVLA etc.
    https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

250w is plenty for a bike restricted to 16mph. the only point in having 1000W is to go faster.

Or, as alluded to by trail rat, if you want to fit it to a cargo bike used to cart serious loads around.

If there’s a speed limit, there shouldn’t be a need for a power limit. If the speed limit isn’t effective, the policing needs to be better.

twisty

Using that approach we wouldn’t just have speed limits for cars, we’d have power limits too. Seems a poorly thought out way of controlling the use of these things, particularly when they could be a real alternative to driving for a lot of people.

250W is plenty for a bicycle.
    The problem is that unless it is a mid block drive then a 250W motor will struggle on an incline where the 250W motor is not able to deliver the rated 250W because it is turning over well below its rated speed.

There is nothing stopping people from making electric scooters that require CBT to operate.

Dickyboy

Saw someone riding one of those Bultaco electric bikes on the road the other day – shit’s gonna hit the fan one day 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus it’s supposed to be 250w of pedal assist, so add on your power to that.

wilburt
    Free Member
    andermt
    Free Member

Saw a few E-Bikes around in Belgium at the weekend and was talking to a friend about it.

Seems the Belgians have set a limit of 25km/h, anything above that needs a number plate, brake light, insurance, helmet, etc!

Oh, and min age of 16.

njee20
    Free Member

There is nothing stopping people from making electric scooters that require CBT to operate.

But they’d then have to be road legal or only be used on private land. Neither of which is what will happen.

mattsccm
    Free Member

“we’d have power limits too.”
    Cars that is. And WTFN we don’t need much really.
    More to the point I feel that the whole idea behind a limited electric power is to keep these machines comparable with cycles.
    If you want to run electric and have speed and power why not have something legal. The day I can do 50 miles, with say 40mph as a top speed I’ll have such a bit of kit. If it needs a licence, so what.
    The time will come, because of people pushing their luck when landowner will ban electric bikes. They have to as the powerful ones are motorcycles. The FC will jump on board with that soon otherwise they face problems with discrimination. Why should powerful electric bikes be allowed but not gutless petrol engine ones.
    I see the fun with electric but also see that those who wish to break the rules are inconsiderate or just fit nicely into our modern society that says that our own views and demands are more important that those of others.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What speed can these 1000W versions do? More than 30mph?

How long are the pricey motors and battery cells guaranteed for and how are they holding up long term?

I would be more than happy to have these on the road without the 15.5mph limit (which at least some can do with the press of a few buttons), providing the user has to go through the same CBT/license as a low end motorbike and has to have the same level of insurance and MOTs.

scruff9252

Arn’t we looking at e-bikes from the wrong perspective here? Intead of putting blockers in place to thier widescale uptake, should we not be looking at ways to encourage thier use more widespread?

My neighbour has one, he has no real interest in cycling, but his resteraunt is 3 – 4 miles away accross town. Now he dashes back and forth often wIth the electic bike, he uses that far more often than his van.

As far as I can see, it’s one more ‘cyclist’ on the road and one less car/van off the road.

What we should be striving for is getting lots of teenagers to have electric bikes and their use being as wide spread as mopeds on the continent. The benefits are threefold,
    1) Future generations of road users will be more aware of vunerable road users.
    2) Less rush into buying expesive cars when they turn 17/18 as the electric bike will be sufficient for most journeys.
    3) An increase in the number of “cyclists” on the road will result in safer cycling for all involved.

That is all before you look at the environmental benefits of shifting combustion engines out of cities. There is also an addred benefit of increasiting the batery storage availability within the grid to speed up the uptake of smart grids / smooth out renewable power generation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scruff9252 – Member
    Arn’t we looking at e-bikes from the wrong perspective here? Intead of putting blockers in place to thier widescale uptake, should we not be looking at ways to encourage thier use more widespread?

Or do it properly, work out what they are, set regulation accordingly. If it’s a moped on bike wheels then it’s a moped etc.
    There seems to be 2 approaches these days Uber etc. which is just bend/break the laws, exploit loopholes and insist on change or to do things properly.

Firstly how much power is needed? 250w is a fair bit for a solo bike. Any more and your into something that is a lot more powerful than the tech was designed for.
    How fast is a bike going? How fast is a motorised bike going? Get it wrong and bikes end up under the harsher restrictions.
    There don’t seem to be many blocks in place just lots of people go by bigger numbers = better.
    That’s before we get to off road use…

midlifecrashes

Marginal gains, innit?

gobuchul
    Free Member

There’s nothing to stop you having a more powerful electric bike, just becomes a motor cycle with the other requirements, mot, insurance, licence etc.

The biggest restriction to more common use of the current electric bikes is the lack of infrastructure. Until we start separating the bikes from the other traffic then it won’t become a viable option for the majority.

The Dutch and Belgians would never dream of riding a bike on the road. They think we are insane.

scruff9252

Firstly how much power is needed? 250w is a fair bit for a solo bike. Any more and your into something that is a lot more powerful than the tech was designed for.
    How fast is a bike going? How fast is a motorised bike going? Get it wrong and bikes end up under the harsher restrictions.

