Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • How many people check their receipt at the supermarket?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

75p is 75p right?
    Picked up some Walkers crisps shown at £1.00 & noticed at the self service till they came up at £1.75. Went straight to the customer services counter & mentioned it, got £0.75p back without question, but…how many people don’t check their receipt & pay more than they should?
    It’s not the 1st time It’s happened & I’ve never had it the other way round.
    My response is, ‘I know it’s only £x.xx but have you seen the size of Ken Morrisons (RIP) house compared to mine?’

Anyone else?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Life’s too short..

shermer75
    Free Member

Only if it seems a lot

perchypanther
    Free Member

Always…….but I am tighter than two coats of paint

cardo

And that’s Number Wang

project
    Free Member

seen people taking pictures of prices and then going to customer services to claim a refund.

johndoh
    Free Member

I usually check the expected discounts have been applied but no further – have had the same a few times where ‘3 for £3’ type offers hadn’t been applied.

And just today I spotted I had been charged interest on a CC despite paying in full before the date displayed in the account. They said it was a glitch as I had just come out of a 0% offer. But I had paid it off anyway! I wondered how many other people have already missed this ‘glitch’…

jambalaya
    Free Member

My wife checks everything (we do the shopping together usually)). I would say she funds an error once in every 3 visits (same experiencehere and in France). It is common that marked price isn’t charged on the scan also where
    products are lined up behind a peice tag for a different / cheaper item. This is one reason she likes the self scan as you can check every price as you pick items up.

seen people taking pictures of prices and then going to customer services to claim a refund.

Yep thats us !

matt_outandabout

We do. I think about 1 in 10 visits there is a mis-price. Much worse in Sainsburys than Tesco.

tomhoward

Coop need checking, the offers are calculated in the order they get scanned rather than working out what the best offers will be for your entire bag of shopping.

AdamW
    Free Member

Last Christmas I went to the supermarket and a present of a small bottle of Glenfiddich was accidentally scanned three times. I discovered it the next day so went back and they refunded me twice the incorrect payment, returning £56.

Which I thought was brilliant as they could have said “get stuffed!”.

funkmasterp

Nope, don’t think I’ve ever checked a receipt.

BigJohn

In the old days Tesco used to refund the money AND give you the item free if they overcharged. I used to check quite often then. And enjoy the argument at customer service who denied that policy, even though it was printed on the board behind them.
    These days I use self-scan. Or buy one steal one free, as I call it.

simmy
    Free Member

I always do but I’m a tight so and so.

Like has been said, I use the self serve so I can monitor the price as I’m scanning. You have to be careful in Sainburys though if you get any 2 for 1 deals etc, you have to total it up then press ” go back ” then it takes the discount off. Wonder how many people have not pressed ” go back ” and paid loads more without realising,

I do my main shop at Aldi which doesn’t have self serve so I always check the receipt.

Loads of times in the past I have been overcharged at Morrisons

Cougar

I give it a cursory glance to check that discounts have been applied. Supermarkets are pretty good at hiding non-offer items in amongst the on-offer ones. Not that I’m to a few pence, but it rankles if I’ve specifically bought four of something to find that one of them didn’t count.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve never had it the other way round.

I have. due to double discounts i’ve walked away with shopping and they gave me money.

obviously doesn’t work on a weekly shop but i’f you’ve only got a bag it can happen.

Drac

I’ve had loads of mistakes in my favour more than against.

slowoldman

I usually check the expected discounts have been applied but no further

Same here.

jam-bo

A long time ago I lived next door to Sainsbury’s in Taunton. Go in there 15 mins before closing at grab whatever was yellow stickered for dinner. Except we worked out if a BOGOF deal was yellow stickered it charged the reduced price for the first and then took the full price off for the second.

Play it right and you could leave with a large bag of shopping for about 50p and a very confused checkout operator. Took them a few months to fix the bug.

Edukator
    Free Member

We check, in Lidl I waste my time checking but in Super U there are often errors which are rarely in my favour.

ton

75p is 75p right?

i reckon you are a jock really not a mackem
    you tight old bastard……… 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I always do but I’m a tight so and so.

It’s a matter of principle rather than being ‘a tight so and so’ Simmy. 😉

frankconway

Essel, Ken Morrison would be proud of you; he didn’t make his billions by being overcharged – but I think you have a little way to go yet.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Frank, I’m on it!

dmorts

My wife does it all the time, but only to check discounts I think. I look but I don’t really ‘look’ if you know what I mean. I think I just hope any errors are obviously and get on to doing more interesting things pronto

Coop need checking, the offers are calculated in the order they get scanned rather than working out what the best offers will be for your entire bag of shopping.

