Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How many people are you away from the Olympic cycling team?
  • beej

How far down the list of potential British Olympic cyclists do you think you are?

In other words, how many cyclists (of your chosen discipline – road/track/MTB) who are better than you would have to be injured/dead/locked in the toilet before Dave Brailsford gives you a ring?

I reckon I must easily be in the top 10,000.

[And let’s ignore any realistic discussion of qualification criteria…]

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s only pushing pedals around and around, . . . . I should be there, . . . I’ve been shockingly overlooked! 😀

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Ed Clancy is in our cycling club and I’m getting my track acreditation next month so I should be at least top 10. 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I’m pretty good at hanging onto cars going uphill and then letting rip down the other side so fairly close, I’d say

nonk
    Free Member

if i roll myself up into a small ball he has promised me a ride as a bottom bracket bearing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My Dad is an old climbing friend of David Brailsford’s Dad and I can ride a bike. I must be in with a shot

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bought Malcolm Elliot a beer once, surely I’m lead out for Cav.

Houns

I’m probably the highest ranked clean rider

njee20
    Free Member

Well I’m ranked 38th Expert at this moment, there’s 60 elites, 2 Olympic positions, so theoretically I’m 96th in line, ignoring the vets/masters who are actually far quicker than me 🙂

There is a reasonably prolific poster here who’s within 5 places!

beej

Right, on that basis I’m promoting myself to top 1000.

mossimus
    Free Member

I’m happy to take lots of drugs so must be in with a shout?

iain1775
    Free Member

If it means I would have to ride THAT ‘mountain bike’ course I’m happy to be near the bottom of the list 😉

clubber
    Free Member

These days, a long, long way off 🙁

woody2000

I reckon I’d be in the top <however many mountain bikers there are in the UK>, easily.

🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

apparently mum was the village bike (still got no idea what that means) but that makes me 50%bike so i’ve got to be in the top 3 or 4 surely?

finbar
    Free Member

I was riding with Malcolm Elliott a few years ago and when the road started going uphill i stayed on his wheel for all of about eight seconds. Dave, if you’re reading this, yes i am free in August next year.

molgrips
    Free Member

there’s 60 elites

That all? Wow.

So if I come say 20th from 100 in Sport at a British XC.. hmm.. only have to kill a few hundred people.

The question is though how many people are better than Expert or Elite racers but don’t race?

richmtb

lol at philconsequence

Unless they make pushing down DH courses an olympic sport, pretty far away!

njee20
    Free Member

The question is though how many people are better than Expert or Elite racers but don’t race?

Personally I reckon fewer than you think! There will inevitably be a few, but I can’t see that many people being dedicated enough to train for hours, but not want to compete. Certainly the case with top of Expert/Elite I reckons.

tang
    Free Member

Ok not cycling but nearish; our marathon runner, Dan Robinson, runs past my house twice a day like a rocket. I did beat him in a race in the summer. Ok it was our kids school duck race down the stream. gotta put me up there ish?

njee20
    Free Member

Although on Molgrips point there must be a lot of road racers who either were, or would be, very handy MTB racers. Ross Creber, Scott Thwaites and Ian Wilkinson spring to mind straight away.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i can think of 1 or 2 riders that dont race and could hold there own in expert at least and have beaten some elites in very long races …..

and its not me thats for sure- id be lucky to beat my rear wheel across the line at the moment !

molgrips
    Free Member

Personally I reckon fewer than you think! There will inevitably be a few, but I can’t see that many people being dedicated enough to train for hours, but not want to compete

Yeah and it’s not just fitness, it’s race adaption and craft too.

Most people who ride loads for the hell of it without racing of some kind as a goal would probably get many miles in but not push themselves to the extend you need to to be really good at racing, so they’d maybe do well in endurance stuff.

But yes you’d have to put all the Cat 2 and above roadies above me too, and probably much of cat 3 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

1 as my mates is mates with a olympic gold medal winning cyclist – I have met him a couple of times.
    Me it would require a lot of deaths for me to even get close even when I was young and tried harder.

logic1980
    Free Member

think iv got more chance if i buy my private island and call it great brytain – as long as its flat – haha

16stonepig
    Free Member

And here I was thinking that this thread was going to be some kind of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon dealy.

I’m in the top 99%

smiththemainman
    Free Member

No of uk MTBers – 3 + 1 = My position.
    in other words i`m in the middle of our peleton of 3.(usually)
    Base it on enjoyment Podium finish. 😛

mattsccm
    Free Member

Dave B’s dad, John was my head of department at Bangor Normal college. I once went for a ride with him and other son .
    John used to organise annual traing sessions with our dept and the Falcon racing team. Didn’t some of them ride for the Uk at some point?

bikerbruce
    Free Member

well i was tenth in the rankings till last week in expert so that makes me 70places away….but of course dc would be the closest within 10 places for the mtb…then again i can beat the bottom 15 ranked elites so?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I can think of 3 that would be doing bloody well in elite, if not winning, but dont currently race XC.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mrs BS is the Soigneur to the GB MTB Team so I reckon that makes it 1 person away for me?

MisterT

Nick Graig drinks in my local, and I can easily drink him under the table… and when I used to live in Bristol I drank in same pub as Oli.B and could drink him under the table too… so guess my skills qualify me to take a role on the team?

LS
    Free Member

bikerbruce – Member
    well i was tenth in the rankings till last week in expert so that makes me 70places away….but of course dc would be the closest within 10 places for the mtb…then again i can beat the bottom 15 ranked elites so?

Well I’m currently ranked 27th in Sport so miles away, but then again I can beat last weeks’ 10th ranked Expert so….? 😉 😆

Dickyboy

I went to school with Peter Keen – I’m sure he’d put in a good word for me 😀

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

There is a reasonably prolific poster here who’s within 5 places!

Ahhhhh you guys! You’re too kind, you know I dont like to shout about it.

Esme
    Free Member

Ah Mattsccm, so you were also a “Basil’s Boy”? 😉

bikerbruce
    Free Member

ok lee…less of the chit chat…rankings wise 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I can think of 3 that would be doing bloody well in elite, if not winning, but dont currently race XC.

Presumably they used to race though? Otherwise how do you know. I really struggle to believe there are professional standard athletes out there who’ve just never tried racing. Maybe at a Scottish XC or sommat, but I can’t see anyone turning up to a race for the first time and worrying the top 10 in an Elite NPS.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Yeah agreed Njee. Anyone can talk a good race but until you’ve actually pitted yourself against Oli, Liam, Fletcher, etc then I just don’t believe it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How many people are you away from the Olympic cycling team?’ is closed to new replies.