Why not allow electric bikes to go at 18-20mph? It’s the ‘new’ speed limit being rolled out across many UK towns & cities. It’s fast enough to make good time across a city and crutially be faster than the car equivalent but not so fast that accidents will be catastrophic for the riders.

Any bike capable of going faster than this strightaway falls into the motorbike catagory with all that it entails.

If there can be a managed clear demarakation for motorbikes (125cc etc) I see no reason it couldn’t be managed for e-bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If there can be a managed clear demarakation for motorbikes (125cc etc) I see no reason it couldn’t be managed for e-bikes.

100% I’m all up for clear and simple rules to be set out which means consumers know where they stand, retailers do and everyone else does. If that comes through a power/speed/combination restriction on the assist then off you go. There will always be idiots who go in and derestric too but that is a seperate issue.

At the moment it feels like a free for all starting to happen.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I see someone helpfully deleted my post.

Anyway my biggest bug bear with the 250w limit is the range restriction it places on you.

I’ve yet to see a 250w midmount kit with a 48v battery – they are all 36v and the biggest I’ve found with Branded cells is 14 ah. – range is pretty much simplified to v x ah / 15-20 which means 36v and 14ah is a huge restriction over 48v and 20-30 ah …..not all of us want to do a million miles an hour in a bicycle. After all 30mph sliding down the road doesnt appeal if you come off.

Then there are the small windings and 15 amp controller that like to heat up under heavy load hill climbing.

I agree limitations have to be set but there needs to be a mechanism in place for those above imo to encourage use rather than keeping petrol vehicles on the road.

PS try and get an IVA on your +250w pedelec – good luck finding somewhere in UK to do it. Germans have got on it quick + 250w and you can get a number plate

twisty

The structure of the current mostly makes sense to me.

Below 25km/h ebike does not require licence, must be at least 14.

25-45km/h class AM ‘Scooter’ requires licence

>45km/h various categories of Motorbike A1,A2,A

The boundaries and rules are always debateable, e.g. I don’t see why CBT for class AM can’t be taken at 14 for example.

25km/h is quite a harsh limit for e-bike but then again this is a vehicle with vehicle road worthiness test, licence, or insurance requirements. I think it would be good to create a vehicle class for low momentum vehicles, e.g. below 30kg that could be used on the road up to 45km/h without vehicle testing requirements.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t think 25 kph is harsh at all as most people can’t keep above 25kph even in ideal conditions so the fact that you can keep going at 25 kmph in non idea conditions means it is still as fast or faster than most people cycle at, requires less effort and is still easy to own with no tests required.

A higher power limit for cargo bikes should be allowed. Defining a cargo bike would have to be carefully defined

philjunior
    Free Member

I think one of the benefits of a bike is that your speed is restricted by your fitness, and therefore you will have most of your accidents before you’ve got much speed in your legs.

If you allow more powerful/faster vehicles without licensing requirements, those accidents will take place at higher speeds. For off road use, I don’t really fancy seeing what a load of inexperienced riders with several times the (long term) power output of a fit cyclist (i.e. I’d accept you can sprint at 1000W plus, but not for an entire climb) will do to my local trails. And yes, a lot of them have already been trashed from time to time by trail bikes and trials bikes being naugty, but that doesn’t mean this should be made legal.

In terms of cargo bikes, although you’re not going faster, you are carrying more energy, so it’s justifiable to limit the assistance. Of course perhaps there is space for a less regulated area, but there are justifications for the current restrictions.

benp1

I saw a scooter/e-bike thing on my urban commute yesterday

Looked like a scooter but have pedals (a bit like a moped). No number plate. Guy was wearing a bicycle helmet. Was in a bus lane (that bikes were allowed in but motorbikes/scooters not)

He was also going fairly slowly (and riding quite badly), was late 40s/early 50s

I overtook him and carried on, but then spent a while trying to work out what exactly it was

seosamh77
    Free Member

This turned into an interesting discussion! 🙂

FWIW, I’m on the side of the current law and I think 250W/15.5mph is more than enough for pedal assistance.

g5604
    Free Member

so can can you pedal at say 20mph with a bit of effort ? or is this lost by the extra weight?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

At 15.5mlh the motor cuts out, so downhill you could out pace it, on the flat it’s purely down to how fit you are.

+1 for the current rule being fine as it is.

15.5mph is average club run speed in the steady group, and you can do that uphill on an e-bike.

With the lack of an MOT for bikes would you really want bikes capable of faster speeds being slowed down only by the cheapest cable disks china has to offer?

ulysse
    Free Member

You can pedal as fast as you please as long as you have the legs/ fitness to keep the cadence

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU8I7st8Je4[/video]

check out from about 0.25 as she powers her brompton up the hill, passing the roadie.

twisty

That Sparticle obviously is not legal as a bicycle in the UK.

Only times I’ve used electric bike is to go between sites at work. I found I was always going under my own steam on the flat due to the 15mph cut-off. I wasn’t getting anywhere quicker than just using my own pedal bike but was putting less effort in on the climbs so less likely to get sweaty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘how many people get caught with 1000W pedalecs?’ is closed to new replies.