Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • How many people fund their hobby/race career with "credit"?
  • hora
    Free Member

I’d love a Santa Cruz 5010. It looks like the update of the Blur 4X. I can never buy it though as I don’t ‘owe it to myself/only live once crap’.

I just can’t see it being 500% better than my current bike.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

After years of working in the finance industry I would advice against even the 0% credit stuff.

Open an easy access account with the Yorkshire Bank put in what you can each month/week and spend it as it accumulates sufficiently, easier said than done I know.

Do you work for the Yorkshire Bank ??

With half decent bikes costing silly money these days, you either have to save up for a very long time, or use 0%

The last bike I bought I paid £2,500. (bloody stupid when you can buy a decent car for less) Paid it off 0% over a year. The bike will have to last me probably 8 years + as I can not justify paying that much money on a bike for any less.

I wouldnt have wanted to be without a bike for the year while I saved the cash.

collectively sufficient people will be defaulting and paying a exorbitant interest to make lending to the others profitable

If people can not manage their finances, thats not my issue, and if it enables me to get cheap credit, then fair enough.

However from a society point of view, it is generally the vunerable and less well off people who pay the most for credit.

AlexSimon

Being self-employed, it’s hard to be certain that I will be able to pay off any credit, so I don’t use it.

I save up instead, so I might have to wait a year longer than others to get something. That’s fine. My patience has got better with age 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

With half decent bikes costing silly money these days, you either have to save up for a very long time, or use 0%

That’s maybe where the differences lie
    To me, I can easily find a half decent bike for under a grand

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jota where can you find a half decent full susser for less than £1k that has component’s that will last, and doesn’t weigh the same as a motorbike?

jam-bo

Jota where can you find a half decent full susser for less than £1k that has component’s that will last, and doesn’t weigh the same as a motorbike?

in the classifieds over there >>>>

i paid £300 for a mint frame with <100miles on that had an RRP of £1399.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That’s fine if you are avg Joe size and have a choice of frames, unfortunately I need small frames and they are hard to come by.

Did the seller offer 0% finance? 🙂

Northwind

Halfords… Just over budget for a Vitus from CRC… Probably others. Depends on how ridiculous your definition of “half decent” is mind, you can get a more than decent new bike for a few hundred quid.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Feel this thread needs a link to the new Yeti thread. Likely to be around six grand. Who’s buying these bikes? Maybe perhaps if you are a serious gnarr shredding fluro wearing enduro racer, but would you seriously buy one to noodle around a trail centre? Seems a bit mad 😕

Depends on how ridiculous your definition of “half decent” is mind

Probably way beyond “good enough”.

wilburt
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

After years of working in the finance industry I would advice against even the 0% credit stuff.

Open an easy access account with the Yorkshire Bank put in what you can each month/week and spend it as it accumulates sufficiently, easier said than done I know.

Do you work for the Yorkshire Bank ??

Sadly no but Im happy to recomend them as a customer of twenty years, their also sponsors of cycling and more importantly i like the way they make “spending” on saving easy and enjoyable.

Occasionally if im considering some impulse purchase I dont and put whatever I was about to spend in the building society they make saving as easy as shops make spending.

btw Im not judging you or anyone else, Ive borrowed in the past and still have a juicy mortgage.

jota180
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a 3 year old Yeti 575 with a new drive train on it for £850
    It has some cosmetic damage but it’s totally functional and another 30 quid or so on new pads etc. will see it extremely ‘half decent’
    My current road bike is a 2 year old PX £999 carbon special, which I’d also consider half decent.

hora
    Free Member

Get a secondhand frame powdercoated in a custom colour of your choice and you’ve got a spiffing new bike. I love doing this.

njee20
    Free Member

Until it breaks on the 3rd ride and you’ve sunk a lot of money into something with no comeback whatsoever…

hooli

I honestly don’t think I would sleep at night if I had 18k on credit cards, obviously you may earn significantly more than me so it could be relative.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rarely buy a new bike…. I did buy my 9zero7 frame new but only after18 months of watching out for a used one.

Just bought. New to us car…. Used berlingo for buttons – went through the show rooms looked at all the new models , the bigger vans and it boiled down to – was very nice to sit in the last round of redundancys at work pretty much care free knowing i had enough sitting to last a good number of months before an income was required – much nicer than any new car could be.

As for my bikes – i have quite a few yes ….. But most are going on for 10years old- unfashionable wheel sizes and angles….. But i like em and they get ridden. If i drop them down the road/trail it would be more the sentimentality of the bike as oppose to the value that got me.

And as a good friend once showed me (and many others that day) you dont need a fancy ££££ to kick arse , you just got to want it more than the other guy and put in the time. – as he took the local duathlon trophy from a well known scottish time trialer on a 3 speed shopper with a pannier ( all be it with a massive gear he stuck on)

jam-bo

Until it breaks on the 3rd ride and you’ve sunk a lot of money into something with no comeback whatsoever..

I’d have to break five before I lost out…

adsh
    Free Member

Second job pays for mine. Part time gamekeeper – all parts are measured in deer carcasses. Light bicycle rims with DT240s = approx 10 large deer or 15 roe. The 2015 Sworks Epic will take some earning 😀

jota180
    Free Member

Until it breaks on the 3rd ride and you’ve sunk a lot of money into something with no comeback whatsoever..

Well I sort of base my risk assessment on what I know and what I’ve experienced, [to date] I’ve not broken a bike on it’s 3rd [or 33rd] ride so will gladly file that worry under ‘Unlikely’

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘How many people fund their hobby/race career with "credit"?’ is closed to new replies.