Simpler software development required therefore cheaper system to develop/buy

sirromj

8/10

chewkw
    Free Member

I seldom check unless I feel something is not right.

To me few pence extra or missing here and there I consider that donation. But if you buy a lot for the entire family then several pounds difference can equate to pints at the pub.

But I know someone who checks every penny on the receipt every time without a miss even stopping to check and count. The person is not short of a bob or two, yet get very stress if the receipt is not checked.

stuey
    Free Member

Girl in Tesco weighed my coconuts and charged me for chestnuts – true story 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope, life is too short. I just shoplift an item every few weeks to counter any potential loss.

Jakester
    Free Member

Frequently; recently did our weekly shop which was looking significantly more expensive than usual. Checked the receipt and the member of staff on the till had clocked “45” of a particular item, instead of “4”. She was absolutely apologetic, but the manager was less so, plainly implying that we were trying it on and we were buying in bulk (local restaurants sometimes do that if there are offers on) – until I pointed out that they didn’t have 45 of that particular product on the shelf in the first place!

hooli

I don’t but I probably should.

Out of interest, do you ever find errors that work in your favour?

Drac

Girl in Tesco weighed my coconuts and charged me for chestnuts – true story

Did you checkout her melons?

deadkenny
    Free Member

I do a quick scan as have been hit a few times. Once was a bizarre scan for bottle of expensive booze that was no where to be seen or near the till, but it added £20 to the bill and I’d blindly just paid then realised on the receipt before walking out the shop.

Also I insist on the receipt when asked “would you like your receipt?”. Yes I would as I’ve just seen it’s been printed anyway, so if I say no you chuck it away. I may as well have it. Plus in co-op if you ask for the receipt you get the money off coupon for next shop, but don’t otherwise.

So having made the effort to ask for the receipt, I give it a quick check.

Would be great if receipts could be online though. Tie it up with reward cards maybe, log in and there’s the receipt.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Last Saturday 3 x £9 bottle of wine reduced to £6 and MrsYYB noticed at self checkout that full price had been charged. so miserable checkout woman went to check and then pressed 53 buttons to get it sorted all without smiling or acknowledging us once, think she’d had a long hard shift….

Kahurangi

I have a rough mental idea of how much the shop costs to give a roughly right feeling at the checkout. Sometimes I’ll check that specific offers have been applied – either by watching the checkout while scanning or the receipt afterwards.

johndoh
    Free Member

One ‘scam’ that I often notice (and this is at Asda specifically) is that they will sell multipacks of crisps at 3 for £3 but they leave one flavour out of the offer then stack them up right next to the ones on offer so you end up buying three multipacks with no discount applied as one of the multipacks wasn’t part of the offer.

natrix
    Free Member

In my experience Waterstones (buying books) is the worst offender, I add up the total before going to the till as they nearly always overcharge.

Aldi seem to be OK, always check the offers at Tesco and Sainsburys. (Last shop at Tesco was under-charged so much I nearly mentioned it to the lass on the till!!! 🙂 )

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Out of interest, do you ever find errors that work in your favour?

Can’t remember any but It may have happened when I didn’t check.

If I’d done a big shop & bought say, 6 bags of crisps, & not checked I’d be out of pocket by £4.50!

I have inadvertently stolen a single bulb of garlic though, so that’s 37p I owe them.

jimjam
    Free Member

I check my receipts when I’m cleaning out that pocket cubby hole in the car behind the cup holders. Other than that, life is too short. When I worked in retail the people who came back into the store clutching their receipts like little SS men scrutinising “ze papers” for 50p or a pound were almost without fail, the kind of miserable, penny pinching, bumptious *******’s you would expect to waste 10 minutes of their own time for 20p 😆

hooli

Can’t remember any but It may have happened when I didn’t check.

If I’d done a big shop & bought say, 6 bags of crisps, & not checked I’d be out of pocket by £4.50!

I have inadvertently stolen a single bulb of garlic though, so that’s 37p I owe them.

I wasn’t suggesting you were dishonest, more wondering if it was poor organisation on their part or a sneaky way of topping up the profits.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘How many people check their receipt at the supermarket?’ is closed to new replies.