Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • How many people can actually read a map these days?
  • franki
    Free Member

That’s a fine collection, Stoner.
    I love maps too. Never used a GPS. Spend far too long looking at screens as it is, without doing it on the bike as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

The only GPS I use is an old Garmin Foretrex 101 because it can give me an OS grid ref or a WGS84 grid ref for IGN in France for when my Jedi nav skills leave me. It lives in the bottom of the back pack with spare batteries the rest of the time.

Dickyboy

Stoner – propped up by the mahjong box?

Stoner
    Free Member

how the hell can you tell that from there? 😯

Dickyboy

must have had the same set in the chequered box I guess – my grandfather spent the early twentys in china after WW1 & we all played from a young age, is that the set with the non pc ivory counters & bamboo tiles?. If it helps my maps are propped up by a box containing an unstarted Tamiya model of a Moto Guzzi Centauro – I spend too much time fixing the real thing to ever make a start on it.

I love maps too 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

[hijack]
    Wooden tiles with paper designs stuck on one side. Dont think they’re bamboo.
    Think it was my gran’s. Probably English as the Rules of the Game book in the box was published by THE CHAD VALLEY CO. LTD, HARBORNE ENGLAND. Fifth Edition, priced 1/6

Funny what one recognises 😉 [/hijack]

EDIT: The three pictures on this page show an early British Chad Valley game from around 1923/24

Dickyboy

Wooden tiles with paper designs stuck on one side

You obviously had the cheap set then 😉 Same box, rule book & characters on the tiles but on bamboo & little ivory counters – must be at my dad’s house somewhere will have to search it out. My grandad’s set was very un pc had ivory faced tiles an everything in a huge wicker box 😯

hijack over, as you were…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stoner, what a tidy set of shelves, so tidy you can add a subtle wind up for the STW Stasi if they spotted it! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

Hah! Just realised what you mean!
    If it makes anyone feel any better she is kept company by tomes variously by Peter Watt, Boris Yeltsin, Vince Cable (I must have words with Mrs Stoner about that one 🙄 ) and of course the fantastic diaries of Alan Clark 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funnily enoug it was ACs diaries that first caught my eye (from FIL’s bookshelf),

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Crikey, theres alot of well read map readers who obviously like to take pride in looking down on us “none readers/believers”

I cant read a map (unless google maps counts?) and I really dont see why/how it would benefit me if I could.

I mean I live in a town, civilization. Most places I want to go tend to have sign posts. I know where work is, where my bathroom is, where the shops are etc.

If I want to go mtbing, I put my bike in the car and follow the signs to my local trail centre. Here, I follow the way marked trails until I get back to where I parked. Then I go home.

If I want to go wallking then I walk. On a footpath.

I like my life. I know what Im doing. Its safe and I always carry my mobile phone.

I dont get lost. I spend my time enjoying myself.

I am a modern man.

If I want a plug fitting to an electrical appliance then I phone the electrician. Thats what they’re there for.

Dont play the hero. Dont pretend to know what you’re doing with your maps and compasses and cairns. Its all guess work. It tends to be the folk like you that get into trouble. The mountain rescue is run by volunteers, they dont relish a call late on a sunday night to go and resuce a man at a top of a hill whos got lost in a badly folded A0 piece of paper.

Think on.

You really do talk a lot of old tosh mate.

Using a map is guess-work? Really? Back that one up, I dare you.

TBH your life sounds pretty bloody dull to me. Very safe & packaged. No risk, no element of self-dependency, just boring.

A modern man? I bet you moisturise..

& dont rely on that mobile phone to get you out of trouble when the battery dies & there’s no signal.

Youre one of the folk who go out on the hills with no kit & when the Mountain Rescue turn up & ask you what emergency gear you have & you reply “none” youre really gonna feel a plum..

druidh
    Free Member

[img]http://www.influx.com.br/imgblog/hook%20line%20and%20sinker%20final.jpg[/img]

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Maybe but who cares?

Not me – cant beat a good old rant about maps & GPS! 😉

Besides there are some who do think that way..

druidh
    Free Member

Don’t feel bad. davidtaylforth is the STW Grand Master at humourous trolling.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I dont feel bad, Im just bored!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I went to France at the weekend, satnav in car was ok until I hit a little remote bit in Brittany and we got a bit lost.. MrsBouy pulled out the AA Map of France (easily 15years old) from under the seat where I stuck it when I bought the car a few months back “just in case” and whallop.. Back on track within about 20mins..

OS’s rock BTW.

I’m not too sure a GPS would work for me on the MTB nor Roadie, screen a bit small and I’ve got poor eyesight..

wrecker
    Free Member

Having spent a few years in a respected front line unit, my map reading’s better than most. Doesn’t stop me riding trail centres occasionally (nothing wrong with turning your brain off and following signs). Or being open to using a GPS (or at least having one as a back-up).

Of course; all of the navigators on here will produce proper route cards and calculate GMVs, won’t they?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got two post grad qualified ennvironmetnal professionals that work for me – you know youngsters, educated, in the sciences, requiring FIELD WORK.

Anyway we’re doing some survey work for South Cumbria Rivers Trust as freebie and I says to ’em I says ‘you can both read a map, can’t you?’

To whit they reply ‘no, not really, every time we use the road atlas we get lost, just use me satnav’

Jeebus help us.

emac65
    Free Member

Never even tried to read a map(how hard can it be),but can navigate a yacht using charts, allowing for tidal flows & everyfink.Can use a sextant as well………

Although saying that I haven’t done either for nearly 30 years so might be a tad rusty………..

molgrips
    Free Member

What a lot of misty eyed codswallop on this thread!

There are a lot of people out in the countryside who don’t read maps, but there are a lot more people out in it anyway.

I really wish people would stop referring to the past as a time when everyone did everything that they hold dear.

You know what? Video gaming was crap in the old days, long live progress. grr…

mactheknife

CG, honest question – how do you orientate your map without a compass?

Stoner
    Free Member

hold it the right way up.

druidh
    Free Member

According to the landscape?

(which is fine when you can see it)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A modern man? I bet you moisturise..

Best put-down eva!

mactheknife

No point trying to map read without a compass. You get into unfamiliar terrain (obviously) and with no blindingly obvious features to orientate to then what is the point in having a map? Might as well walk around hoping everything works out 🙂

Map and compass go together like runny eggs and toast 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How many people can actually read a map these days?’ is closed to new replies.